Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scarred for Life Volume Two

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, December 28, 2020, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Glebe

Finally finished watching Thriller on YouTube... onto Armchair Thriller now!

studpuppet

Quote from: Glebe on March 22, 2021, 02:34:14 AM
onto Armchair Thriller now!

Ahh, my Scarred For Life moment was locking my entire family out of the mobile home we were living in, after watching the one with James Bolam in. Buried myself under the duvet and didn't heed the (to me) imposter voices of my parents outside. Eventually my dad had to jemmy the door open - that ten seconds felt like hiding in the bathroom from Jack Torrance...

Glebe

Quote from: studpuppet on March 22, 2021, 10:36:00 PM
Ahh, my Scarred For Life moment was locking my entire family out of the mobile home we were living in, after watching the one with James Bolam in. Buried myself under the duvet and didn't heed the (to me) imposter voices of my parents outside. Eventually my dad had to jemmy the door open - that ten seconds felt like hiding in the bathroom from Jack Torrance...

I've watched 'Rachel in Danger' and 'A Dog's Ransom', the next serial doesn't appear to be online but those were uploaded very recently so here's hoping there's more to follow! In the meantime I've started on Beasts, all six episodes of which appear to be on YT!

Glebe

Quote from: gib on March 22, 2021, 11:17:28 PM
Girly Clarence!

Haha! Apparently based on the book of the same name by the late Patricia Highsmith, who apparently wrote the original novel of Strangers on a Train. Looking her up on Wiki, she sounds like she was an absolutely horrendously awful human being.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Glebe on March 22, 2021, 11:11:52 PM
I've watched 'Rachel in Danger' and 'A Dog's Ransom', the next serial doesn't appear to be online but those were uploaded very recently so here's hoping there's more to follow! In the meantime I've started on Beasts, all six episodes of which appear to be on YT!

Enjoy - RIP Biggy. Tell me what you think of them - I might give them another watch if they are on YT

Glebe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 23, 2021, 08:09:43 AMEnjoy - RIP Biggy. Tell me what you think of them - I might give them another watch if they are on YT

Watched 'During Barty's Party', a bit shouty and hysterical and over-the-top, but entertaining nonetheless, and 'Buddyboy', pretty ridiculous premise but it's oddness is intriguing.

The YT uploads have some sound cuts due to music copyright, I think.

BlodwynPig

Watched 'Baby' yet? No, I guess not, otherwise you'd be bawling in the PMs to me to come sleep at the foot of your bed and bring a comfort blanket.

Phil_A

I think  "A Dog's Ransom" is the peak of Armchair Thriller, that and the Bolam story are probably equal for two best serials.

Series 2 was a big disappointment generally, with the exception of "Dying Day". The quality just seemed to drop off and the last story, "The Chelsea Murders", felt like no-one could be bothered any more(which might be why it wasn't even broadcast in episodic form).

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Glebe on March 23, 2021, 05:21:38 PM
'Buddyboy', pretty ridiculous premise but it's oddness is intriguing.

1976. Ten years old, I remember the nightclub office scene and the shock of seeing the stripper flashing her Bristols to Gunner Mackintosh from It Ain't Alf Hot, Mum.  My dad said, "Well, we're not watching any more of this". Click.

Cut to exactly thirty years later. Watching it with my girlfriend. That office scene. 

Girlfriend: "Well, we're not watching any more of this." Click.

You see far more nudity/ sex in contemporary shows but there is something gratuitously seedy about this moment that only 1970s British TV is able to pull off.

BlodwynPig

Blimey, you still haven't been able to finish that wank.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 24, 2021, 08:59:09 PM
Blimey, you still haven't been able to finish that wank.

^ Gets well- deserved " Lisa's CaB Post Of The Week" Award

Brundle-Fly

Glebe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 23, 2021, 07:40:41 PMWatched 'Baby' yet? No, I guess not, otherwise you'd be bawling in the PMs to me to come sleep at the foot of your bed and bring a comfort blanket.

Finished the series, yeah the witch is scary as fuck. Was looking at TP McKenna's wife in that episode and thinking, "That looks like Aunt Beru from Star Wars!" and bloody heck, turns out it is indeed! Jane Wymark reminded me of Gwyneth Paltrow. Simon MacCorkindale would go on to star in US series Manimal.

Patrick Magee, who was so memorable as the husband victim in A Clockwork Orange (he also popped up in Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, also appeared in a couple of Thiller episodes) plays the werewolf-obsessed prof in 'What Big Eyes' ... Martin Shaw returning from 'Buddyboy' too.

Followed up Beasts by finally watching The Stone Tape, top stuff. Michael Bryant's character very much made me think of Reece Sheersmith.

On an M.R. James kick now, got around at last to watching another much-touted BBC production, the Jonathan Miller-directed Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You, with the wonderful Michael Hordern. Enough wry mumbling to put Rowley Birkin, QC out of business. I read the story years ago (and James' 'Casting the Runes', which served as the basis for Night of the Demon). Have also watched another couple of James BBC adaptations, A Warning to the Curious, with Peter Vaughan, and The Stalls of Barchester with Robert Hardy and Clive Swift, who returns from Curious, again playing Dr. Black. Wonderfully atmospheric and creepy. Lost Hearts next! I've been watching these on my phone I'm ashamed to admit, but then they are all uploaded at 360p/480p.

By the way, Mark Gatiss doc M.R. James: Ghost Writer is worth a look.

BlodwynPig

was not able to get through Stone Tape, terrifying

Glebe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 02, 2021, 03:23:56 PMwas not able to get through Stone Tape, terrifying

Yeah, it's quite unsettling!

BlodwynPig

Rizla

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 24, 2021, 08:46:33 PM
1976. Ten years old, I remember the nightclub office scene and the shock of seeing the stripper flashing her Bristols to Gunner Mackintosh from It Ain't Alf Hot, Mum.  My dad said, "Well, we're not watching any more of this". Click.

Cut to exactly thirty years later. Watching it with my girlfriend. That office scene. 

You see far more nudity/ sex in contemporary shows but there is something gratuitously seedy about this moment that only 1970s British TV is able to pull off.

Remember it well, it was the talk of the primary school playground the next morning.

Glebe

Right, so I've watched Lost Hearts, The Treasure of Abbot Thomas and The Ash Tree... Lost Hearts is wonderfully creepy and atmospheric and has inspired my current avatar... Abbot Thomas, which features The Stone Tape's Michael Bryant, is decent but feels like it could have been fleshed out more... The Ash Tree also feels oddly too short, but does include some absolute terrifying
Spoiler alert
spider babies
[close]
and I'm glad I didn't see it as a kid because I truly would have been scarred for life!

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 24, 2021, 08:46:33 PM1976. Ten years old, I remember the nightclub office scene and the shock of seeing the stripper flashing her Bristols to Gunner Mackintosh from It Ain't Alf Hot, Mum.  My dad said, "Well, we're not watching any more of this". Click.

The Ash Tree also features some gratuitous witch-boobs!

Glebe

More witch gubbins, watched Kneale's Murrain, pretty good.

Glebe

More MR James, have since watched BBC adaptations A View from a Hill, Number 13, the 2010 John Hurt Whistle and I'll Come to You and Mark Gatiss' The Tractate Middoth, which are all on YouTube (as is Gatiss' Martin's Close, although it seems to be edited so have not watched it).

Found A View from a Hill a bit anodyne, Number 13 wasn't bad... the 2010 Whistle and I'll Come to You is a bit unsettling, but perhaps takes too many liberties as an adaptation and kind of becomes something else... The Tractate Middoth (which is the only one I've watched via TV, the rest I've watched on me phone... it's a really good upload and actually looks good on a full-size screen) is short and sweet and has some nice scary horror moments (plus an amusing performance from Roy Barraclough). Oh yeah, bit belated but I should point out that I've actually only ever read 'Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad' and 'Casting the Runes'.

Thanks to YouTube's recommendations, I also watched 1982 BBC supernatural drama Ghost in the Water, which was kind of aimed at a young audience, it's okay but the ending is a bit of damp squib. Last of the Summer Wine's Jane Freeman is the only member of the cast I recognise. There's also a short series called The Watch House on YT, another thing that passed me by in childhood... prolly give that a look.

BlodwynPig

The Watch House was filmed in Tynemouth in an old (I think former lighthouse - although it must have been an antiquated one where someone held a candle up at the window, given that it doesn't fit a lighthouse profile). I think you used to be able to go inside, at least I have memories of walking around it after watching the adaptation. (ah its a museum now, must have been back when I visited too)

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x487e6ec0c499abfd%3A0xae5effb0b5a9b668!3m1!7e115!4s%2Fmaps%2Fplace%2Fthe%2Bwatch%2Bhouse%2Btynemouth%2F%4055.0146186%2C-1.418673%2C3a%2C75y%2C282.64h%2C90t%2Fdata%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sOuAgwfzXEgXB4CekpOxe7w*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x487e6ec0c499abfd%3A0xae5effb0b5a9b668%3Fsa%3DX!5sthe%20watch%20house%20tynemouth%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e2!2sOuAgwfzXEgXB4CekpOxe7w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwmoPHuKDwAhXGXRUIHSjdAQoQpx8wDnoECDIQCA

Glebe

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 28, 2021, 08:44:31 AMThe Watch House was filmed in Tynemouth in an old (I think former lighthouse - although it must have been an antiquated one where someone held a candle up at the window, given that it doesn't fit a lighthouse profile). I think you used to be able to go inside, at least I have memories of walking around it after watching the adaptation. (ah its a museum now, must have been back when I visited too)

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x487e6ec0c499abfd%3A0xae5effb0b5a9b668!3m1!7e115!4s%2Fmaps%2Fplace%2Fthe%2Bwatch%2Bhouse%2Btynemouth%2F%4055.0146186%2C-1.418673%2C3a%2C75y%2C282.64h%2C90t%2Fdata%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sOuAgwfzXEgXB4CekpOxe7w*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x487e6ec0c499abfd%3A0xae5effb0b5a9b668%3Fsa%3DX!5sthe%20watch%20house%20tynemouth%20-%20Google%20Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e2!2sOuAgwfzXEgXB4CekpOxe7w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwmoPHuKDwAhXGXRUIHSjdAQoQpx8wDnoECDIQCA

Just finished watching this, very charming.

Glebe

Watched Children of the Stones on YT... I was an infant when it was first broadcast but it must have been repeated because I was familiar with it. It's a charming watch, a kind of family-friendly The Wicker Man is some ways... quite atmospheric and the theme tune is particularly creepy. Great cast including Gareth 'Roj Blake' Thomas, Iain Cuthbertson (The Stone Tape, The Scunner Campbell in Super Gran, et al) and Freddie Jones, who had an extensive career but I, like many, am familiar with him as Bytes in The Elephant Man).

Nice little interview with Gareth Thomas here, in which he reveals he was mates with both Cuthbertson and Jones... all three no longer with us, sadly. Interesting to note Thomas played one of the workmen in Quatermass and the Pit, something I feel like I had heard before, not sure, hmmm.

Happy day!

Glebe

Just finished watching The Owl Service on YouTube the other day... flipping heck, I wasn't prepared for the oddness of that! More of an avant-garde drama than a kids show... it's definitely not suitable for younger children. It's really weird how they never show the mother, even though she's meant to be around... was confused at first and thought Clive had married Gwyn's mum!

Turns out pretty actress Gillian Hills (Alison) was in Blow Up and A Clockwork Orange, enjoying a threesome in both films! Apparently (and sadly) Michael Holden, who played Gwyn, was killed in a pub brawl in London in 1977. Edwin Richfield (Clive) played the government minister in Quatermass and the Pit... he reminds me of another actor actually... or maybe I'm just thinking of Blue Peter's John Noakes! Francis Wallis (Roger) is a dead ringer for Absolutely's John Sparkes!

I've given the first couple of episodes of Into The Labyrinth a shot, the whole series is currently on YouTube. I remember it being on as a kid... according to Wiki it was directed by Peter Graham Scott, who also directed Children of the Stones, and the music was composed by Sidney Sager, who was also responsible for CotS spooky theme. As I say, I've watched a few episodes but I'm not such I can make it through the rest of the three series... thankfully New Zealand spookfest Under the Mountain is on YT, scared the crap out of me as a kid... I remember watching the last episode one summer day and the reception went (this was back in the old analogue days of course!) so I never found out what happened in the end! The YT upload is clearly sourced from a wonky videotape, but there's something authentic about that!

The book was also adapted as a 2007 movie starring Sam Neil. Bill Johnson, who plays Mr. Wilberforce in the series, popped up as Ann's friend Manny in Peter Jackson's King Kong, and also apparently popped up as Old Noakes in the extended edition of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Children of the Dog Star, another NZ series that put the shits up me a nipper, is also on YT so I imagine I'll be giving that a watch.

No sign of The Clifton House Mystery online, although Network have the DVD for £7 on their website. I don't fancy shelling out for the Armchair Thriller boxset, but I can't find any more episodes of that on YT or owt, unfortunately.

frajer

Quote from: Glebe on May 19, 2021, 02:02:38 PM
Just finished watching The Owl Service on YouTube the other day... flipping heck, I wasn't prepared for the oddness of that! More of an avant-garde drama than a kids show... it's definitely not suitable for younger children. It's really weird how they never show the mother, even though she's meant to be around... was confused at first and thought Clive had married Gwyn's mum!

Ooh yeah, absolutely love The Owl Service. Alan Garner's original book is a ten-beller too. Perfect escalation of sinister atmosphere and historical folklore into a real threat.

I picked up the first volume of Scarred for Life and really enjoyed dipping into it, should get round to picking up the second.

Glebe

Looking forward to picking up both at some point, 'tightening my belt' at the moment!

Glebe

Finished watching Under the Mountain... proper scary nostalgia TV, with plenty of adventure and excitement!