Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mischief Theatre: The Goes Wrong Show and the Plays that Go Wrong

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 27, 2020, 07:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I love these so much. The Goes Wrong Show is out on DVD and on Amazon Prime, and Peter Pan Goes Wrong and A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong are on Amazon Prime and Youtube. The cast also have a podcast on Spotify called Mischief Makers.

It must be so difficult as a good actor to portray a bad actor, and I can imagine that each production must be really complicated with all the things that "go wrong". It's great how many of the things that go wrong are direct reactions to lines in the script. The fleshing out of the fake actors (The Cornley Polytechnic Drama Society) played by the real actors of Mischief Theatre, is also cleverly done.

It's also impressive how far they go with many of the "things that go wrong". I really hope there is a second series of the Goes Wrong Show.

DrGreggles

Good:
The Play That Goes Wrong
The Comedy About A Bank Robbery
Peter Pan Goes Wrong

Not so keen on their other stuff, and they seem to repeat a lot on their TV shows.
Their more recent shows suggest they might be a busted flush, which is a shame as I laughed my tits off at the shows I mentioned.

olliebean

You saw their Nativity last week, I presume? (Here it is if you didn't: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000qq33/the-goes-wrong-show-series-2-1-the-nativity)

It's been put up as series 2 episode 1, so I presume there are more episodes to come.

They're also doing these for the next few days: https://mischiefcomedy.com/our-work/mischief-movie-night/about

Alberon

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 27, 2020, 08:30:46 PM
Good:
The Play That Goes Wrong
The Comedy About A Bank Robbery
Peter Pan Goes Wrong

Not so keen on their other stuff, and they seem to repeat a lot on their TV shows.
Their more recent shows suggest they might be a busted flush, which is a shame as I laughed my tits off at the shows I mentioned.

I got to see the three plays in the theatre and really enjoyed them. These things are best seen live and they were all great fun.

I'm pretty sure I've read there is a second series of the Goes Wrong TV show, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. The well was running dry even when the first TV specials came along and they were definitely repeating themselves by the end of series 1.

One exception is the courtroom drama episode which really works all the laughs out of the set design. Not only the courtroom built to the wrong size, but the sets that roll together in two halves for each flashback. It's easily the best of the series.

Fambo Number Mive

The courtroom drama was my favourite one as well, followed by the pilot (not the pilot) episode. I thought the play set in the American south where
Spoiler alert
some of the sets were "accidentally" build at the wrong angle
[close]
was very clever, but probably the least funny of the series (still very funny though).

neveragain

Their set-pieces are sublime and often visually shocking. Thought their first couple of specials were a bit overstretched, with unnecessary celeb cameos, but I love the series and don't think it repeated anything at all (perhaps just stuff they'd done onstage? Which doesn't make any difference to the show). Nativity was also great though the characters merged into one a bit. Probably doesn't matter.

DrGreggles

Quote from: neveragain on December 27, 2020, 10:51:28 PM
I love the series and don't think it repeated anything at all (perhaps just stuff they'd done onstage? Which doesn't make any difference to the show).

Well, it does make a difference if you watch the stage shows after the TV shows, and half the best bits are things you've seen before.

Other than Peter Pan Goes Wrong (which was an adaptation of an existing stage show), I don't think their made-for-telly stuff is any good.
Maybe TV just isn't their medium.

neveragain

Yes, it does to a long-time viewer across all formats I'll concede but in isolation it doesn't make much difference[nb]Or none at all if you've not seen it obviously[/nb]. It's great that On The Hour and radio KMKY was full of different stuff to their television incarnations but I don't damn the League for transporting (not all but) a lot of sketches from stage to radio and then to television. In fact, there's quite a history of it. Many old comedy stars (Chaplin, the Marx Brothers etc.) polished their acts on stage before getting to film.

DrGreggles

I think the issue I have is that The Play That Goes Wrong is still running (in non-COVID times) in the West End and on tour, and having a successful 'Goes Wrong' TV show will generate plenty of ticket sales.
Personally I'd be pissed off if I paid [insert stupidly inflated ticket price] to see (essentially) the same gags I'd already seen on the telly

Fambo Number Mive

DrGreggles

I've got all the Mischief Movie Night In videos they did Dec-Feb, so I can upload them somewhere if there's any interest*.
The ones I've seen were a bit patchy overall, but the good bits were very funny indeed.

*need to reduce the file sizes first though, so they might be done a few at at time

bodajmac

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 27, 2021, 09:56:08 AM
I've got all the Mischief Movie Night In videos they did Dec-Feb, so I can upload them somewhere if there's any interest*.

there is definitely interest, would be much appreciated!

Blue Jam

I always assumed The Play That Goes Wrong was just a lazy rip-off of Noises Off. Am I in fact Wrong?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 27, 2021, 11:37:02 AM
I always assumed The Play That Goes Wrong was just a lazy rip-off of Noises Off. Am I in fact Wrong?

You are in fact Wrong!

NO is decent enough, but TPTGW is far funnier IMHO.
The final act of NO is probably the most alike they get.

amateur

I really wanted to see TPTGW when it first came to the theatre, never got around to it. What's the best, first thing to watch from this mob?

Cuellar

Now that everyone expects The Play That Goes Wrong to go 'wrong', for it to go wrong it should just go through without any mistakes now.

Dayraven

When I saw it at the theatre, it really did go wrong — not sure exactly how, but they brought the curtain down for a moment and a real stage manager came out and apologised for the delay, with no punchline.

For places to start, I'd say Peter Pan Goes Wrong is both good, and handy because it's got a filmed version unlike the original play. Best TV series episodes are The Spirit of Christmas, A Trial to Watch and 90 Degrees. Weakest are Christmas Carol Goes Wrong and The Lodge.

DrGreggles

Peter Pan Goes Wrong is the best TV thing they've done (perhaps because it was adapted from the stage show, rather than created for telly), so I'd start there.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bBOD1MxZRY_U8FsbQZ-3U1V9K1iSXeo4/view

But I'd definitely check out The Play That Goes Wrong once Barry is released from prison. I believe a tour is planned.

amateur

DrGreggles

olliebean

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 27, 2021, 11:37:02 AM

It's more of a non-lazy rip-off of Michael Green's coarse acting plays.

Mobius

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 27, 2021, 01:55:58 PM
Peter Pan Goes Wrong is the best TV thing they've done (perhaps because it was adapted from the stage show, rather than created for telly), so I'd start there.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bBOD1MxZRY_U8FsbQZ-3U1V9K1iSXeo4/view

thanks pal

Mobius

Admittedly I just watched the first 10 minutes of the Peter Pan one but I didn't like it. Haha they stood in the wrong lighting, haha an electrical thing went off by mistake. Haha that one guy is wearing a headset on stage. I thought it'd start off fine then subtly become a shitshow but it's just a bit rubbish isn't it?

The audience laughter didn't help.

olliebean

TBH I've always thought that putting "Goes Wrong" right in the name of the thing kind of ruins the joke before it's started.