Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Masked Singer UK

Started by Blinder Data, December 26, 2020, 11:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Anyone else watch this tacky nonsense? I can't help but shout "WHO IS IT???" at the telly like a proper ITV lemon

Funnily enough I was half-right with my guess for the one who got unmasked:
Spoiler alert
I said it sounded like someone trying to sing like Sophie Ellis-Bextor but didn't quite have the chops. Oh dear, Sophie. Always a bit embarrassing when the pros get booted out early.
[close]

Icehaven

I've not seen it but do the professional singers deliberately try and not sound like themselves to avoid detection? Can see that backfiring if it means they're out of their familiar range and techniques etc.

Totally agree with your assessment of tacky nonsense, and I also bloody love it.  After a year of global upheaval it's so nice to have a show where nothing remotely matters.

I got the one tonight, because I thought that the costume actually looked a bit like them (the eyes!) and the clues were a bit obvious. 
Spoiler alert
Why on earth do professional performers go on it though?  Last year Katherine Jenkins was on it and the panel kept saying stuff like, ooh, what a GREAT singer, I think it could be Sherree from Emmerdale, she's good!!!
[close]

Thomas

Not watched crap telly in ages, but this formed part of tonight's Boxing Day schedule. I was struck by how deftly they managed to string 12 minutes of content into an hour of ad-punctuated tack. Quite enjoyed the 12 minutes but I wouldn't sit through a full ep again.

Say what you like about the Beeb, but you never get Richard Osman announcing that they'll be back after the fifth break in 30 minutes.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Thomas on December 26, 2020, 11:36:11 PM
I was struck by how deftly they managed to string 12 minutes of content into an hour of ad-punctuated tack.

I watched the first series last year and enjoyed it, but I observed it was a bit slow moving. ... But then ITV showed a series of the US version (the 2nd series for some reason, not the 1st) and it was horribly rushed which made it much less enjoyable (as well as me not having heard of half the people), and then it made me reassess that the UK version was at just the right pace.

GMTV

WHO'S THAT'S BEHIND THE MASKS

Quote from: GMTV on December 27, 2020, 08:53:53 AM
WHO'S THAT'S BEHIND THE MASKS

WHAT ARE YOU?
WHO DONE IT?
FOR FUCKS SAKE
WHO'S THAT ONE UP THE MASKS?

Love this stupid nonsense. The costumes are beautifully done and this year you suspect anyone UK-based could take part to make a bit of cash to make up for lost income.

Davina McCall was saying that this year's contestants were all trying to disguise their voices to some degree and that it was much harder to guess than last year. I guess our best clue is that if someone sounds like a crappy tribute act, it might well be the real deal.

holyzombiejesus

We were lucky as we switched the TV on just in time for the last 3 minutes. The most shocking transformation on last night's show was Davina McCall's face. My wife asked if she was back on the heroin.

olliebean

Quote from: Thomas on December 26, 2020, 11:36:11 PM
Not watched crap telly in ages, but this formed part of tonight's Boxing Day schedule. I was struck by how deftly they managed to string 12 minutes of content into an hour of ad-punctuated tack. Quite enjoyed the 12 minutes but I wouldn't sit through a full ep again.

It should definitely be an hour slot (i.e., 45-odd minutes of telly plus ads), rather than 90 minutes. It'd be easy to cut all the padding that makes it drag by the end.

On the subject of who's who, there's seems to be a consensus that the dragon is
Spoiler alert
Sue Perkins
[close]

Dex Sawash

Honestly thought this was a normal cunts try for fame show but they might be ugly and have no chance.

Blinder Data

for the true Masked Singer experience, I RECOMMEND keeping off Twitter and avoiding speculation. The internet sleuths tend to work out the identities pretty quickly and that ruins the fun

My main memory of Masked Singer Twitter was Charlotte Church trending every week right up until Nicola Roberts won it.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: olliebean on December 27, 2020, 08:25:39 PM
It should definitely be an hour slot (i.e., 45-odd minutes of telly plus ads), rather than 90 minutes. It'd be easy to cut all the padding that makes it drag by the end.

No, that's exactly what the US version does and it's dogshit.

Some random observations.
I thought one of them was Noel Edmonds from the opening clues until they opened their mouth and it obviously wasn't.
One of the opening clues included the text 'because I want to' which suggests Billie Piper although it probably isn't.
I thought one of them (can't remember which one but it was earlier rather than later in the show) might be Paloma Faith putting on a different voice.
Jonathan Ross is obviously taking the Ken Jeong role this series, with all his ridiculous guesses.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 28, 2020, 01:40:49 AM
I thought one of them was Noel Edmonds from the opening clues until they opened their mouth and it obviously wasn't.
Jonathan Ross is obviously taking the Ken Jeong role this series, with all his ridiculous guesses.

So was your Neol guess different from his? I can't remember which costume it was, but one of the clues was something about flying without wings which prompted him to say "Must be someone who owns a helicopter - Mike SmithNoel Edmonds!"

George Oscar Bluth II

My wife thinks I'm a mystic for correctly guessing Sophie Ellis-Bextor but I thought it was obviously her trying v hard not to sound like herself and failing.

I really do want some of their guesses to be right. Imagine if The Stig from Top Gear can also sing like that, what a world.

My guess for this series is that cos no cunt in the music biz has anything to do there might be some genuinely big names involved. Not like Macca or Mick Jagger big but like...Robbie Williams big.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 28, 2020, 11:36:47 AM
So was your Neol guess different from his? I can't remember which costume it was, but one of the clues was something about flying without wings which prompted him to say "Must be someone who owns a helicopter - Mike SmithNoel Edmonds!"

Can't remember which one it was but during the opening clues it showed something in a box, then a deal or no deal reference, and a shot of some walls that reminded me of the Roman amphitheatre setting that Neol appeared in when he was on I'm A Celeb.  Then the song starts and I realise that no way in hell, is that Neol.

olliebean

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 28, 2020, 11:36:47 AM

My housemate is convinced that one (the Robin, I think) is
Spoiler alert
Nicola Adams
[close]
, and that clue is further evidence because
Spoiler alert
she's a flyweight
[close]

JesusAndYourBush

Tonights show, I think Blob is
Spoiler alert
Lenny Henry
[close]
because it sounds exactly like him.
I think Bush Baby is
Spoiler alert
Brian Conley
[close]

Both guesses based solely on their singing voices, not the disguised voices with put-on accents or the pathetic tenuous clues.

phantom_power

I reckon the first one was Gabrielle because it sounds just like her. I agree with you about Blob and I reckon the Clock is Jermaine Jenas

Gurke and Hare

Clock singing Rock Around the Clock seemed really weirdly old-fashioned - almost like one of the acts off off 3-2-1. It's a very odd show bu I'm glad it exists.

Gulftastic

I like singing competitions for the most part, but on the ads the judges looks insufferable, so I've not dared watch. Have I chosen wisely?

phantom_power

it's not really a singing competition. It is a guessing game. They aren't judging the quality of the singers, or if they are it is very much secondary to working out who the celebrity is. They are more contestants than judges

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 03, 2021, 04:26:03 PM
I like singing competitions for the most part, but on the ads the judges looks insufferable, so I've not dared watch. Have I chosen wisely?

Before this year I've avoided all the singing competitions (except Eurovision) apart from the clips people linked to on youtube to laugh at, but this year because of lockdown I found myself watching stuff I'd not watched before.  I found BGT to be fun because they have a good mix of singers, and some of them are bad singers which is always good for a laugh, and there's also some non-singing acts (magicians, acrobats, weird shit) for a bit of variety.  Then I watched the first series of Masked Singer and that was fun because the costumes are really good and it adds an element of fun when you don't know who's singing and have to guess.  Then I watched The Voice Kids and that was entertaining because their singing abilities are impressive for someone so young.  Then I watched The Voice and everyone was singing incredibly mediocre pop songs and none of them were that impressive and I sacked it off within about 15 minutes.

And the world will have to burn before I'm reduced to watching Strictly.

jobotic

Jordan Peterson and Julie Burchill have both got books out so expect them to appear soon

Blinder Data

my wife is convinced the blob is
Spoiler alert
Dave Benson-Philips, which would make a lot of sense due to the clues about kids and goo. however I'm pretty sure anyone can hire him for a party for a few hundred quid so he's definitely a wildcard pick. not exactly a big name
[close]

was I the only one who didn't recognise Mel B due to her plastic surgery? take off your other mask, love!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 09, 2021, 12:42:24 PM
Spoiler alert
due to the clues about kids and goo
[close]

Spoiler alert
This is what they want!
[close]

George Oscar Bluth II

I thought the blob was
Spoiler alert
Jack Whitehall
[close]
with the clues about kids referring to
Spoiler alert
that sitcom he's in where he's a teacher
[close]
Spoiler alert
He
[close]
also sounded like how I imagine
Spoiler alert
Jack Whitehall
[close]
sounds when singing.

Blinder Data

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 09, 2021, 02:21:33 PM
Spoiler alert
This is what they want!
[close]

It's true, trying to follow the clues is a fool's game. I love it when they reveal that the basis of the clue that everyone is puzzling over is some music video or DVD extra that they cameoed in in 2004. So obvious!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 09, 2021, 02:21:33 PM
Spoiler alert
This is what they want!
[close]

One of the masked singers is Chris Tarrant?

olliebean

Getting bored with this already this year. I feel like I need to know who they are in advance to decide whether I'm interested in watching them any more. Maybe I'll just check who's been unmasked each week, then go back and just watch their bits in the unlikely event it's anyone I give a shit about.