Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pressies 2020 (the what you got given for Christ mas thread)

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, December 27, 2020, 12:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Decent bunch of stuff which was good
Had to drop the family ones off a week ago at a distance and open them on zoom but it worked out semi decent. Lady Angrew got me beers and a book on walks in the south east which was pretty decent all in all (gave her some kind of fancy bag).
From family I got:
-Big hamper of food and beers
-Look Around You on DVD
-Adam Buxton's Ramblebook
-Big architecture book
-Corduroy big shirt handmade by my sister (this was a very good pressie)
Gave:
-assortment of books, DVDs and chocolate and that sort of thing.

Over to you lot

If you didn't get or give anything due to the deadly virus in the air then feel free to NOT POST IN MY THREAD

QDRPHNC

Icehaven

I got a tablet (the computer kind, not the pill kind) from Mr H, which I absolutely wasn't expecting as we'd agreed to just keep it small this year but he not unreasonably said it was the only thing he could think of as it's the only thing he knew I wanted (was fully intending to get one in the January sales.)
Very glad I got him an extra pressie now as the two things I got him originally were a bit lame, but the extra one is great and he needs it (new bike helmet). I am supremely shit at buying presents though, I never know what people really want and I don't know if it's because I don't pay enough attention to what people like or I'm just over thinking it, or a bit of both. Still never bought anyone socks though so I'm not too bad.

Tony Tony Tony

Tickets to the Banksy exhibition (starts March in that London)
A little leather case for my AirPods (stop me misplacing the feckers)
A big feck off box of sweeties (retro ones)
Some socks from my kids. Gratefuly received as I never buy for myself in fact I have pairs of socks older than my children.

Dex Sawash

Heated steering wheel cover because my Volvo has a shitty wood one that looks stupid and is cold as fuck.

Ukulele because I watch ukulele teacher on YouTube, I watch Drain Addict more but did she get me a fuckoff pressure washer/rooter van?

4 Seasons Total Landscaping Tshirt (which I won't wear for at least 2 years)

Lumbago

buzby

A brake pipe flaring tool, brake pipe bending tool and a spark plug wrench.

thenoise

Watch
Aftershave (Tom Ford - my first bottle of which helped to seduce her years ago. Thanks, Danger man).
Nibbles, chocs, etc
Placemats
Hot water bottle, to help ease the inevitable Christmas stomach pain (I broke mine quite recently)
Etc
More excited by the toddlers presents - wooden xylophone, teddies, rag doll, musical book, Elmer,Spot the dog at christmas. Some nice outfits. Tractor. Football.

Inspector Norse

Girlfriend and I set small limit on our own presents as it was just us and the kids this year, so all I got was some chocolate, some hand cream and a small food trivia game.
My parents wired me money a while ago as a combination birthday/Christmas present, seeing as they couldn't actuslly visit, so I "got" a couple of shirts and some guitar gear as well.

Gave the kids massive piles of stuff. About to spend the rest of the morning assembling a kickbike.

Inspector Norse

Gulftastic

Some body shop stuff, a framed Jurassic park poster (bit of a mystery why) and this book:

Well done, Sis!

Galaxy ear buds.

Perhaps they're wasted on a man in his fifties who doesn't listen to that much music but last night, for the first time, I really experienced that shipping forecast.

greenman

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 27, 2020, 08:38:29 AM
how is alien made

Out of Toblerone, swiss Giger had nothing else to hand to sculpt the original model.

Small Man Big Horse

Rachel Bloom's book "I Want to Be Where the Normal People Are"
Two posh wine glasses (as my friends look dimly on my drinking out of a wine bottle when chatting on zoom)
Free-Range Chickens by Simon Rich
Some Doctor Who playing cards.
A book and miscellaneous presents from my mum which I won't get until I see her next.
And this on a t-shirt:

Not an amazing haul by any means, but many of my friends and I decided not to do presents this year as we wouldn't be seeing each other all rather sadly, and hey, I'm fond of what I did get.

holyzombiejesus

Got some lovely stuff, especially from my wife. Nick Cave solo live LP thing, a camera that takes photos of birds and squirrels if you leave it outside, a book of photography by David Godlis, a cardigan, an anthology of folk-horror stories, a BFI Blu-ray of short horror films, a smell, chocolates from my little boy and £££s from relatives.

SpiderChrist

Gil Scott-Heron's "The Last Holiday"
A book of Gil's poems.
Benjamin Zephaniah's autobiography
A lovely wooden Crass pin badge
Madhur Jaffrey's "Curry Easy Vegetarian"
The Philosophy Football Clash Sandinista! t-shirt
Plus some weed from my Bro that hasn't arrived just yet.

Kind of sums me up quite nicely.

Marner and Me

Nowt, don't do presents normally and was quite glad we agreed on a no presents Winter Fest. I still have birthday money I haven't spent from years back.

I'm normally very good at buying them however an excuse not too go out to Cheshire Oaks and City Centre was jumped upon.

Jockice

No names no pack drill (whatever that means) but:

A kindle.
A jumper
A t-shirt.
A pack of socks.
A Scottish foodstuffs hamper.
Some bodywash stuff.
A book.
Some chocolates.
A mug.
Something I haven't got yet.

I'm currently wearing the jumper, t-shirt and one of the pairs of socks. I've eaten the chocolates, got the kindle early so have loaded it up with some reading material, and intend to finish off what I'm on at the moment later today before starting on the book. I've yet to use the bodywash or the mug. Haven't a clue what the mystery gift is yet. I'm meeting the person concerned soon. Outside of course.

And my pressies to others: Port, wine, shower gel, earphones, chocolates, pet treats, kids' toys, cold hard cash. In some instances there may have been two purchases of similar things. As I have no imagination, Plus two of those concerned have January birthdays so I'll have to buy them something else then.

Jasha

Some coffee teabags
Some ground coffee brew it in the pouch then pour into a mug things
A coffee mug with the slogan "My job's top secret...even I don't know what I'm doing"

I rarely drink coffee

Jockice

Quote from: Jasha on December 27, 2020, 01:24:13 PM
Some coffee teabags
A coffee mug with the slogan "My job's top secret...even I don't know what I'm doing"

I rarely drink coffee

I have a long-time friend who has bought me (at least) three mugs with tea references on them. I think I've drank tea about twice this century and that's through people making me it without asking if I wanted it. I just don't get the stuff.

seepage

Reese's peanut butter cups
Pâté
Free rein to spend as much as I want on computer bits.

Neomod

My favourites this year were these posho brush pens.

Took me back to the 'Felt Tip Arms Race' me and my sisters had every xmas. 20, 40, 100!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Santa dun well for me this year:

- Czech Grammar book and 2 other phrase books
- Xbox 360 (?!)
- Couple of travel books and a book about pubs
- Nice green pullover + black one too... lolrandom socks
- Bottle of Talisker and 2 x whisky glasses (the oil lamp type ones)
- Poncey aftershave
- Cohocolaholates
- Test match tickets for August, fingers crossed

I got my mum and dad an italian hamper from Salvo's in Headingley, and the missus got a thai massage, beauty products, vegan chocolates from Booja Booja, a Port set, chess, all manner of ghastly stocking fillers that she loves, the more horrific and tacky the better

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Jasha on December 27, 2020, 01:24:13 PM
Some coffee teabags

I rarely drink coffee

Yeah but coffee mate

coffee

chveik

lampshade, mug, Gaddis' The Recognitions, money, covid 2.0

A fair old slab of desolation.

An unexpected bit of cash, but the real bleakness was in the family secret Santa. This, in theory, is genius. You spend around £15 on one person rather than buying loads of tatt for people that they don't want. The issue is that for the last three years everyone has near enough pulled the same people. I've pulled my dad three years on the bounce, he's pulled my sister's fella, and my sister's fella has pulled me.

He has a habit of making his gifts scream "£4 at The Works". Year one was a book entitled The wicked wit of Prince Philip, last year was sufficiently thoughtful that I assumed my sister had bought it, but still well under budget. This year a pack of port miniatures. I famously don't drink at home and have barely drank at all this year. If you think I like port, then at least buy me fifteen quid worth, you cheap cunt.

I also had a dreadful shirt off my parents that I can't work out whether it would best suit a newsagent, a retired chemistry teacher, or a dirty old man heading up to his allotment shed to peruse his vintage grot mags.

I'm sure I sound awfully ungrateful, but it's pretty bleak to receive only a handful of things and for none of them to have any value to you whatsoever. At least Oxfam will get something out of it I suppose.