Author Topic: Scarred for Life Volume Two  (Read 3635 times)

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
Re: Scarred for Life Volume Two
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 08:25:01 PM »

Glebe

• It was just a bad fortnight.
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2021, 02:34:14 AM »
Finally finished watching Thriller on YouTube... onto Armchair Thriller now!

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2021, 10:36:00 PM »
onto Armchair Thriller now!

Ahh, my Scarred For Life moment was locking my entire family out of the mobile home we were living in, after watching the one with James Bolam in. Buried myself under the duvet and didn't heed the (to me) imposter voices of my parents outside. Eventually my dad had to jemmy the door open - that ten seconds felt like hiding in the bathroom from Jack Torrance...

Glebe

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2021, 11:11:52 PM »
Ahh, my Scarred For Life moment was locking my entire family out of the mobile home we were living in, after watching the one with James Bolam in. Buried myself under the duvet and didn't heed the (to me) imposter voices of my parents outside. Eventually my dad had to jemmy the door open - that ten seconds felt like hiding in the bathroom from Jack Torrance...

I've watched 'Rachel in Danger' and 'A Dog's Ransom', the next serial doesn't appear to be online but those were uploaded very recently so here's hoping there's more to follow! In the meantime I've started on Beasts, all six episodes of which appear to be on YT!

gib

• i'll pay for the damage
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2021, 11:17:28 PM »
'A Dog's Ransom'

Girly Clarence!

Glebe

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2021, 11:24:00 PM »
Girly Clarence!

Haha! Apparently based on the book of the same name by the late Patricia Highsmith, who apparently wrote the original novel of Strangers on a Train. Looking her up on Wiki, she sounds like she was an absolutely horrendously awful human being.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2021, 08:09:43 AM »
I've watched 'Rachel in Danger' and 'A Dog's Ransom', the next serial doesn't appear to be online but those were uploaded very recently so here's hoping there's more to follow! In the meantime I've started on Beasts, all six episodes of which appear to be on YT!

Enjoy - RIP Biggy. Tell me what you think of them - I might give them another watch if they are on YT

Glebe

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2021, 05:21:38 PM »
Enjoy - RIP Biggy. Tell me what you think of them - I might give them another watch if they are on YT

Watched 'During Barty's Party', a bit shouty and hysterical and over-the-top, but entertaining nonetheless, and 'Buddyboy', pretty ridiculous premise but it's oddness is intriguing.

The YT uploads have some sound cuts due to music copyright, I think.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2021, 07:40:41 PM »
Watched 'Baby' yet? No, I guess not, otherwise you'd be bawling in the PMs to me to come sleep at the foot of your bed and bring a comfort blanket.

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2021, 07:33:36 PM »
I think  "A Dog's Ransom" is the peak of Armchair Thriller, that and the Bolam story are probably equal for two best serials.

Series 2 was a big disappointment generally, with the exception of "Dying Day". The quality just seemed to drop off and the last story, "The Chelsea Murders", felt like no-one could be bothered any more(which might be why it wasn't even broadcast in episodic form).

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2021, 08:46:33 PM »
'Buddyboy', pretty ridiculous premise but it's oddness is intriguing.

1976. Ten years old, I remember the nightclub office scene and the shock of seeing the stripper flashing her Bristols to Gunner Mackintosh from It Ain't Alf Hot, Mum.  My dad said, "Well, we're not watching any more of this". Click.

Cut to exactly thirty years later. Watching it with my girlfriend. That office scene. 

Girlfriend: "Well, we're not watching any more of this." Click.

You see far more nudity/ sex in contemporary shows but there is something gratuitously seedy about this moment that only 1970s British TV is able to pull off.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2021, 08:59:09 PM »
Blimey, you still haven't been able to finish that wank.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• I just want to tell you I've got scabs on my head.
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2021, 08:05:03 AM »
Blimey, you still haven't been able to finish that wank.

^ Gets well- deserved " Lisa's CaB Post Of The Week" Award

Brundle-Fly

• "Why don't you do something to help me?"
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2021, 12:43:13 PM »
I was ten. TEN!

Glebe

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2021, 02:29:42 PM »
Watched 'Baby' yet? No, I guess not, otherwise you'd be bawling in the PMs to me to come sleep at the foot of your bed and bring a comfort blanket.

Finished the series, yeah the witch is scary as fuck. Was looking at TP McKenna's wife in that episode and thinking, "That looks like Aunt Beru from Star Wars!" and bloody heck, turns out it is indeed! Jane Wymark reminded me of Gwyneth Paltrow. Simon MacCorkindale would go on to star in US series Manimal.

Patrick Magee, who was so memorable as the husband victim in A Clockwork Orange (he also popped up in Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, also appeared in a couple of Thiller episodes) plays the werewolf-obsessed prof in 'What Big Eyes' ... Martin Shaw returning from 'Buddyboy' too.

Followed up Beasts by finally watching The Stone Tape, top stuff. Michael Bryant's character very much made me think of Reece Sheersmith.

On an M.R. James kick now, got around at last to watching another much-touted BBC production, the Jonathan Miller-directed Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You, with the wonderful Michael Hordern. Enough wry mumbling to put Rowley Birkin, QC out of business. I read the story years ago (and James' 'Casting the Runes', which served as the basis for Night of the Demon). Have also watched another couple of James BBC adaptations, A Warning to the Curious, with Peter Vaughan, and The Stalls of Barchester with Robert Hardy and Clive Swift, who returns from Curious, again playing Dr. Black. Wonderfully atmospheric and creepy. Lost Hearts next! I've been watching these on my phone I'm ashamed to admit, but then they are all uploaded at 360p/480p.

By the way, Mark Gatiss doc M.R. James: Ghost Writer is worth a look.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2021, 03:23:56 PM »
was not able to get through Stone Tape, terrifying

Glebe

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2021, 03:29:18 PM »
was not able to get through Stone Tape, terrifying

Yeah, it's quite unsettling!

BlodwynPig

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2021, 03:38:00 PM »
Yeah, it's quite unsettling!

yes, unsettling to the max

Rizla

• That's not another knife - THIS is another knife!
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2021, 03:46:38 PM »

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2021, 06:42:48 PM »
1976. Ten years old, I remember the nightclub office scene and the shock of seeing the stripper flashing her Bristols to Gunner Mackintosh from It Ain't Alf Hot, Mum.  My dad said, "Well, we're not watching any more of this". Click.

Cut to exactly thirty years later. Watching it with my girlfriend. That office scene. 

You see far more nudity/ sex in contemporary shows but there is something gratuitously seedy about this moment that only 1970s British TV is able to pull off.

Remember it well, it was the talk of the primary school playground the next morning.

Glebe

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2021, 04:23:52 PM »
Right, so I've watched Lost Hearts, The Treasure of Abbot Thomas and The Ash Tree... Lost Hearts is wonderfully creepy and atmospheric and has inspired my current avatar... Abbot Thomas, which features The Stone Tape's Michael Bryant, is decent but feels like it could have been fleshed out more... The Ash Tree also feels oddly too short, but does include some absolute terrifying spider babies and I'm glad I didn't see it as a kid because I truly would have been scarred for life!

The Ash Tree also features some gratuitous witch-boobs!

Glebe

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2021, 10:21:14 PM »
More witch gubbins, watched Kneale's Murrain, pretty good.

Tags: