Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scarred for Life Volume Two

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, December 28, 2020, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I remember the first volume getting quite a bit of discussion on here, so if anyone isn't aware, Volume 2 has been released today.

I ordered my copy a short while ago, it's going to cost me a fortune in DVDs again.

Glebe

I never got around to getting the first one.

Brundle-Fly

I really liked the first one because it was delving into my childhood fears but this next book is rooted in 1980s creepy nostalgia by which time I was a teenager and couldn't give a toss about Noseybonk or the Kinder egg advert.

My only other niggle is I feel they could've got two books out of the first one. Its comprehensiveness and size is rather overwhelming,   even as a toilet book. Will still get it though.

I think they've realised that themselves because the 1980s one has been split into two books, the third volume is coming later this year.

Glebe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 28, 2020, 01:57:10 PMI really liked the first one because it was delving into my childhood fears but this next book is rooted in 1980s creepy nostalgia by which time I was a teenager and couldn't give a toss about Noseybonk or the Kinder egg advert.

I was born at the end of '75, so was kind of a child of the '80s. Noseybonk and the Chockadoobie bastard were right there waiting for me.

studpuppet

By the way - if you're subscribed to their updates, you get a code for 20% off (which equates to free postage basically).

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Glebe on December 28, 2020, 04:31:15 PM
I was born at the end of '75, so was kind of a child of the '80s. Noseybonk and the Chockadoobie bastard were right there waiting for me.
Beginning of 76 for me. I enjoyed a lot of the first book but it was stuff I'd only heard of in repeats or by reputation - the 80s were my childhood. But then did any of it scar me for life? I

Glebe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 28, 2020, 09:07:08 PMBeginning of 76 for me. I enjoyed a lot of the first book but it was stuff I'd only heard of in repeats or by reputation - the 80s were my childhood. But then did any of it scar me for life? I

"I-"

You obviously went into shock at the memories there, FM!

'70s culture made an impression on me from early childhood and programmes from that era and such that were repeated into the '80s and that.

non capisco

Born in '78 and my memories evidently begin in 1980 as that's when that fucking Soda Stream advert with the frightening dead eyed old nan that I've mentioned on here ad nauseum was broadcast. If that advert is anywhere in the pages of Scarred For Life 2 I will consider it a vindication. I tell you what, if it's in there I'll never even mention it again. That's fizzy a promise!

At the end of the book they have a couple of pages of Readers Scars. They asked people to tweet things that scared them and they've printed a selection, the Soda Stream ad gets mentioned there.

non capisco

Ha ha, that was possibly my tweet. Still counts!

Famous Mortimer

Didn't one of the authors post on here after vol. 1 was released? If so, and if they're reading this, I am looking forward to this one. My scarred moment from the 80s is when a bike sank in the mud or quicksand or something in an episode of "CHiPs", according to my mother. I literally hid behind the settee.

Quote from: Glebe on December 28, 2020, 10:07:59 PM
"I-"

You obviously went into shock at the memories there, FM!
Chuffing bluetooth keyboard :(

Rizla

Quote from: non capisco on December 28, 2020, 11:52:45 PM
Born in '78 and my memories evidently begin in 1980 as that's when that fucking Soda Stream advert with the frightening dead eyed old nan that I've mentioned on here ad nauseum was broadcast. If that advert is anywhere in the pages of Scarred For Life 2 I will consider it a vindication. I tell you what, if it's in there I'll never even mention it again. That's fizzy a promise!
Derek Deadman in that sodastream ad there. He was in Adventures of a Taxi Driver, one of the 2nd tier brit-erotica flicks, the Championship to the Confessions Premiership. I watched it on Amazon Prime recently. Scarred for life indeed.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Rizla on December 29, 2020, 03:40:28 PM
Derek Deadman in that sodastream ad there. He was in Adventures of a Taxi Driver, one of the 2nd tier brit-erotica flicks, the Championship to the Confessions Premiership. I watched it on Amazon Prime recently. Scarred for life indeed.

He also played the hapless Ringo in Never The Twain. Great characterful face. Seeing this album cover circa 1976 was when I first became aware of his mush. I was put in detention at primary school during a lunch break for not knowing how to tie my shoelaces. My form teacher was this brusque Welsh bloke who during my punishment played a Max Boyce LP on the school turntable for his own amusement. Later, I had a crafty peek through his box of albums and my eyes popped out my skull when I saw this iffy sleeve.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ You were ten years old, and couldn't tie your shoelaces?

Glebe

Brundle-Fly

No, I was just lazy and didn't bother doing them up properly. This teacher, Mc Govern, actually rabbit punched me in the kidneys before he gave me that detention.  He also once pulled my hair very hard during a school trip, accusing me of swearing on the coach. I hadn't. Eventually, I got my mother on his case and he never bothered me again. Saw Mr McGovern ten years later working as a barman in a local pub in my hometown. I was shocked at how short he was. After ordering a pint, I reminded him of what he did and he was genuinely sorry. He added that teaching little kids wasn't really for him and went into the army instead. It's strange to think he would have only been barely in his late twenties back then but to a young me, he was just this old grown-up.

scarred

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 29, 2020, 03:27:41 PM
Didn't one of the authors post on here after vol. 1 was released? If so, and if they're reading this, I am looking forward to this one.
Hi, yes I did! I'm glad you're looking forward to it, we're very happy with this one and think it is a much better book. We've managed to get more interviews with people involved in the creation of the stuff we talk about. We've got David Wiltshire talking about The Nightmare Man, Gary Russell on being in Look and Read as a child actor, Annette Ekblom on Noah's Castle, Tony Sands on being a child actor in Moondial and the always brilliant Andy Nyman talking about his very first onscreen role in The Woman in Black.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

No Adrian Hedley interview on his Noseybonk character?

scarred

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 30, 2020, 11:57:34 AM
No Adrian Hedley interview on his Noseybonk character?

I didn't write the Noseybonk piece, I think we approached him but no joy I'm afraid.

Harry Badger

Excellent news, I'd totally forgotten that Volume 2 was due. Ordered mine today.

scarred

Quote from: Harry Badger on December 30, 2020, 06:46:46 PM
Excellent news, I'd totally forgotten that Volume 2 was due. Ordered mine today.

Hope you enjoy it! We're very proud of it and its getting some great reviews.

scarred

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 28, 2020, 01:57:10 PM
I really liked the first one because it was delving into my childhood fears but this next book is rooted in 1980s creepy nostalgia by which time I was a teenager and couldn't give a toss about Noseybonk or the Kinder egg advert.

My only other niggle is I feel they could've got two books out of the first one. Its comprehensiveness and size is rather overwhelming,   even as a toilet book. Will still get it though.

You're not wrong.We keep finding more and more stuff that we wish we'd put into the first volume so we may well revisit the 70s in a future volume or a special edition of the first (with more articles and better proofreading...bloody pagination).

pigamus

studpuppet

scarred

Quote from: studpuppet on December 31, 2020, 01:01:23 AM
Paperback

eBook

Code NEWYOU15 gets you 15% off the paperback until Friday.

It is unfortunate that the discount code only applies to the paperback version. Lulu doesn't give discounts on ebooks, no idea why!

Catalogue Trousers

Quoteso we may well revisit the 70s in a future volume or a special edition of the first (with more articles and better proofreading...bloody pagination)

Oh wowsers! If that happens, then please drop me a PM or something - I'd love to be involved in writing anything for a Scarred For Life tome. James Gent, who I've written a fair deal for, has contributed to the 1980s volume, I gather, and seemed most surprised to learn that I hadn't volunteered. I didn't realise that I could!

Have also ordered my copy of Volume 2 today. Really looking forward to it.

Camp Tramp

All this talk about Derek Deadman and we forget his most pivotal role.

non capisco

Eerily prescient of how Shaun Ryder looks now.