Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:17:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Masked Singer UK

Started by Blinder Data, December 26, 2020, 11:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

Caught a few minutes of this earlier, truly end of days stuff. Reminded me of The Tweenies, but with more coke and fewer ideas.

C_Larence

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on January 10, 2021, 12:39:03 AM
Caught a few minutes of this earlier, truly end of days stuff. Reminded me of The Tweenies, but with more coke and fewer ideas.

Yeah, it has a real dystopian vibe to it. The bit at the end where the mob audience chant at The Masked Singer™ to "TAKE IT OFF" would make even Paul Verhoeven say "actually you know what, that's a bit in the nose"

I absolutely hate the format with the panel/judges. They add literally nothing to the show. I just fundamentally cannot give a fuck who Jonathan Ross thinks it might be, he might as well guess Harold Shipman for all I care. I assume those bits are there for people at home to agree or disagree with, but I don't hear Davina McCall say "Badger said they live life in the fast lane, i think it's a formula one driver" and think to myself "how interesting, perhaps she's right and therefore it's Lewis Hamilton", rather it makes me think "life is impermanent, the world is crumbling around us all and this is how I am choosing to spend my time". The same could be said of most of ITV's output to be fair.

I'm also 100% sure I know who two of The Masked Singers™ are, which makes the guessing section even more soul destroying to watch, as they presumably are told not to get it right too soon.
Spoiler alert
the clock is the black guy from the chase, and the blob is lenny henry.
[close]

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: C_Larence on January 10, 2021, 05:45:48 AM
Yeah, it has a real dystopian vibe to it. The bit at the end where the mob audience chant at The Masked Singer™ to "TAKE IT OFF" would make even Paul Verhoeven say "actually you know what, that's a bit in the nose"

I absolutely hate the format with the panel/judges. They add literally nothing to the show.

I can't believe that is true. Would millions tune in if it was a parade of costumes in an earnest singing contest? Plus it means one of them can say, "is it Alan Partridge? I mean Alan Titchmarsh"

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: C_Larence on January 10, 2021, 05:45:48 AMI'm also 100% sure I know who two of The Masked Singers™ are, which makes the guessing section even more soul destroying to watch, as they presumably are told not to get it right too soon.
Spoiler alert
the clock is the black guy from the chase, and the blob is lenny henry.
[close]

Regarding the identification of the blob - out  of the panellists, only Jonathan Ross is old enough to have seen said person singing, and he's taken on the Jen-Jeong-ridiculous-wrong-guesses role.  If Wossy is going to guess correctly it'll only be at the very last moment before blob is unmasked.

C_Larence

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on January 10, 2021, 12:23:30 PM
I can't believe that is true. Would millions tune in if it was a parade of costumes in an earnest singing contest? Plus it means one of them can say, "is it Alan Partridge? I mean Alan Titchmarsh"

No idea whether millions would still tune in. It's a moot point though, as ITV could never produce a show without contracting a few extraneous celebrities to artificially pad things out. Sophie Ellis Bextor said 3 of the judges said it was her, but that they edited it out, so what is the point of having them guess at all? It's not worth the chance that someone might say "Alan Partridge" by accident.

Blinder Data

the reveal of the grandfather clock did surprise me, though it feels like if the judges knew anything about football it would've been an easy guess

the backing dancers are the best things about this programme. i recommend focusing on them during the songs, some hilarious costumes and choreography

phantom_power

I was convinced it was Jermaine Jenas and then when Hoddle sang he song at the end I just thought "of course that sounds exactly like Hoddle from all the times I  have heard him sing"

Blob is definitely Lenny Henry though, and that other one is 100% Gabrielle

Blofelds Cat

Been sucked into watching this with a grim fascination---Harlequin is Selina Scott and fairly sure Sausage is Sheridan Smith...

jobotic

The clues have been so obvious that they might has well have said Sausage was Sheridan Smith

bgmnts

Quote from: olliebean on January 09, 2021, 08:22:26 PM
Getting bored with this already this year. I feel like I need to know who they are in advance to decide whether I'm interested in watching them any more. Maybe I'll just check who's been unmasked each week, then go back and just watch their bits in the unlikely event it's anyone I give a shit about.

Yeah the concept is jarring because obviously the mystery is the pull but its built on a singing talent show format, which, lets face it, nobody really cares about even in a show without a gimmick like this.

I'd wish this was more like It's a Knockout or something.

non capisco

Blob might as well be starting his performances shouting 'Katanga!' it's that obvious.

olliebean

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 28, 2020, 01:40:49 AM
No, that's exactly what the US version does and it's dogshit.

I haven't seen the US version of this, but I did watch episode 1 of The Masked Dancer the other day, which was about 45 minutes - probably an hour with ads - and didn't seem to have cut anything significant compared to the UK Masked Singer. I can't see myself watching any more of it, because the standard of dancing was mostly shit and I didn't recognise about 90% of the names they were guessing, but I had no issues with its shorter length and I maintain an hour long timeslot would be better for the Masked Singer UK.

BlodwynPig

be funny if one of the masked singers took the mask off to reveal a masked singer from a previous series. "Reveal yourself The Eunuch!"..."It's....The Paedo...Oh GOOOODDDDDDD I SHUDDA KNOWNNNN!"

Gurke and Hare

Apparently the songs they are singing tonight are a clue, so I reckon Harlequin is Suzi Perry, Badger is Jacko off of Brush Strokes and Bush Baby is Julian Assange.

Gurke and Hare

Ha, I had the right idea but for the wrong one.

jobotic

Thomson was obvious, as is Henry and Smith. No idea about the others and don't care and can't believe I sat here watching this instead of leaving the room and sitting in the cupboard humming.

JesusAndYourBush

I thought the hot dog was Stacey Solomon during the speaking bit before the song, one of the panel guessed her too.
And of course Joshua Yarlog / Theopholis P Wildebeeste / Aaa-aaah! Aaa-aaah! Katanga my friends! was obvious as ever.

Jasha

The Badger is
Spoiler alert
Jonny Rea
[close]
isn't it?[nb]not that I'd ever admit to watching[/nb]

Blinder Data

I'm on team robin. don't know who he is, maybe some JLS bloke

olliebean

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 31, 2021, 06:45:40 PM
I'm on team robin. don't know who he is, maybe some JLS bloke

Someone who thinks a lot of himself, judging by his body language.

bgmnts

Quote from: olliebean on January 31, 2021, 06:54:44 PM

Generic "I've had it hard i used to be shy but I found strength" story sounds like someone in their 20s.

George Oscar Bluth II

Surely Ross knew that was Lenny Henry. Surely.

Bently Sheds

Poor old
Spoiler alert
Morton Harket
[close]
. Million selling, internationally renowned recording artist famed for his distinctive voice and the panel guess he's either shouty twat Ricky Kaiser Chief, Bear Grylls or Louis fucking Theroux.

And that Rita Ora can fuck right off with her Paul Weller haircut and lockdown breaking shenanigans.

phantom_power

Harket suffered from the bluff of doing one of his own songs. It seemed too obvious when he sang it and sounded exactly like A-ha

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: olliebean on January 31, 2021, 06:54:44 PM

Badger was restlessly flicking his leg so much it has to be someone full of themselves like Jamiroquai.

olliebean

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2021, 09:00:56 AM
Harket suffered from the bluff of doing one of his own songs. It seemed too obvious when he sang it and sounded exactly like A-ha

That, plus the accent, plus the phone call where every other word was "A-ha." I feel like they're making them more obvious this year compared to last.

phantom_power

And yet the judges still guess things like Cardi B or Prince Charles or other fuckers who would never lower themselves to doing the Masked Singer

jobotic

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on February 01, 2021, 09:05:15 AM
Badger was restlessly flicking his leg so much it has to be someone full of themselves like Jamiroquai.

Linehan

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2021, 09:00:56 AM
Harket suffered from the bluff of doing one of his own songs...

Last week my brother thought Harlequin was Gabrielle, then this week in a montage it showed she'd sung Dreams in one of the earlier shows (which he hadn't seen), so if it's her that's another one.

phantom_power

She did a song called Out of Reach as well, which matches the video clue this week