Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eric Idle- Easily The Worst Python?

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, December 30, 2020, 11:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Inspired by the Neil Innes thread. With all his Python diluting ways for fun and profit what he's been indulging in for the best part of 30 years ( touring Python material with just himself and a load of anonymous- like Yank actors, " Spamalot", fucking Rutles 2 that fucking horrible last Python live show what he directed, with completely inappropriate big show- type song and dance numbers, etc.), Eric Idle has to be the worst Python, Shirley? Are there any of the boys and girls of CaB who believe there to be a worse Python than the girly- haired money- grubbing git? Maybe you think Michael Palin was a complete cunt, or Carol Cleveland was some bint who couldn't act and didn't even get her tits out properly ( as the lads themselves wanted her to do for their " Scott of the Sahara"  sketch). Write in and tell us.
( Cleese a close second)

Alberon

John Cleese could give him a good run. Less by monetising every aspect of Python, but by comprehensively shitting on his own legacy the last decade or more.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Alberon on December 30, 2020, 11:48:52 AM
John Cleese could give him a good run. Less by monetising every aspect of Python, but by comprehensively shitting on his own legacy the last decade or more.

Terry Gilliam's not far behind him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

John Cleese never wears socks when he's being interviewed on the telly, the big, moustachioed sockless cunt.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

How has Terry Gilliam harmed his brand?

markburgle

All valid points by the OP, but if you were to pick one of the original 6 to disappear and still hope to have the remaining 5 do great stuff, I think Gilliam would have to be the one.

He may be a much superior artist and a nicer chap than Idle, but as a performer he sucked and as a writer his input was minimal.

The animations might have been really original and striking but the fact is we discuss classic sketches, not classic animated bits.

If we played a macabre what-if-one-of-the-others-died-instead-of-Chapman game, you'd have had the best shot of a productive reunion if it was Gilliam.

Retinend

If he's the "worst" in terms of money-grubbing, he was still one of the most talented, comedically.

edit: redacted... I was trying to compare them to the Beatles (Idle being Harrison) but it didn't work putting 4 into 6

DrGreggles

Has Idle done anything decent outside Python post-RWT?
That's one hell of a drought!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Retinend on December 30, 2020, 12:00:32 PM
If he's the "worst" in terms of money-grubbing, he was still one of the most talented, comedically.

edit: redacted... I was trying to compare them to the Beatles (Idle being Harrison) but it didn't work putting 4 into 6
What I'm getting from the OP is that Idle is the Brian May of Python (ie would sell his granny if the price was right).

Terry Gilliam thinks #MeToo is a witch hunt and white men are the Real Victims, so.

Retinend

Well if we're playing that after all, then I'll reinstate the chunk that worked:

Cleese - Lennon (super talented cunt)
Idle - Harrison (slightly less talented cunt)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 30, 2020, 12:03:12 PM
Has Idle done anything decent outside Python post-RWT?
That's one hell of a drought!

I suppose you could argue that comedy wise, none of them did anything decent after " Ripping Yarns", " Fawlty Towers", etc. In fact, I would argue it was Chapman who did the worst Post - Python stuff: " Out Of The Trees" and " The Odd Job" not on top of anyone's Crack Me Up Comedy list, I would imagine; but it would seem that it's Idle who's produced the most shit.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Retinend on December 30, 2020, 12:10:38 PM
Well if we're playing that after all, then I'll reinstate the chunk that worked:

Cleese - Lennon (super talented cunt)
Idle - Harrison (slightly less talented cunt)

Palin- McCartney
Jones- Ringo
Booth- Yoko

Does that work?

the science eel

Idle was one of the best actors in the original MPFC sketches. Cleese and Palin were a bit better. Chapman and Jones were rubbish.

So for that reason I can't wee-wee all over him. Not yet anyway. Maybe after his death it'll be revealed that he grabbed a load of women's arses on set.

Magnum Valentino

Couldn't you have started a thread to slag off Eric Idle in such a way that didn't fucking FORCE the negativity to expand outwards to encompass five extra people?

Catch yourselves on with this tedious grubby "who's the worst" goblinry.

Retinend

the science eel

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on December 30, 2020, 12:14:07 PM
Couldn't you have started a thread to slag off Eric Idle in such a way that didn't fucking FORCE the negativity to expand outwards to encompass five extra people?

Catch yourselves on with this tedious grubby "who's the worst" goblinry.

You're no fun anymore.

the

Ooh who's the shit one, ooh it's like a soap opera isn't it

vainsharpdad

Stu Sutcliffe went to Art School - so Gilliam can be him.

Chapman could be Brian Epstein - gay and the first to die.

That leaves Tim Brooke-Taylor as Pete Best.

Retinend

or Gilliam as George Martin - that was my first thought for him

Glebe

He comes across as a bit of a git at times in his Sortabiography, to be fair.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: the science eel on December 30, 2020, 12:13:59 PM
Idle was one of the best actors in the original MPFC sketches. Cleese and Palin were a bit better. Chapman and Jones were rubbish.

So for that reason I can't wee-wee all over him. Not yet anyway. Maybe after his death it'll be revealed that he grabbed a load of women's arses on set.

Idle was having an affair with one of the dolly bird actresses on RWT, so probably did a bit of the old arse grabbing at the time. I can imagine Henry Woolf - Campbell getting a bit handsy with Gwen Taylor.Bet David Batley  really milked that scene where he had to get saucy with Wanda Ventham, too not that I blame the fucker, I'd be demanding retakes the whole day long, meself.
I further bet Neil Innes was good as gold, hands to himself,  going home after a hard day's filming on RWT, into the arms of his wife of over 50 years ' standing.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 30, 2020, 01:10:31 PM
Idle was having an affair with one of the dolly bird actresses on RWT, so probably did a bit of the old arse grabbing at the time.

Yeah, probably guilty of sexual assault, probably.

the

Something I really like was made by UTTER CUNTS because I'm a blackbelt in Comedy Fan you see

Retinend

I learned all this stuff about Idle literally yesterday, in the Innes thread. I'm just impressionable, and it's fun to write "cunt" online.

And I don't actually think Cleese is a cunt - just grouchy and a teeny bit racist.

Glebe

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

All these guys are in their eighties now though, aren't they? It's disappointing to see Cleese engaging in lazy "woke jokes" and Gilliam going "OH YOU CAN'T OFFEND ANYBODY THESE DAYS" but is it much of a surprise?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm surprised that they're all in their eighties, I thought it was just Cleese.

( Michael Palin and Eric Idle are both 77, and Terry Gilliam only just turned 80 last month, to be fair. T'others are dead, of course. So....erm....IN YOUR FACE, POIROTS! )

(except the Pythons you specifically pointed out the foibles of are both Gilliam and the 81 year old Cleese)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain- Easily The Worst  CABber?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 30, 2020, 05:48:17 PM
All these guys are in their eighties now though, aren't they? It's disappointing to see Cleese engaging in lazy "woke jokes" and Gilliam going "OH YOU CAN'T OFFEND ANYBODY THESE DAYS" but is it much of a surprise?

It isn't a surprise, but we should recognise that their behaviour is actually consistent with their younger selves, not a product of senile dementia.

They were progressives at the time who were anti-censorship, as well as criticising blasphemy laws, witch-hunts etc. They still believe, rightly or wrongly that potential of someone's offense does not supplant the right to say something, nor does providing that freedom act as carte blanche to be a cunt. Ie - a model of self-censorship where we trust both the speaker to act reasonably and the audience to offer good faith.

Where the age comes in is probably the lazy out-of-touch methods they use the make their points. It is probably also a trap of believing anyone should be able to say anything that one's filter goes a bit fucky. Like a lot of people who end up being forced into trenches on what is actually a more nuanced issue, they probably started off thinking they were doing good and gradually got ensnared by the cunts in their dugout.

Blumf

But what serial killers would the Python's be?