Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:07:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

bitmap > jpeg question. help please.

Started by Krang, February 27, 2004, 03:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krang

Quick question,

A friend of mine recently went to save 3 bitmaps into Jpegs, but they corrupted, paint wouldnt open the jpeg, and no preview was available.

does anyone know why this happens, and if its possible to fix with the jpeg files?

Reverend Minge

I think Paint is only able to able to view bitmap files which may account for the inability to view jpegs.

To turn bitmaps into jpegs, they usually have to be exported to be converted - though Paint Shop Pro does it for you when you "Save As..." if I remember correctly.

Did your mate just save the bitmaps and slap on the .jpeg extension at the end hoping that would do it?

Rats

If you drag the file into http://www.irfanview.com/ it will tell you if it has the wrong extension and rename it for you, you can then save it as a jpeg from there. It's a really decent program and small too, you can do loads with it.

Krang

Irfanview says the jpeg's datastream has no image...

does anyone know what this means, or if it can be fixed.

Timmay

I think the JPEG datastream needs to make an appointment with Trinny and Susannah.

No, I've no fucking idea. Sounds like it's knackered. But I guess you knew that.

Auntie Ovipositor

Quote from: "Krang"Irfanview says the jpeg's datastream has no image...

does anyone know what this means, or if it can be fixed.

It means that your "friend" is screwed. There's a jpeg header, but no recognizable image data. How big's the file? I'm guessing quite small.

Krang

the image was 106kb i think.

The image isnt that important, does anyone know any reasons as to why this might happen?

Rats

I searched for "corrupted jpeg" before when I read the thread and something came up saying something about having two thingumies that makes and read the jpegs conflicting with each other and you had to delete the older one. That might be what's wrong if anyone knows how you'd do that.

Timmay

Oh shit, of course, the thingumies. Also there's a program you might want to try called... called... shit, can't remember, but search for it on Google. It began with B, and it claims to be able to fix stuff on your PC.

Rats

Hmmmm, you know what I mean big nose, are they codecs? The same as what the video ones is called?

Timmay

Heh... yeah, they could well be codecs. But I didn't really think Windows used codecs as such for things like JPEGs and other image files. It's got em built in see, and they rarely change like video or audio ones do.

Still, could be worth a look into.

Krang

Adobe says an "uknown or invalid marker"

ive been snooping around on google, but unfortunatly its all a bit complicated for me to understand.

He claims to have just opened the bitmap in paint, save as, jpeg... which is the same way id go about doing this.

The explanations more important than getting the actual image.

Auntie Ovipositor was correct, the image is alot smaller than what it should have been, it should have been about 600kb (as a jpeg)

Timmay

What the fuck is this image that makes it so important? The Queen mother taking it up the bangle? Concrete proof of an alien autopsy? A photo of Neil or TJ?

Rats

I'm guessing, it might be worth a go and it won't cause any harm to try.
Download http://www3.sympatico.ca/one.human/files/Jpegim32.flt and put it in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Grphflt folder. It might be that file is corrupted, I'm guessing that's the thingy that's used to read and write jpegs?

Flook

A favourite trick of mine when presented with an unknown or wrongly suffixed file is to open it in notepad, almost all of the file will be hex garbage but either near the top or the bottom of the file you can often see markers in plain english that let you identify the file type - for instance PDF files always start with '%PDF', windows bitmaps (*.bmp) start with 'BM', gifs start with 'GIF', etc etc.

Out of interest has yer man tried renaming the files *.bmp and see if they open then? I mention that cos I dont remember if paint can even save JPG's

Rats

It can, so long as you have the jpeg filter in that folder I mentioned. He's tried running the file through irfanview, that notifies you if the file has the wrong extension and asks if you'd like to change it.

Flook

Ahh, and now you've shown me up to be the type of person that just swans to the end of a thread and posts whatever vapid thought was in his head without bothering to read the rest of the posts...shame on me :-)

Krang - how about you upload one of these files somewhere so the collective techheads around here can try to sort it out for you

Rats

Bah, harry hill isn't being shown up here, they've got some shit about football on.