Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:56:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Instant Pot 11 in 1 PLUS air-fryer

Started by Cuellar, December 28, 2020, 08:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

IP does spaghetti squash in 6 minutes. It isn't very good but it isn't very good after an hour in the oven either.

TrenterPercenter

Also it should be pointed out pressure cookers can accentuate flavours due to the presure compressing and pushing the juices into the contents.  You don't add hardly any extra water (it's like a table spoon).

So basically these things make food that would take hours in a slow cooker or oven (Instant Pots have slow cooker functions also) to taste right in often less than half the time.  They also tenderise things that need tenderising which you can then whip out and finish whatever way you like.

There is a lot of faffy rubbish in terms of kitchen appliances but the pressure cooker is not one of them.

They are also meant to be brilliant for making cheesecakes, though i've never tried this.

touchingcloth

Quote from: pancreas on December 28, 2020, 09:04:32 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if you were on the Goblin Hamburgers every night and you came here to complain performatively about other people making stews. I could believe you were capable of such low behaviour.

When you say "on the Goblin Hamburgers" do you mean it in the sense of "on top of the Goblin Hamburgers"? I imagine you do mean it in the sense of your interlocutor being sat on some Goblin Hamburgers while he denies a succession of pressurised vessels running the gamut from airplane fuselages to Lynx canisters.

pancreas

gib

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on December 28, 2020, 10:04:10 PM
Also it should be pointed out pressure cookers can accentuate flavours due to the presure compressing and pushing the juices into the contents.

listen to yourself

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: gib on December 28, 2020, 10:50:36 PM
listen to yourself

You mean read yourself.

I'm just trying to counter some prejudical beliefs about pressure cookers.  It's a real problem gib but few will take a stand and speak truth to power in this day and age.

gib

i'll push juices into your contents in a minute

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: gib on December 28, 2020, 11:03:07 PM
i'll push juices into your contents in a minute

If you do not have sufficient pressure to increase the boiling point of your juices to 121C then I'm not interested.

Jittlebags

Can you do a KFC in it? If so, I'm getting one.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jittlebags on December 28, 2020, 11:31:53 PM

Nah but you can pretty much coat chicken and shallow fry it.

Dex Sawash

I saw an IP recipe for something a few weeks ago that sounded good but I don't remember what it was.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 28, 2020, 11:41:34 PM
I saw an IP recipe for something a few weeks ago that sounded good but I don't remember what it was.

I bought a slightly cheaper Pressure King beforehand, but it didn't seal properly (the lid comes in two pieces with the seal on a flimsy disc of pressed metal on the inside of the lid a bit like a hubcap) and having seen some other things I didn't like about it, got a refund and put the money towards an IP instead.

Anyway it came with a recipe book with some good stuff in it, which I scanned with my phone. Most of the recipes were great, but one was 'bangers and mash' which required you to saute the sausages first, then put the spuds and milk in the thing with the sausages in a metal pouch on top and pressure cook it for slightly less time time than it takes to boil potatoes. Pointless.  I can only assume that was written on a Friday afternoon.

holyzombiejesus

What's wrong with waiting for food to cook for the usual amount of time? It's not like anyone on here's time is very valuable.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Jittlebags on December 28, 2020, 11:31:53 PM

In the air fryer part, yes.

You can also make devil rice, where you put KFC chicken and soy sauce in with rice as you cook it, then shred the KFC into the rice when it's done.

Sebastian Cobb

I see you can get the air fryer lid to retrofit. How much is that in North America? On the UK amazon it's nearly 200 quid, the same price as a ninja, who were leading the pressure +fry combo's.

QDRPHNC

No idea, I have the instant pot mini and a separate air fryer / convection / toaster oven thing.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 29, 2020, 12:16:15 AM
I see you can get the air fryer lid to retrofit. How much is that in North America? On the UK amazon it's nearly 200 quid, the same price as a ninja, who were leading the pressure +fry combo's.

$80  from amazon

There's a bunch chinese lids that say they fit too but not enough cheaper to botber

Goldentony

john the fucking lot of shits got too many words

Goldentony

what the fuck is this, this thing that has loads of things on , fucking burn the shop down, what the fuck is happening

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Keep your debauched car crusher space food

Oh mate only got 10 minutes before we do a graveyard orbit of Phobos... need a quick meal, here's a pavement slab and a skag needle and some chewits

Marner and Me

They're for idle people like me who can't cook using pans dishes and ovens. I have a slow cooker, a George Forman and can use a pan, a colander and a lid as a make shift steamer for veg.

Cuellar

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 29, 2020, 12:13:15 AM
What's wrong with waiting for food to cook for the usual amount of time? It's not like anyone on here's time is very valuable.

Exactly. I couldn't give a fuck if my lentils take 2 hours or 1 hour. And you can just buy lentils in a can/pouch anyway and then they take minutes.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on December 28, 2020, 09:05:41 PM
ribs for example.  That you would have to either slow cook or boil for hrs you can do that in 20 mins in pressure cooker.

Do you, though? You have to cook ribs for hours do you? I put it to you that you don't have to. You can do them in 20 minutes under the grill.

Sebastian Cobb

What's the point in cars? Everywhere's walking distance if you have enough time.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cuellar on December 29, 2020, 04:57:00 PM
Do you, though? You have to cook ribs for hours do you? I put it to you that you don't have to. You can do them in 20 minutes under the grill.

Ah I understand now.  You don't know how to cook.

Pingers

Can you actually fry things in air though? That would be impressive, I would be impressed at that. "I can fry things in air" you'd say, and "bollocks" I would reply, and then "Well check this out" and I'd be like "goats and monkeys, that is impressive!" If Jesus could fry things in air it would definitely have made it into the Bible, final edit.

shiftwork2

I've had a succession of Portuguese underlings / shitmunchers who swear by an expensive cooking robot.  You put your food in and it makes it into a soup or a cake.

fake edit:  It's a Bimby.

Now this along with Roomba is the future I was promised.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteExactly. I couldn't give a fuck if my lentils take 2 hours or 1 hour. And you can just buy lentils in a can/pouch anyway and then they take minutes.

Nice for you. Some people, especially those working 2 jobs and looking after a family are caught between not having the time to do the former and not being able to as frequently afford the convenience of the latter.

I have tried to point this out to the 'It's parents job to feed kids healthy, you can make healthy food for nowt' people slagging Marcus Rashford, but unfortunately they are a bit thick.

shiftwork2

These time-pressed parents should simply purchase a Bimby (£800) and a Roomba (£400) and have some quality time with their children.

Honestly, do I have to solve all the problems round here?

TrenterPercenter

Pressure cookers have been around since the 17th century and work on the science of raising the boiling temperature of liquids using pressure.  These new fangled ones are all just safer electric versions of the stovetop ones everyone had before microwaves were invented (which seem to be a much more accepted yet in many ways largely inferior quick cooking appliance).  The idea that they are some needless modern tech is quite silly, they don't just cook things quickly, they cook things quickly as if they were cooked slowly for a much longer time (something you can't do in a microwave or anything else for that matter).

Anyway this is all pointless as Cuellar thinks he can grill ribs in 20 minutes and they would be anything like ribs should be.  So I think the correct response really is "is your face made out of electricity and ham? Yes it's awful when that happens, my friend had that....."