Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:16:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SD card Rippoff?

Started by Neomod, December 26, 2020, 11:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

Got a SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card off ebay (advertises speeds of up to 100mb p/s) for music on my phone and it seemed a bit slow. Did a speed test and the result was 15.48mb's p/s (read) and 1.94 mb's p/s (write). This isn't right is it and I've probably bought a fake?

Is 15.48mb's p/s even an acceptable minimum even though the card says 'up to'? Phone is a moto G7 plus so no slouch and worked well with the previous 64gb card.

Can the panel confirm/deny I've been sold a lemon?

greenman

What results do you get for your old card on the same phone and what speed rating does that have?

Neomod

This is the speed test result for the previous 64gb card (about 5 years old). Both cards are sandisk Ultra, both rated 10

It's possible that the new card may be faulty as I was getting slight gliches when music played and the album art had to load in every time I opened the app. On the previous card it only did this when new music was added.

I think i'll be returning it as faulty but i'm surprised that the difference in advertised and actual speeds is so huge.

edit. Actually the above is the 32gb result. (I've been swapping cards around)

This is the result for the previous 64gb micro sd in my phone. Read: 19.30, Write: 9.68

The write speed on the recently bought sd seems to be an indication of faultiness as the other two cards seem to have consistent scores.

canadagoose

Quote from: Neomod on December 26, 2020, 11:08:42 AM
Got a SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card off ebay (advertises speeds of up to 100mb p/s) for music on my phone and it seemed a bit slow. Did a speed test and the result was 15.48mb's p/s (read) and 1.94 mb's p/s (write). This isn't right is it and I've probably bought a fake?

Is 15.48mb's p/s even an acceptable minimum even though the card says 'up to'? Phone is a moto G7 plus so no slouch and worked well with the previous 64gb card.

Can the panel confirm/deny I've been sold a lemon?
Possibly fake, yeah - how much did you pay for it? Also, be sure to run H2testw on it to test its capacity.

Neomod

Paid £13.30. Just tested with H2testw and it doesn't look good.

So have formatted the card (erased) and testing again.

Blimey 4 hours to go!

canadagoose

That's a bugger. Hopefully you can get your money back through eBay - if you include those screenshots as evidence, they might be more likely to rule in your favour.

BTW, here's a good deal for one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JYC4XM/

Neomod

Quote from: canadagoose on December 26, 2020, 08:21:11 PM
That's a bugger. Hopefully you can get your money back through eBay - if you include those screenshots as evidence, they might be more likely to rule in your favour.

BTW, here's a good deal for one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter-Performance/dp/B073JYC4XM/

Yeah, return has already been agreed by seller.

Ah, I don't use Amazon but thanks.

canadagoose

Quote from: Neomod on December 26, 2020, 10:10:26 PM
Ah, I don't use Amazon but thanks.
Ah, fair enough - that must be a bit of a challenge nowadays. Very.co.uk has a Samsung card for a similar price plus £3 postage if you're arsed.

Sebastian Cobb

Hotukdeals is usually pretty good for scoping out offers on sd cards (and SSD's). Unfortunately there's too many clones/dodgy cards that pretend they're bigger than they are floating about on ebay.

Neomod

I was aware of the size faking thing hence my spider senses tingling when the card seemed 'a bit slow'.

As i've not used this software before i'm not sure if this result actually means it's a 32gb card with 97gb 'missing'.

Quote from: canadagoose on December 27, 2020, 12:40:34 AM
that must be a bit of a challenge nowadays.

Haven't used Amazon for about 5 years now but when I did I had to return a fair amount of faulty stuff to them an all. Ebay has basically evolved into Amazon now anyway[nb]I miss the old days[/nb].

canadagoose

Quote from: Neomod on December 27, 2020, 11:18:39 AM
As i've not used this software before i'm not sure if this result actually means it's a 32gb card with 97gb 'missing'.
It does, yes - there'll be 32GB of physical storage on it, but the card will be "lying" about its capacity to the OS. So, whenever you try to write something past the 32GB mark, it'll just overwrite some other stuff to make room.

Neomod

Quote from: canadagoose on December 27, 2020, 05:16:56 PM
It does, yes - there'll be 32GB of physical storage on it, but the card will be "lying" about its capacity to the OS. So, whenever you try to write something past the 32GB mark, it'll just overwrite some other stuff to make room.

No wonder he agreed the return so quickly then as that was the photo I sent ebay.

peanutbutter

I've only had one of these on ebay, the seller immediately returned the money so was no biggie on my end. Mostly just grab one with an absolutely huge number of existing sales and it's grand. eBay is a great place to trick people into buying bullshit ones though cos it handles items with variable price ranges so terribly. I imagine a lot of people are more than happy to find the first listing that's actually the size they want instead of a 128MB option listed for £2 and then the 128GB at £100

Sebastian Cobb

I imagine some of these aren't just unscrupulous sellers, with hundreds of cards that all lie, could be a case that they've bought knowingly or unknowingly cards made from batches of memory that failed qa and then got sold off cheap.