Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:55:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pressies 2020 (the what you got given for Christ mas thread)

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, December 27, 2020, 12:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on December 27, 2020, 05:35:58 PM
I've pulled my dad three years on the bounce, he's pulled my sister's fella, and my sister's fella has pulled me.

Rather liberal attitude to Christmas family traditions in the drummers household

Fambo Number Mive

I also had a dreadful shirt off my parents that I can't work out whether it would best suit a newsagent, a retired chemistry teacher, or a dirty old man heading up to his allotment shed to peruse his vintage grot mags.

There's a TV show in this. Not sure how you'd get a dirty old man with an allotment with a shed to appear though.

Kelvin

Best gift I got was from work; fancy Hotel Chocolate sweets. I'm only a temp and they spent £25 on me!

Dex Sawash

Icehaven

I'm sure I sound awfully ungrateful, but it's pretty bleak to receive only a handful of things and for none of them to have any value to you whatsoever. At least Oxfam will get something out of it I suppose.

I'm always impressed and a bit intrigued when people say they were given very specific things, records or books or tickets etc. that are exactly what they wanted. Did you ask for them or are you just surrounded by people who are brilliant at present buying and know what you don't already have?

I think the shirt looks a lot like ones my long dead grandad used to wear in his 80s. This possibly says more about the contents of his shed than his dress sense.

My mum has a long standing habit of buying me clothes that she knows I'll never wear but are cheap. One a few years ago was practically the same pattern as you get on curry house wallpaper.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: icehaven on December 27, 2020, 05:53:13 PM
I'm always impressed and a bit intrigued when people say they were given very specific things, records or books or tickets etc. that are exactly what they wanted. Did you ask for them or are you just surrounded by people who are brilliant at present buying and know what you don't already have?

I normally ask my mother and sister for specific things as they can't be trusted not to buy me something I'd hate otherwise, but with friends the majority know me well and give me things I actually like, though there's normally one gift each year which ends up in a charity shop.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteYear one was a book entitled The wicked wit of Prince Philip,

Fucking hell

Sebastian Cobb

Only thing I know about (because I ordered it myself) is a couple of Hal Hartley bluray boxsets.

We finally exchanged contracts on a house we've been trying to buy for the last months, which was a pretty great Christmas present.  :)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Fucking Brilliant Fall T- Shirt
The Private Eye Annual
Copy Of " Private Eye" *
Copy Of " Wire" Magazine*
Copy Of " Beano" Christmas Special*
Gloves
Hat
Money
" Killing Eve" Series 3 DVD

Not complainin'

(* I live abroad)

Rizla

A set of Tin HiFi IEMs, as recommended by QDRPHNC in his ChiFi thread was my secret santa request. Absolutely delightful things, could swear they sound better than my Sennheiser HD25 IIs.

Me and Mrs Relaxing Poo don't really do Xmas presents but I got a Waterstones gift card from Mater and Pater. When they re-open their doors after this lockdown I'll be like a pig in shit in the historical non-fiction section.

Jockice

Like others, I had a mum who I had to be absolutely specific with, otherwise I'd get something that was slightly like what I'd actually asked for but wasn't. And if it was an item of clothing her catchphrase was: "Nobody will notice,'' which made me wonder at times if she'd actually been a child. Or if she had been if she'd ever mixed with other children.

I remember her being really upset when she asked my sister on the phone what her kids wanted and she overheard my teenage nephew in the background saying: "Just get her to send money." She liked all the shopping, wrapping and posting stuff but I sympathised with my nephew because he was a bit of a computer geek and there was precisely zero chance that if he asked for something that would be what he actually got. And she wouldn't let anyone else (ie me) buy it to make sure it was the right thing. It was her job and that was that.

She also had a habit of not buying me any fashionable item of clothing until it was in the sales. Not for the first time when the uncool kids would buy it (or have it bought for them) but the second time, when even the untrendy kids had stopped wearing it. On the exact day when NOBODY was wearing it anymore, she would buy me it. You could time it to the second.

Blue Jam

I bet I'm the only CaBber who got a new hairdryer for Christmas aren't I

Blue Jam

Parlux. Salon-quality. Got recommended one ages ago and had been meaning to get one for yonks. They don't look like anything special but it's all in the motor, they will get your hair dry in four seconds, probably even less if you're an average CaBber. Total beasts.

Among other things I got Mr Jam a Thundergun t-shirt. I don't think he's ever gonna take it off. He got me the It's Always Sunny self-help book, written by the five least qualified people in the world, endless fun.

Chedney Honks

I got a music player:

Bruce Lee Criterion boxset:

And some Matchmakers.

thenoise

Lord Mandrake

I gladly received fuckin honher marine band harps in A and C as fuckin requested.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 28, 2020, 01:39:53 PM
Bruce Lee Criterion boxset:

Bit cigs about Bruce Lee myself but that is smart. Got the Brazil Criterion boxset here and that that is a lovely thing. Are they still all region 0?

madhair60

Blue Jam

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on December 28, 2020, 01:48:05 PM
I gladly received fuckin honher marine band harps in A and C as fuckin requested.

Nice. I inadvertently took up the piano over lockdown and got Piano For Dummies and some books of piano sheet music for beginners, including a David Bowie one. Absolute Beginners is the first tune in it. Ho ho ho.

Got Mr Jam and electric piano for Christmas 2014 and have been playing that. This year I got him some books about astronomy and a planisphere to use with his astronomy binoculars. He also got me a book of homebrew recipes. Planning to keep up all the new lockdown hobbies into 2021 and beyond.

I'll see if I can dig out The Royal Book of Racial Epithets for a thread. It was destined for a charity shop but ended up sat in my car for months and got a bit tatty as a result. It's still knocking around somewhere though.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 28, 2020, 01:56:07 PM
Nice. I inadvertently took up the piano over lockdown and got Piano For Dummies and some books of piano sheet music for beginners, including a David Bowie one. Absolute Beginners is the first tune in it. Ho ho ho.

Yes, playing music has almost kept me sane. I have learned and recorded all parts of 'Smokestack lightining' and 'Low rider'. Note for note, beat for beat. I know the harmonica is far more difficult than appears but the harp parts of these songs are fairly simple. I have at least another six weeks to get practicing.

Jasha

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 28, 2020, 01:23:04 PM
They don't look like anything special but it's all in the motor, they will get your hair dry in four seconds, probably even less if you're an average CaBber. Total beasts.

Blue Jam working on the vaccine yesterday

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 28, 2020, 01:52:23 PM
Bit cigs about Bruce Lee myself but that is smart. Got the Brazil Criterion boxset here and that that is a lovely thing. Are they still all region 0?

I think most are Region A, unfortunately, but you do get the odd one making its way over here. I picked up the Zatoichi boxset a little while ago and that's Region B.

It's another stunner:

Got this razor-sharp beast from my better half, who really doesn't like very sharp knives. I've told her many times that a sharp knife is actually safer than a dull one as it cuts more easily, with little pressure and there's less chance of the blade slipping off and causing injury.

I badly cut my finger within minutes. Of course I did.