Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Archiving Radio 4 shows

Started by Retinend, December 29, 2020, 06:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

how is this best done without going through the rigmarole of recording in real time?

Consignia

Use get_iplayer? It's quite complicated to get started, but once you've got it going it's pretty good and just grabbing beeb content.

Retinend

oooh boy - that's the thing that I saw someone mention years back,  and I hoped that something less intimidating would have come up in the meantime that takes fewer brain cells to operate.

There's something very basic I don't understand about GitHub: you always gets these zipped folders full of pieces of code. are you supposed to import them all into "UniversalProgramMaker2000" and "export to .exe" or something? I'm totally lost.

would you, or anyone else, like to take pity on a poor n00b and write a foolproof guide? 🙏

pcsjwgm

Downloading the audio using Youtube-DLG works for me.

Quote from: pcsjwgm on November 27, 2020, 02:07:54 PM
I use youtube-dl-gui. Extremely simple to use, just copy and paste the URL, click Add, and click the download button.
https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/

studpuppet

I don't download enough shows to set up automatic downloads or anything, but on a Mac I open Terminal and punch in:

get_iplayer --pid=xxxxxx

so if I wanted to download the first part off Diane Morgan's Neil Innes doc (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000py8k)

I'd enter: get_iplayer --pid=m000py8k

Obviously this works for iPlayer Programme IDs as well as Sounds ones.

JesusAndYourBush

With get_iplayer, when you start it from your start menu it does that searching/downloading thing for 5 minutes, indexing pages for some shitty search function that doesn't even work properly, and which I don't use because I get the program id's from the webpage anyway.

To get rid of that crappy searching so that it starts instantly instead of having to wait, rightclick the entry in your start menu, select properties, and for 'target', change it from

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --search dontshowanymatches && get_iplayer.cmd --help
to
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --help

The path will be different depending on o/s so don't copy/paste the entire line, basically you're just deleting the "--dontshowanymatches && get_iplayer.cmd" part.

It was a massive ballacher before I got rid of that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: studpuppet on January 01, 2021, 05:32:33 PM
I don't download enough shows to set up automatic downloads or anything, but on a Mac I open Terminal and punch in:

get_iplayer --pid=xxxxxx

so if I wanted to download the first part off Diane Morgan's Neil Innes doc (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000py8k)

I'd enter: get_iplayer --pid=m000py8k

Obviously this works for iPlayer Programme IDs as well as Sounds ones.

I do this but use --url and paste the entire url into the terminal.

Another useful one, if you're grabbing a series is to add --pid-recursive, that way you can paste the series pid (or url) and grab everything at once.

JesusAndYourBush

Another tip: when downloading from youtube with youtube-dl, add --no-continue to your download request.
While downloading a video if it craps out it resumes, but when you watch the video later you'll find the picture is frozen for around 8 seconds* when it gets to the part where it resumed. --no-continue makes it start again from the beginning.

*Unless they fixed it in a recent update (I can't find a version history on the site so I can't check).

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 01, 2021, 06:11:10 PM

To get rid of that crappy searching so that it starts instantly instead of having to wait, rightclick the entry in your start menu, select properties, and for 'target', change it from

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --search dontshowanymatches && get_iplayer.cmd --help
to
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /k get_iplayer.cmd --help

The path will be different depending on o/s so don't copy/paste the entire line, basically you're just deleting the "--dontshowanymatches && get_iplayer.cmd" part.

It was a massive ballacher before I got rid of that.

That's great, thanks for that. I only use the get_iplayer --pid= function, so your top tip saves a bit of time.

JesusAndYourBush

Oops, I just noticed I said

basically you're just deleting the "--dontshowanymatches && get_iplayer.cmd" part.

when I should have said

basically you're just deleting the "--search dontshowanymatches && get_iplayer.cmd" part.

Although it should have been obvious by the before and after where only the "--help" part is remaining.

Phil_A

Anyone wanting to us getiplayer should use the Web PVR tool that installs along with it. It makes life much easier as it gives you an interface rather than having to rely on command line instructions.

olliebean

I made my life easier by setting up the External Application Button browser extension to work with get_iplayer so I can download stuff straight from the right-click menu in my browser.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 02, 2021, 01:20:28 AM
Another tip: when downloading from youtube with youtube-dl, add --no-continue to your download request.
While downloading a video if it craps out it resumes, but when you watch the video later you'll find the picture is frozen for around 8 seconds* when it gets to the part where it resumed. --no-continue makes it start again from the beginning.

*Unless they fixed it in a recent update (I can't find a version history on the site so I can't check).

Ignore that.  While downloading today I discovered --no-continue doesn't work.  To receive an unglitched file you have to stop the download manually, delete the partially downloaded files and start again.