Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GVIINNER: cunt's gone bananas

Started by madhair60, December 27, 2020, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

There was a great tweet by Grace Petrie earlier saying something along the lines of that she would be more likely to believe these people's cries of lesbian erasure if they actually spent some of their time amplifying lesbians rather than gate-keeping who gets to call themselves that name. JK Rowling would have done more to stop lesbian erasure by making Hermione end up with Ginny Weasley at the end of the Potter books than all the embarrassing shit she comes out with now

Obviously Julie Bindel had to jump into the comments to spray her foul TERFery everywhere but it was nice that she generally got short shrift

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: phantom_power on December 28, 2020, 09:05:58 PM
There was a great tweet by Grace Petrie earlier saying something along the lines of that she would be more likely to believe these people's cries of lesbian erasure if they actually spent some of their time amplifying lesbians rather than gate-keeping who gets to call themselves that name. JK Rowling would have done more to stop lesbian erasure by making Hermione end up with Ginny Weasley at the end of the Potter books than all the embarrassing shit she comes out with now

Obviously Julie Bindel had to jump into the comments to spray her foul TERFery everywhere but it was nice that she generally got short shrift

Here's another great exchange from that thread: https://twitter.com/minytrash/status/1343614537099075585

Quotelmao imagine a lesbian character written with the cultural sensitivity of joanne k rowling

QuoteShe'd be called Gaya McDyke, be hyperfeminine, scream KAM and fawn over every women she comes across. Also she would totally kiss in front of men to prove that she's a lesbian.

idunnosomename

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 28, 2020, 12:49:27 PM
Not sure anyone actually reads the complaints though. You just received an automated response.

Maybe it's like PayPal and it takes 18 months for anyone to look at the details, by which point the person who owes you money has closed their account... (but that's another story)
whatever though i made the effort to email substack about this. they will only pull the plug when outrage outweighs the fees they get off him. which isn't much, so get emailin'

they send this auto reply

QuoteThank you for reaching out to Substack about our terms and policies. We will review your message as soon as possible. Please note the following:

We cannot answer every question or concern, but we prioritize inquiries from our writers.

We appreciate and take seriously public comments about possible violations of our terms of use and content guidelines. While these are reviewed carefully, ultimately Substack will use its own discretion in interpreting and enforcing its terms.

Privacy- and copyright-specific notices or inquiries will receive the fastest review when sent to privacy@substackinc.com and copyright@substackinc.com, respectively.

Thanks,
Substack Support

In case you missed the context for the Grace Petrie tweet, the LGB lot went after Eddie Izzard with an invite onto a Zoom call. Presumably one like Glinner's weekly grief fest where it would run like the job interview from hell with every question about waving penises in changing rooms before being uploaded onto youtube. I don't think Eddie even wants the job tbh.

Jittlebags

Should this not be in GB as it's not really discussing comedy is it? When I come to the Comedy forum I want to see some comments about Mrs Slocambe's pussy, or discussion about the best Slavic character in a BBC radio comedy (clearly Nali Jakovlivicz)

JaDanketies

Quote from: Jittlebags on December 28, 2020, 09:53:24 PM
Should this not be in GB as it's not really discussing comedy is it? When I come to the Comedy forum I want to see some comments about Mrs Slocambe's pussy, or discussion about the best Slavic character in a BBC radio comedy (clearly Nali Jakovlivicz)

more tragicomedy these days.

I think the Linehan discussion was initially in the comedy chat as he is a comedy writer but this was many threads ago.

rue the polywhirl

But this thread is in the right place. Have you not seen the untruly high standard of Comedy memes Glinner has been producing lately?

pigamus

I'm sure Barry Admin will move it if he wants it moved

Povidone

"You've Turned off Replies" is enough to nail this subject to the 'comedy' wall.

JamesTC

Quote from: Povidone on December 28, 2020, 10:07:42 PM
"You've Turned off Replies" is enough to nail this subject to the 'comedy' wall.

HS Art more like.

Ohhhhhh IIIIIII've paywalled my memes, I've paywalled my memes. No one on our side in gender believes.

idunnosomename

funnily enough (not surprisingly) are graham used slack in a previous life when he wrote comedy. he did a bit about it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150829190508/http://slackhq.com/post/127678990625/grahamlinehan

either lost in a website upgrade or they took it down pretty sharpish because it was never cached after 2015

Alberon

Just chanced on the Back to the 90s countdown clip show on Channel 4 just as they got to Father Ted.

Can't but notice that while they had Arthur Matthews on Linehan, while mentioned, was nowhere to be seen.

I wonder if he said no or, more likely, he wasn't asked at all as he'd gone bananas.

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: Alberon on December 28, 2020, 11:07:28 PM
Just chanced on the Back to the 90s countdown clip show on Channel 4 just as they got to Father Ted.

Can't but notice that while they had Arthur Matthews on Linehan, while mentioned, was nowhere to be seen.

I wonder if he said no or, more likely, he wasn't asked at all as he'd gone bananas.

It's pretty obvious that he has far more important media projects to be attaching himself to... such as his zoom sessions and his substack feed.

Magnum Valentino

Folks I've had a read of the OP here and read these threads for a while, but I realised there now when trying to explain all this to my wife - what actually happened here? Was there a single incident from which all this can be traced? I remember Graham was a bit of a Twitter loser in its early days, so much so that he was asked about it in interviews, but did one thing happen after which he started to go inexorably in the wrong direction? One tweet, one interview?

Jittlebags

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on December 28, 2020, 09:59:26 PM
But this thread is in the right place. Have you not seen the untruly high standard of Comedy memes Glinner has been producing lately?

If that's the case, maybe there should be an 'anti-comedy' forum. I thought that mega-threads were frowned upon anyway ?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on December 28, 2020, 09:59:26 PM
I was thinking recently, if this thread is moved to GB it will signify Glinner is officially a random Terf and Britney wrote Father Ted.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on December 28, 2020, 11:23:15 PM
Folks I've had a read of the OP here and read these threads for a while, but I realised there now when trying to explain all this to my wife - what actually happened here? Was there a single incident from which all this can be traced? I remember Graham was a bit of a Twitter loser in its early days, so much so that he was asked about it in interviews, but did one thing happen after which he started to go inexorably in the wrong direction? One tweet, one interview?

I think you'll find it all started when MEN began waving their PENISES in OUR DAUGHTERS' FACES.

Seriously though, the OP sums it up. I guess the IT crowd debacle which started it all unfolded on Twitter but can't quite recall the specifics of what he said at the time. I'd go searching for incriminating tweets but, whaddaya know, Twitter deleted them all on account of him being a cunt.

Alberon

Despite the explanation of the reaction to the anti-trans IT Crowd episode I think the real reason is just that he is a bellend. A bellend who became an even bigger bellend because of twitter and now stripped of that is scrabbling around trying to recreate the dopamine hit.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I checked Rationalwiki and they have some background and links to early Glinner drama here: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Graham_Linehan

Magnum Valentino

I'll have a look at that, cheers. Suppose what I'm wondering is when did it change from "haha did you see what Graham Linehan said on Twitter?" to, like, 600 pages of discussion about what Graham Linehan said on Twitter and how on earth that's fucking possible.

At what stage does a person who's reasonably known, understood and real, like a believable extant human who wrote some brilliant stuff, become this one-note punchline? It's awful sad. You know the way a cunt like Laurence Fox realised that being hateful on Twitter could pay his bills for a while even if he doesn't believe what he's writing (unlike Hopkins)? That doesn't appear to be the case with Graham Linehan. He's not playing to a crowd.

idunnosomename

you need to look into gamergate really to understand how he got radicalised. pity you if you do, as I still find the whole thing utterly befuddling.

mippy

No love for Hut 43's Minka?

JamesTC

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 28, 2020, 11:46:11 PM
I checked Rationalwiki and they have some background and links to early Glinner drama here: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Graham_Linehan

Really had to laugh at this quote it highlights:
Quote from: GlinnerHugely important issue. Nothing more important going on right now. Great use of energy.

You could just comment that on everything Graham has written since 2016.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 28, 2020, 11:59:48 PM
you need to look into gamergate really to understand how he got radicalised. pity you if you do, as I still find the whole thing utterly befuddling.

I don't, I've tried too, back at the time, so maybe I should give up

I agree with that other post, too, it's a bit depressing seeing this in comedy chat, seems more of a general public downfall issue than an "is I'm Alan Partridge a documentary or a staged econstruction" kind of discussion.

stonkers

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on December 28, 2020, 11:50:58 PM
I'll have a look at that, cheers. Suppose what I'm wondering is when did it change from "haha did you see what Graham Linehan said on Twitter?" to, like, 600 pages of discussion about what Graham Linehan said on Twitter and how on earth that's fucking possible.

At what stage does a person who's reasonably known, understood and real, like a believable extant human who wrote some brilliant stuff, become this one-note punchline? It's awful sad. You know the way a cunt like Laurence Fox realised that being hateful on Twitter could pay his bills for a while even if he doesn't believe what he's writing (unlike Hopkins)? That doesn't appear to be the case with Graham Linehan. He's not playing to a crowd.

I think it's internet addiction combined with 1) having always been a bit sexually conservative and as a result transphobic; 2) being bullied when he was younger making him convinced he's the good guy and utterly unwilling to back down on anything.

Ferris

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on December 28, 2020, 10:17:26 PM
Ohhhhhh IIIIIII've paywalled my memes, I've paywalled my memes. No one on our side in gender believes.

That's very good. Didn't want it to get buried without receiving some praise.

idunnosomename

he also got very embroiled in feminism with a very personal (and publicised) campaign on Irish abortion law. that's really the root of how he ended up here. but there was no single moment he cracked. I think he was cunty about transpeople before "TERF" was a widely known term.

Zetetic

That genuine (if now distant) motivation of feminism and the self-identity of a feminist who is moved by the plight of women is important to understanding his journey, but I'd hesitate to say that being "embroiled" in feminism and a laudable campaign is "the root" of ending up as a disgraced one-note transphobic bully.

(Edit: It feels a bit like suggesting that the root of Michael Adebolajo's problem was that "he became embroiled in anti-racism".)

Menu

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 29, 2020, 01:16:02 AM
he also got very embroiled in feminism with a very personal (and publicised) campaign on Irish abortion law. that's really the root of how he ended up here. but there was no single moment he cracked. I think he was cunty about transpeople before "TERF" was a widely known term.

Yes it's that plus the internet addiction thing, and I think something to do with his cancer scare/losing a testicle. It was the perfect storm for his sanity.