Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:29:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rumour Patel wants to bring back death penalty

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 27, 2020, 05:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

My point is that whatever I call a person who isn't Jewish, someone will complain and get offended.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Kankurette on December 29, 2020, 10:29:11 AM
I've been told 'gentile' is problematic and 'non-Jew' is othering so whatever the fuck I call people who aren't Jewish, I can't win.

Burchill has no business using our language as an insult.

'Non-Jewish person', I'd say would suffice. Whatever, we can all agree that Julie Burchill is a cunt.

Bernice

Zetetic

Quote from: Kankurette on December 29, 2020, 10:29:11 AM
I've been told 'gentile' is problematic and 'non-Jew' is othering so whatever the fuck I call people who aren't Jewish, I can't win.
I don't think you can really get away from "othering" here since these terms all have the sense of "non-Jewish people". It's not possible to offer any other semantics (in contrast to "cis", of someone's gender identity in relation to their birth-assignation, for example, where a 'positive' account is possible).

For what it's worth, I think better to speak as plainly as possible outside of your close linguistic community rather than using dialect-specific jargon (which perhaps inherently attracts very varied connotations).

To;Dr see Johnny's post

Johnny Yesno

I remember reading years ago in, iirc, the Graun style guide, that it is best practice to avoid terms like 'Poles', 'blacks' or 'The Jews' for the reason of avoiding making these characteristics the primary feature of people, when it is better to use 'Polish people', 'black people' or 'Jewish people'. It was acknowledged that this isn't a flawless system but that people generally respond better to being referred to as 'people' who have a particular characteristic (among many), even when outdated terms are inadvertently used, for example 'coloured people'.

I'll accept being called one of the gentile people because, on my journey, this is highly amusing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLDAMvffuZo

evilcommiedictator

Bernice

Johnny Yesno

Buelligan

I always said Keith was a ventriloquist's dummy.

idunnosomename

here is an example of a pet if you do not know what a dog looks like

frajer

Feels like a desperate bid to smell less like a merciless Tory robot cunt.

"What do humans appreciate? Animals. Hmm, processing."

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh no, now the sentence is tougher I won't break the law

jobotic

Stealing animals is nearly as bad as thinking that black lives matter.

bgmnts

Quote from: frajer on February 12, 2021, 12:34:52 PM

Well, some of them appreciate pets.

pigamus

Fucking Rumour Patel, first that book about the diddakois and now this

PlanktonSideburns

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: frajer on February 12, 2021, 12:34:52 PM

Well, they appreciate burgers, I suppose, if that's what you mean.

Lungpuddle

Quote from: pigamus on February 12, 2021, 04:18:17 PM

If it's Godden'uff for children, it's Godden'uff for you.

Pinball

garbed_attic

I stayed awake lasty night (after being woken up by the cat having to clear he little tray) worrying about the very strong chance, I reckon, that Patel will become prime minister. I really wish my relocation to the Netherlands had worked... their government may be crooked, but I can't see them bringing back the death penalty any time soon.

touchingcloth

If this current government loves animals and Classical Civilisation so much, I say we give the public bread and circuses and make Priti Patel fight a tiger. Ant and Dec to host.

pigamus

Jockice

Rumer and Patel are totally different people. Just because they have brown skin you think they're all the same, don't you? You racist.

(Usual tenuous claim to fame bit. The singer Rumer went to the same secondary school as my sister. Over 20 years later admittedly, so I don't think they ever met.)

chveik

i like Rumer's first album. she has an incredible voice

garbed_attic

This Guardian long-read is worth looking at - nothing surprising, but worth reading to guard against heart-hardening complacency:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/13/cruel-paranoid-failing-priti-patel-inside-the-home-office

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pigamus on February 12, 2021, 04:18:17 PM

Did Synthesizer change his name again?