Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:12:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Citizen journalist jailed for four years

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 28, 2020, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Now I know it's you (why do you keep making accounts?) I suppose that you, by dint of experience, are simply "over it" and want the rest of us to be "over it" too. But I am not "over it" because, if it helps you see where I'm coming from, I have family in Hong Kong and I don't want to see that prosperous region subsumed into a 2nd world country still being run by the political descendants of the mass-murderer Mao.

I put it to you that you know what the right position to take on this news story is but you are trying to add nuance for the sake of it. Even if this woman was "a bellend" she is not less of a victim. All victims of communist regimes have to be slightly crazy. The majority of "sensible" ones learn to get by with what little freedom they have and complain only to their closest friends. What's more, I notice that people who are "over it" over there tend to feel like the situation is more "complex" and "nuanced" than we westerners (who don't even speak mandarin yada yada yada) could ever appreciate. It's just what the Russians were like too, and the GDR people too. It's a mindset that belongs to second world educated people who can't help but feel pride for what the second world gets right (and its always the small things).

chveik

given how awfully quiet the Assange thread is, I think it's fair from Chedney & PDD to point out the hypocrisy going on here

Retinend

Quote from: chveik on December 30, 2020, 08:51:59 PM
given how awfully quiet the Assange thread is, I think it's fair to point out the hypocrisy here

Only individuals, or groups with stated beliefs, can be "hypocritical". CaB is not the "defenders of free speech" club. I've said why I am interested in this story and I don't mind saying that it's for reasons personal to me. That aside, objectively, there's no comparison between Assange and his individual plight and the plight of the Chinese people. Both are bad, but one is obviously more important (and frankly, more topical).

Chedney Honks

I'll PM you. You're not a nobhead so I'll not correct you again publicly.

Menu

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 30, 2020, 04:25:59 AM
I personally don't think she does, but physically interfering with Covid checkpoints seems like a much better justification than a marijuana conviction in the United States or (going out on a limb here) myriad things that I bet you support jailing people for. Certainly that the Western media enthusiastically does.

I'm not at all gullible, I'm skeptical.

If for whatever reason you have a deep seated need to believe a certain narrative about China, that's not really my concern to fix for you. All I can do is point out the facts as we are capable of knowing them.

Complete Trumpian projection. You're the one who has "a deep seated need to believe a certain narrative about China". I'm just against imprisoning a journalist for doing her job. I'm against any country that does it. You pick and choose when you're interested in human rights. I don't.

Menu

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on December 30, 2020, 05:26:24 PM
To the China-hawks: you don't find it all strange or objectionable that the BBC reporting on this is openly fraudulent? Whether you think someone should be jailed for being a right-wing Covid conspiracy theorist physically interfering with checkpoints (and possibly worse - that is what we can see for ourselves on video), you have to admit that this story is being presented to the Western public in an extremely misleading way.

What's more, there is no question that in the United States at least a "citizen journalist" who got in the face of a police officer and physically touched part of a police barricade would likely be charged with a felony. No question.

(Who am I kidding. What's the over-under on people posting in this thread who actually bothered looking at the link I posted on the last page. Zero?)

Mate this is so poor. If you really feel you have to defend an authoritarian dictatorship in jailing a journalist for four years you've got to do better than this. It's embarrassing.

Menu

Quote from: Retinend on December 30, 2020, 08:43:05 PM
Now I know it's you (why do you keep making accounts?) I suppose that you, by dint of experience, are simply "over it" and want the rest of us to be "over it" too. But I am not "over it" because, if it helps you see where I'm coming from, I have family in Hong Kong and I don't want to see that prosperous region subsumed into a 2nd world country still being run by the political descendants of the mass-murderer Mao.

I put it to you that you know what the right position to take on this news story is but you are trying to add nuance for the sake of it. Even if this woman was "a bellend" she is not less of a victim. All victims of communist regimes have to be slightly crazy. The majority of "sensible" ones learn to get by with what little freedom they have and complain only to their closest friends. What's more, I notice that people who are "over it" over there tend to feel like the situation is more "complex" and "nuanced" than we westerners (who don't even speak mandarin yada yada yada) could ever appreciate. It's just what the Russians were like too, and the GDR people too. It's a mindset that belongs to second world educated people who can't help but feel pride for what the second world gets right (and its always the small things).

Exactly. And you can see in Hong Kong in real time what it's like when you replace democracy with authoritarian rule. It's no laughing matter. And all the whatabouting is sick. I may not have any sympathy for this British government and the British establishment etc etc but to say they are comparable to the CCP - in a thread about a journalist being locked up for 4 years for doing her job - is a view you should have grown out of at about 12.

Quote from: Menu on December 31, 2020, 01:25:53 AM
in a thread about a journalist being locked up for 4 years for doing her job

Did you follow the link I posted?

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Menu on December 31, 2020, 01:25:53 AM
Exactly. And you can see in Hong Kong in real time what it's like when you replace democracy with authoritarian rule. It's no laughing matter. And all the whatabouting is sick. I may not have any sympathy for this British government and the British establishment etc etc but to say they are comparable to the CCP - in a thread about a journalist being locked up for 4 years for doing her job - is a view you should have grown out of at about 12.

She's not a journalist, mate. She broke the law in China. That's it. That's why she was arrested. They don't have a free press, so she was arrested for reporting on lockdown via YouTube. That it was all plandemic style misinformation is an aside. Before you start typing: Do you understand this and have you processed it?

Your heart is clearly in the right place, but the details are nevertheless important.

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 30, 2020, 03:53:39 PM
I've posted plenty of anti-CCP/China sentiment and raised awareness of various events (HK protests, tanks rolling through Wuhan, Uighur concentration camps, racism towards foreigners, corruption, nationalism, among others) and the threads/discussions have simply died because of a lack of interest, because they hadn't hit the mainstream news outlets here or because very few people on here really know anything about China beyond the headlines..

Menu

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 31, 2020, 07:22:50 AM
She's not a journalist, mate. She broke the law in China. That's it. That's why she was arrested. They don't have a free press, so she was arrested for reporting on lockdown via YouTube. That it was all plandemic style misinformation is an aside. Before you start typing: Do you understand this and have you processed it?

Your heart is clearly in the right place, but the details are nevertheless important.

Don't patronise me you berk. And fuck your pathetic semantics. She's been imprisoned for four years for reporting on her Governments response to a pandemic. You either support that or you don't. You say you don't support it but still keep returning to the thread to make unnecessary pedantic points. You say that's the law in China. I know it is! I'm against that law! That's what this discussion is about. Just telling us it's the law, like that's some privileged information you've somehow gleaned by living there, is child-like.

We get it. You've been to China. You mention it every day. Good for you. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have given you any useful insight into this particular matter.

Quote from: Menu on December 31, 2020, 10:51:43 PM
She's been imprisoned for four years for reporting on her Governments response to a pandemic.

Did you follow the link I posted?

Quote from: Chedney Honks on December 31, 2020, 07:22:50 AM
She's not a journalist, mate. She broke the law in China. That's it. That's why she was arrested. They don't have a free press, so she was arrested for reporting on lockdown via YouTube.

Not sure this is correct either.

Chedney Honks

Menu

As I said before, your heart is clearly in the right place and you're full of vim, so I'll just wish you a happy new year. All the best.

Menu

Don't take this the wrong way but one of my pet hates is an objectively thick person trying to patronise me.

Chedney Honks

Hehe! A clunky rehash, but your quick temper burns as brightly as ever.

You are on one tonight, my friend! Sleep well and best wishes for 2021.

Menu

Oh right. You lost the argument so you're now trolling. Always a good look.

Chedney Honks

Just woke up for a piss.

There's no argument. There is no argument. I wasn't trolling or trying to wind you up, I was gently brushing you off because you're fighting shadows and I've no interest in it. We agree, you daft sod. I agree with you that she shouldn't have been imprisoned for four years. Fucking get this: I agree with you that she shouldn't have been imprisoned full stop. I was making a separate fucking point with a completely different focus about the coronavirus conspiracy angle.

I was fucked off that Zhang Zhan was being appropriated by anti-lockdown, plandemic cunts in the West who claimed that she was arrested for blowing the lid on the coronavirus. That sticks in my fucking craw because I've had half a dozen friends and family who are dead from this fucking shite. That narrative spread very quickly among those anti fucks and I saw a lot of it on reddit and Twitter. However, that is emphatically not why she was arrested and the grounds are far more black and white. It's just their fucking law - yes, again - even if I think that's fucked up. There's no conspiracy, though.

That is why I pointed out the reason for her arrest and imprisonment. That does not mean I agree with the law or that there is some excusable nuance to it. I absolutely don't. I was making a separate fucking point. Retinend said my matter of factness suggests I don't care. I get that, I'm just pretty matter of fact about brutal shit by now. I obfuscated by saying we should also bang anti-lockdown cunts in a dungeon but I have a very very hateful sense of humour at this point in time. 🤣🤣🤣

Genuinely, I think it's great that your lickle ol' me shtick drops when China comes up, and you've got some fucking fire in you. It's interesting. I'm curious about what exactly gets the juices flowing with China. You've got a belly full of spunk so don't be afraid to retch it up.

Be clear about this, though: I love a lot of the people, love a lot of the culture, hate what the CCP have done.

Night.

Menu

You're clearly a very poor communicator then.

Chedney Honks

No, you just jumped to the same broad strokes conclusion you always do, you dumb fucking cunt.

Menu

Ah the mask finally slips. It always does eventually. Embarrassing.

Sin Agog

People knock the Maga2020! feller for his fake news mantra, but why the funk can't I get a straight answer on what exactly's going on with the Uighurs, whether the Falun Gong people really did have their organs forcibly harvested or if they're some insidious cult- or both- and if/how much budding culture is being suppressed there right now, as well as a couple dozen other questions.  And I've got Mandarin relatives on both sides of my family.  I do know for a fact from accounts by relatives still in thrall to the CCP enough to regularly visit Mao's mausoleum once every year that, at least in some parts of China, money talks when it comes to getting anything done, in a way not at all fathomable to most of us, but fuck, you'd think it would be possible to clear the fog of war just a little, tiny bit.  It's always been blindingly apparent when some nation is being touted as the next people we're s'posed to hate, but I wish I could just hate them on my own terms in an educated manner.

Menu

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 01, 2021, 04:03:46 AM
People knock the Maga2020! feller for his fake news mantra, but why the funk can't I get a straight answer on what exactly's going on with the Uighurs, whether the Falun Gong people really did have their organs forcibly harvested or if they're some insidious cult-,or both, and if/how much budding culture is being suppressed there right now, as well as a couple dozen other questions.  And I've got Mandarin relatives on both sides of my family.  I do know for a fact from accounts by relatives still in thrall to the CCP enough to regularly visit Mao's mausoleum once every year that, at least in some parts of China, money talks when it comes to getting anything done, in a way not at all fathomable to most of us, but fuck, you'd think it would be possible to clear the fog of war just a little, tiny bit.  It's always been blindingly apparent when some nation is being touted as the next people we're s'posed to hate, but I wish I could just hate them on my own terms in an educated manner.

I'll let Chedney field this one. Prepare to be told that you're wrong, then patronised, then that he agreed with you all along, and then that you're a cunt. Odd chap.

Oh and he'll use these 🤣🤣🤣 a lot. Presumably because he thinks it's 2009.

Chedney Honks

No. You didn't get it the first three times, you had no awareness of the wider context of the case and its impact which is why you didn't understand my point, and so you defaulted to your entry-level Chinarrrrr 'yessss or noooo' discourse. You didn't like that I wasn't interested in engaging on that facile level so you tried to pick a fight and insult me, which I brushed off. When I was decent enough to say 'come on, fella, we're fundamentally on the same page here' and explain what you'd missed, you mistook that for another chance at a dig. And after all that, you didn't like getting some back.

You're not especially odd, though. There are lots of people like that.

Now get some bloody kip!

Sin Agog

Did anyone recently get a leaflet through their door banging on about the evils of China?  I've been mostly bunging unstamped shit straight in the bin and washing my hands 'cause of It, but now I wish I'd looked into who was funding that thing.

Menu

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 01, 2021, 04:37:54 AM
No. You didn't get it the first three times, you had no awareness of the wider context of the case and its impact which is why you didn't understand my point, and so you defaulted to your entry-level Chinarrrrr 'yessss or noooo' discourse. You didn't like that I wasn't interested in engaging on that facile level so you tried to pick a fight and insult me, which I brushed off. When I was decent enough to say 'come on, fella, we're fundamentally on the same page here' and explain what you'd missed, you mistook that for another chance at a dig. And after all that, you didn't like getting some back.

You're not especially odd, though. There are lots of people like that.

Now get some bloody kip!

Mate I don't want to alarm you but people can see the previous messages - they can see that what you've just said isn't true. I just went through the thread myself. You confused at least 4 different people because you didn't communicate your argument properly. Go through it yourself if you like.

My advice is leave out all the 'jokes' and the patronising shit and focus only on the main message you want to convey. Once you're able to deliver a coherent argument then you can start adding in your 'jokes' and emojis and shit like that. You have verbal diarrhoea. It is draining to read.

Genuinely HTH.

Menu

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 01, 2021, 04:47:07 AM
Did anyone recently get a leaflet through their door banging on about the evils of China?  I've been mostly bunging unstamped shit straight in the bin and washing my hands 'cause of It, but now I wish I'd looked into who was funding that thing.

What did it say? It could well have been Chedney trying to make a pro-China point. 

Chedney Honks

Finally, a breakthrough. Good stuff. I have zero interest in the lowest common denominator or in educating anyone. There are enough people here on the same level that I don't have to bother. That's what I love about the place.

We're just different.

Menu

Quote from: Chedney Honks on January 01, 2021, 05:15:47 AM
Finally, a breakthrough. Good stuff. I have zero interest in the lowest common denominator or in educating anyone. There are enough people here on the same level that I don't have to bother. That's what I love about the place.

We're just different.

Fuck knows what you're going on about now. I can only assume you've simply gone back to trolling because you lost the argument. That's ok, that's all some people can manage.

Good luck!