Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:58:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wolf Of Snow Hollow

Started by rjd2, December 26, 2020, 07:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

From the chap who brought us the excellent Thunder road.

A werewolf may or may not be killing people in  a small town where our protagonist a cop is going through some issues.

Its pretty funny and engaging and if you like Thunderroad unsure how this will annoy you that much as similar vibe. Its only 80 minutes also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q03zOoH-hGo

Moribunderast

I really enjoyed this and absolutely love Jim Cummings. I had an ill-fated thread on Thunder Road on this Board, as it was possibly my favourite film of whichever yet it came out. For whatever reason, Cummings' humour and his performance-style just really resonates with me. Wolf Of Snow Hollow is VERY similar, even down to him playing an unstable cop again, but the horror element was fun. I'm really eager to see what he can cook up in future.

Vitalstatistix

More people should be watching and talking about this film!

Thunder Road was decent, but this takes all the good bits and discards some of the more maudlin aspects of that film and is, for me, a massive step forwards in every regard.

This could so easily have been a derivative mashup (you can almost imagine the pitch: Coens do Zodiac, but werewolves!) but Cummings' writing and delivery elevate it so much, not to mention the cinematography and note-perfect ensemble performances. I mean, fucking hell, every film fan should watch this for Forster's final performance, if nothing else!

WestHill

Outstanding.

The film's internal comedic rhythm takes a moment to tune into but once you're in it's just beautiful.

Bazooka

This was pretty good, I've not seen his other work, but he was stand out in this.

rjd2

Quote from: Bazooka on December 31, 2020, 11:41:31 PM
This was pretty good, I've not seen his other work, but he was stand out in this.

Look up Thunderroad also plays a cop and the film has a similar tone which was his previous work.

I think its on Netflix or Prime.

traler below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTjYRFZOf4I

Bazooka

Bence Fekete

Enjoyed it very much. Knew when to dispense the humour and knew when to dispense the suspense.

I also thought:
Spoiler alert
having the monster turn out to be the prosaic answer was a really nice mini-twist, esp after sensing we would swing out to magic realism by the finale, and then that final se7en like execution a surprisingly satisfying ending
[close]

It's a movie that makes smart moves in most categories (pace, script, cast, editing) and thus = joy to watch.

Twonty Gostelow

I thought Thunder Road was superb, and enjoyed a lot of this one too, but wondered if
Spoiler alert
(given that it turns out to be a depraved sex killer, not a werewolf) the murders
[close]
were treated a bit too lightly, from a human standpoint. Someone told me that Jim Cummings said he wasn't totally happy with it because he was put under pressure to change too much. His original vision was for his character to be especially unlikeable, so maybe his character should have been less klutzy.

zomgmouse

I guess I must be the odd one out here but I did not really care for this much at all, it just felt a bit nothingy. Much was recycled from Thunder Road and it seemed to massively run out of steam in the final act. On one hand it felt much more grounded and "crafted" as compared to Thunder Road but at the same time lost a lot of the character of it. I liked some of the interactions but a lot just didn't land for me.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on August 17, 2021, 08:21:00 AM
I guess I must be the odd one out here but I did not really care for this much at all, it just felt a bit nothingy. Much was recycled from Thunder Road and it seemed to massively run out of steam in the final act. On one hand it felt much more grounded and "crafted" as compared to Thunder Road but at the same time lost a lot of the character of it. I liked some of the interactions but a lot just didn't land for me.

I felt like that too and was really disappointed by it, just scraping a 5/10 rating.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 17, 2021, 10:22:22 AM
I felt like that too and was really disappointed by it, just scraping a 5/10 rating.

Ah glad to know I'm not the only one - I think I gave it a 6/10 but I'm liking it less and less as I think about it

I must have watched it alongside that borat sequel.

QuoteThe Wolf of Snow Hollow - *

Boring, unfunny, annoying. Crap acting.

Borat 2  -**

Good enough, a couple of nice lines.

Shit Good Nose

Reading all sorts of reviews of his work to date, I think Cummings is very much like Wes Anderson in that loads of people think he's a genius, whilst a small handful are left completely cold by his films (I fall into the latter category with Anderson).

I've not seen Wolf Of Snow Hollow yet, but I have seen Thunder Road and I thought it was fine but lacking much more humour than I was expecting having read several reviews that painted it as this amazing comedy (it's much better described as a small character drama [a very well observed character drama, to be fair] that has a few witty moments).  Definitely a one-and-done watch for me.

But as soon as Wolf turns up on Netflix or TV I will give it a spin.  Mind you, a mate of mine says it's no Wolfcop...