Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:23:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rumour Patel wants to bring back death penalty

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 27, 2020, 05:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote@BameFor

A little bird at the @ukhomeoffice tells us @pritipatel has asked Civil Service to scope a policy paper on the restoration of the death penalty in the #NewYear2021 and the #Tories have the majority to do just that. #DeathPenality

https://twitter.com/BameFor/status/1342495556732649478

Former Scum editor Kelvin McKenzie has called for a referendum on the issue: https://twitter.com/kelvmackenzie/status/1342496004298465281

The State should not be allowed to put people to death in any country in my view, but when you consider how many miscarriages of justice have occurred in the UK since the death penalty was abolished, we'd have seen dozens of innocent people killed. The pro-death penalty side say that DNA evidence makes this less of an issue now but if this is true (and I haven't seen any evidence that this couldn't be tampered with) it doesn't make it impossible.

The death penalty isn't a deterrent - very few people think about being caught before deciding whether or not to commit a crime, and as I understand it it costs a lot of money to execute people in America, some of whom have appeal after appeal. I find the whole aspect of the "last meal" nauseating - someone has been deemed evil enough to be put to death but not evil enough not to enjoy whatever they want to eat before they are killed. It's just twisted.

I can see the death penalty being a slippery slope. They'd start out with it just being for the murder of a police officer, a child or mass murder (and I wouldn't support it no matter what the crime) and in a few years it would be for all sorts of crimes. I don't think the current prison system in the UK works (no offence to icehaven or anyone else on here who works in the prison service) but I don't think killing people is the answer.

I can imagine the Tories trying to bring in the death penalty in a few years and Starmer would probably whip Labour to abstain. They might even have televised executions hosted by a celebrity during the National Lottery or something, I wouldn't put anything past the tossers currently in charge.

Anyone on here support the death penalty?

Sherringford Hovis

If you executed people for littering, Comic Sans and animal cruelty, I reckon most people on here would support it.

Chedney Honks

I'm against the death penalty, except for people who are for the death penalty.

Seems hypocritical but I can live with the paradox.

Lordofthefiles

Can't see it passing. Way too much money to be made from revolving door prisons.

Fambo Number Mive

I imagine they will find some way to monetise the death penalty. Charge people to be in the audience to watch it. Get people to vote on the method of execution.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 27, 2020, 05:20:54 PM
I imagine they will find some way to monetise the death penalty. Charge people to be in the audience to watch it. Get people to vote on the method of execution.

Go full Running Man.

Zetetic

I've come round to supporting bodily mutilation for financial crimes but I recognise that it's hard sell that it's compatible with the ECHR.

Thursday

I've long feared that as soon as this goes up for genuine discussion among the British public, it'll be certain to happen. You might have noticed people are fucking horrible here.

lipsink

Would be funny if it ended up Priti Patel was the first person to be sentenced to death.

Thursday

It'll be a referendum. When it wins (by 52-48) everyone who voted against it is automatically given the death penalty for being a traitor.

Junket Pumper

Kelvin Mackenzie is evil. This makes me laugh whenever I watch it.

Blumf

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 27, 2020, 05:25:27 PM
Go full Running Man.

Imagine a UK Running Man with Noel Edmonds presenting and someone in a Mr Blobby costume with a chainsaw. Would Edmonds do it?

Wonderful Butternut

In favour if you start by executing Kelvin McKenzie.

Who cares what Priti Patel's daughter with Bruce Willis thinks about the death penalty?

The Lurker

Good to see Kelvin spent Christmas day tweeting about the death penalty. A totally normal and traditional thing to do.

steve98

Quote from: Zetetic on December 27, 2020, 05:27:04 PM
I've come round to supporting bodily mutilation for financial crimes.

So, you would have happily mutilated (for example) little orphaned Oliver Twist? For pick-pocketing? Even though he was innocent, and under the control of a vicious gang-master? Cos that's what you're saying.

Zetetic

No, I think I'd reserve it for crimes involving persistent criminal intent and enduring application to misrepresentation for financial gain, in the absence of factors that make the choice to engage this any less freer.

pigamus

Quote from: Thursday on December 27, 2020, 05:29:54 PM
It'll be a referendum. When it wins (by 52-48) everyone who voted against it is automatically given the death penalty for being a traitor.

Why bother with a referendum? They've got the numbers.

BlodwynPig

For it, only if I can be the executioner and it is a for a crime where someone has wiped out my entire family in Paris or Turkey.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Lurker on December 27, 2020, 05:35:37 PM
Good to see Kelvin spent Christmas day tweeting about the death penalty. A totally normal and traditional thing to do.

This was a confusing thing to read.

Quote from: Zetetic on December 27, 2020, 06:00:11 PM
No, I think I'd reserve it for crimes involving persistent criminal intent and enduring application to misrepresentation for financial gain, in the absence of factors that make the choice to engage this any less freer.

So you're saying the only one who gets punished is Fagin? Hm, bit antisemitic...

shiftwork2

Not really a penalty is it as everyone's going to die eventually.

Pijlstaart

I thought I was going to be killed once, it was the Indians, I should think, the big Indians, a phalanx of them blockading the tunnel at calais, thick ham-like muscles bursting through their technicolour playsuits. "Mummy, help, they've got me!" I shrieked, disappearing through the sun-roof. I thought they were going to kill me but they didn't, they took me somewhere indian, to do something of that sort. "We like our food with bits in" said the biggest one, leading me to the snack table and pointing dramatically into a series of ramekins: I nodded along out of fear. In the end a policeman sorted it all out, gave me a good telling off and I was back in bed that same night.

With the death penalty my story would have ended then, having the opportunity to feign rehabilitation has been the making of me and I wouldn't have it any other way.

steve98

That's a good story Pijlstaart (Though I can't say I understood much (or any) of it). I'm glad it ended happily (with it being Xmas) :)

idunnosomename

Shaun's video on the death penalty was very good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L30_hfuZoQ8

Priti goes on about burden of proof and well, it is so high, it either leads to the massive expense of death rows, or you just fall short of it and end up having the coppers off some innocent people. Also never a good idea to give the government the power to kill people.

Problem with Priti is she is really not very bright at all. It was funny seeing that QT clip and how different she was pre-Brexit lobotomy that gave her that permanent evil smirk. Like a slouching controversialist. But still fucking simple as pigshit.

Blumf

So, who's in prison currently that needs a good hanging? Shipman, West, and Brady are all gone. What's the point?

Junket Pumper

Quote from: Blumf on December 27, 2020, 06:30:28 PM
So, who's in prison currently that needs a good hanging? Shipman, West, and Brady are all gone. What's the point?

Mackenzie mentioned the cop killer Dale Creegan.