Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,480
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:10:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eric Idle- Easily The Worst Python?

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, December 30, 2020, 11:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I didn't mean "oh they're old so their minds are going", I meant "they're in their 80s, of course they're out of touch and old fashioned in their views by today's standards."

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Idle is conspicuous by his absence in Radio 4's lovely three-part tribute to Neil Innes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000py8l/episodes/player

I remember looking at Idle's Twitter feed when Innes died last year, waiting for a nice tribute to his departed friend and collaborator. No tribute was forthcoming. Now, Idle is under no obligation to say anything, and we have no right to demand that he grieve in public, but I must admit I found his silence quite odd.

Cleese paid tribute, Palin paid tribute, but not a dickie bird from the Python who worked most closely with him. As I say, Idle is perfectly within his rights to keep his feelings to himself, it's none of our business, but when two of your fellow Pythons have said words to the effect of "I'm saddened by this news, he was a lovely, talented man," wouldn't you maybe think to yourself, "I should say something nice too"?

I dunno. I don't currently have access to Eric Idle's brain.

Brundle-Fly

I met somebody last year who described Palin as 'aggressive and boring' and his humble everyman persona is just a schtick. Her preconception of him seems like it would require a lot of effort from Michael to sustain that affability for so many years, if one was such a cunt. But who knows? Or cares?

Miriam Margoyles is always banging on about how ghastly they were at Cambridge. Why on earth would anybody think that mob were all warm and fluffy when you've seen the Python's output?  They have made me laugh until I've nearly passed out especially Eric Idle (concede it was very mean-spirited what he did to Neil Innes) but unless they actually transpire to be out and out monsters I really don't give a toss.

As Cleese once remarked on leaving the show. "I said I make some TV programmes with you, I didn't say I'd marry you." Or something like that.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 30, 2020, 07:30:03 PM
Idle is conspicuous by his absence in Radio 4's lovely three-part tribute to Neil Innes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000py8l/episodes/player

I remember looking at Idle's Twitter feed when Innes died last year, waiting for a nice tribute to his departed friend and collaborator. No tribute was forthcoming. Now, Idle is under no obligation to say anything, and we have no right to demand that he grieve in public, but I must admit I found his silence quite odd.

Cleese paid tribute, Palin paid tribute, but not a dickie bird from the Python who worked most closely with him. As I say, Idle is perfectly within his rights to keep his feelings to himself, it's none of our business, but when two of your fellow Pythons have said words to the effect of "I'm saddened by this news, he was a lovely, talented man," wouldn't you maybe think to yourself, "I should say something nice too"?

I dunno. I don't currently have access to Eric Idle's brain.

Idle probably didn't want to be bombarded with insults from Neil's fans. He's not stupid.

People like to project this Beatle-esque notion of four best friends conquering world onto the Pythons, they were all Cambridge twats at the end of the day and cultivated a rebellious image because of their proximity to the establishment.

By way of getting things back on track, while he's not my "favourite" Python I do consider Idle the funniest. That said he's a massive money grubbing cunt and I hope he drowns in a slurry pit. I'd bet the other Pythons would say the same.

the science eel

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 30, 2020, 07:31:24 PM
I met somebody last year who described Palin as 'aggressive and boring' and his humble everyman persona is just a schtick. Her preconception of him seems like it would require a lot of effort from Michael to sustain that affability for so many years, if one was such a cunt. But who knows? Or cares?

I care! It interests me.

I imagine he's pretty boring. That wouldn't surprise anyone. Aggressive? I imagine he's irritable when faced with someone who won't agree to his demands, possibly to the point of being angry, combative. Maybe that's what was meant. Did he say 'fuck off then' and hang up? That I can square with the Palin I 'know'.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the science eel on December 30, 2020, 07:54:15 PM
I care! It interests me.

I imagine he's pretty boring. That wouldn't surprise anyone. Aggressive? I imagine he's irritable when faced with someone who won't agree to his demands, possibly to the point of being angry, combative. Maybe that's what was meant. Did he say 'fuck off then' and hang up? That I can square with the Palin I 'know'.

Fair enough, eel. She is a young(ish) comedy agent and huge Python fan but felt very disappointed on the evening she spent in his company. People are only human and maybe she expected too much from her hero?

Retinend

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 30, 2020, 07:32:42 PM
Idle probably didn't want to be bombarded with insults from Neil's fans. He's not stupid.

I would have guessed that Innes fans would be as laid-back as the man himself. Are they really that vicious? I dunno. Since Idle is active on Twitter I think that not saying anything is as good as saying something. He knows that journalists would have been heading to Twitter to get his quote on Innes's passing. It's just as a matter of form.

the science eel

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 30, 2020, 08:16:55 PM
Fair enough, eel. She is a young(ish) comedy agent and huge Python fan but felt very disappointed on the evening she spent in his company. People are only human and maybe she expected too much from her hero?

Yeah, that's not unusual, I suppose.

You can catch people on bad days too.

I know it shouldn't matter but I WANT the musicians, comedians, film stars I like to be good sorts. It kind of helps with the appreciation somehow.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: the science eel on December 30, 2020, 08:35:59 PM
Yeah, that's not unusual, I suppose.

You can catch people on bad days too.

I know it shouldn't matter but I WANT the musicians, comedians, film stars I like to be good sorts. It kind of helps with the appreciation somehow.

Human nature, innit?

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 30, 2020, 07:31:24 PM

Miriam Margoyles is always banging on about how ghastly they were at Cambridge. Why on earth would anybody think that mob were all warm and fluffy when you've seen the Python's output?  They have made me laugh until I've nearly passed out especially Eric Idle (concede it was very mean-spirited what he did to Neil Innes) but unless they actually transpire to be out and out monsters I really don't give a toss.

As Cleese once remarked on leaving the show. "I said I make some TV programmes with you, I didn't say I'd marry you." Or something like that.

Well said. I don't give a toss either.  Is Eric Idle a bit of a git? Probably. Maybe. I daresay he's also a nice man for the most part. A human being with flaws and foibles, hence my rather mealy-mouthed post about him not saying anything in public when Innes passed away.

And just to reiterate an earlier self-evident point, Idle was once a brilliant comic writer and performer. He's made me laugh a lot over the years. He's not a monster, he's not a cunt, he was a talented man who shone brightly for about 15 years before running out of steam.   

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 30, 2020, 07:32:42 PM

I agree to an extent, but as Retinend says, Innes' fans aren't a vicious bunch. Idle might have received a couple of comments along the lines of "Oh yeah? Well if you liked him so much, why did you treat him so shoddily?" But he wouldn't have been bombarded with that sort of thing.

Anyway, as I say, how Eric Idle deals with this stuff is entirely up to Eric Idle.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 30, 2020, 12:12:11 PM
Cleese - Lennon (super talented cunt)
Idle - Harrison (slightly less talented cunt)
Palin- McCartney
Jones- Ringo
Booth- Yoko

Fawlty Towers - Plastic Ono Band
Rutland TV - All Things Must Pass
Neil Innes - Harry Nilsson (?)
Handmade Films - Handmade Films

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 30, 2020, 12:11:00 PM
I suppose you could argue that comedy wise, none of them did anything decent after " Ripping Yarns", " Fawlty Towers", etc. In fact, I would argue it was Chapman who did the worst Post - Python stuff: " Out Of The Trees" and " The Odd Job" not on top of anyone's Crack Me Up Comedy list, I would imagine; but it would seem that it's Idle who's produced the most shit.

Well, you've got A Fish Called Wanda and Fierce Creatures, but then again, they've held up by Kevin Kline, and you've also got Rat Race and Erik the Viking.

McChesney Duntz

Wait - you're not calling A Fish Called Wanda shit there, are you? That's simply fucking insane.

(But I was about to say that Wanda was kind of the demarcation point - none of the Pythons spearheaded a fully satisfying comedy project from that point on. [I am willing to concede if proven otherwise.])

Lungpuddle

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAs Cleese once remarked on leaving the show. "I said I make some TV programmes with you, I didn't say I'd marry you."

Although given his marital track record that statement doesn't carry much weight.

The Rutles: All You Need is Cash contains one of the funniest jokes I have ever heard (written and delivered by Idle).

"I am standing outside Shea Stadium, named after the Cuban revolutionary leader, Shea Stadium."

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on December 30, 2020, 07:43:02 PMthey were all Cambridge twats at the end of the day

Three of them were at the most.

Re Idle v Innes: Neil Innes's death came shortly after Idle had quit Twitter https://twitter.com/ericidle/status/1199831877458116608?lang=en
Even if he had just rejoined I think he was only tweeting sporadically. I reckon he just didn't think a Twitter tribute felt right at the time.

He has said nice things about Neil on Twitter before and after.
Someone mentions Idle and The Rutles touring and he replies "It's just Neil Innes [...] he wrote the songs and they are wonderful so I don't make a big deal of it as he needs the money."
https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/764389289174110208

Someone praises Idle's musical expertise and he replies "The music in the Rutles was all by Neil Innes."
https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1128069588527112192

Just a couple of months ago: "the responsibility rests squarely with Neil Innes who wrote and recorded all those brilliant songs..."
https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1318647942983667720

Gurke and Hare

Given that none of the others did Splitting Heirs, yes, he is.

jobotic

My neighbour was once a runner for the BBC. He said that Paul Whitehouse was a right arsehole to him one day and that he was disappointed, not only because he was a fan but because his colleagues had said he was alright. I've read that he's perfectly pleasant too.

No reason to doubt anyone. Maybe Whitehouse had an off day, shit going on his life, can be a bit of a plum sometimes like everyone. Palin too.

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 30, 2020, 10:16:35 PM
Three of them were at the most.

Re Idle v Innes: Neil Innes's death came shortly after Idle had quit Twitter https://twitter.com/ericidle/status/1199831877458116608?lang=en
Even if he had just rejoined I think he was only tweeting sporadically. I reckon he just didn't think a Twitter tribute felt right at the time.

He has said nice things about Neil on Twitter before and after.
Someone mentions Idle and The Rutles touring and he replies "It's just Neil Innes [...] he wrote the songs and they are wonderful so I don't make a big deal of it as he needs the money."
https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/764389289174110208

Someone praises Idle's musical expertise and he replies "The music in the Rutles was all by Neil Innes."
https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1128069588527112192

Just a couple of months ago: "the responsibility rests squarely with Neil Innes who wrote and recorded all those brilliant songs..."
https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1318647942983667720

Ta for that.

Menu

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 30, 2020, 05:56:47 PM
I'm surprised that they're all in their eighties, I thought it was just Cleese.

( Michael Palin and Eric Idle are both 77, and Terry Gilliam only just turned 80 last month, to be fair. T'others are dead, of course. So....erm....IN YOUR FACE, POIROTS! )

(except the Pythons you specifically pointed out the foibles of are both Gilliam and the 81 year old Cleese)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain- Easily The Worst  CABber?

You need to CATCH YOURSELF ON!

Rizla

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 30, 2020, 09:45:37 PM
The Rutles: All You Need is Cash contains one of the funniest jokes I have ever heard (written and delivered by Idle).

"I am standing outside Shea Stadium, named after the Cuban revolutionary leader, Shea Stadium."
I think the best line is Barry Wom saying "I'd like to be a hairdresser - or two. I'd like to be two hairdressers."

Quote from: Rizla on December 31, 2020, 03:45:54 AM
I think the best line is Barry Wom saying "I'd like to be a hairdresser - or two. I'd like to be two hairdressers."

That never fails to make me laugh, it's a perfect 'Ringo' line. And, as with so many Rutles moments, vaguely based on truth - Ringo did idly consider opening up some hairdressing salons if the Beatles bubble ever burst.

Pete23

Sorry to turn the Eric Idle hate thread into a load of Rutles quotes but the delivery on this makes me howl:

Interviewer: Some people say you've been staying away from Liverpool, and now you're famous.
Ron Nasty: Oh, we haven't been staying away so much as not coming here.
Interviewer: Uh, some people say it's six months since you came back here.
Ron Nasty: That's just the sort of thing some people would say.
Interviewer: No, it's been six months.
Ron Nasty: Now you're saying it, why don't you ask me where I've been?
Interviewer: Where have you been?
Ron Nasty: I'm not telling ya.

Tony Tony Tony

Calling someone the worst Python is akin to saying someone is the worlds poorest billionaire.

EDIT And I am not counting one of those places with hyper inflation where you take your money home in a wheelbarrow.

bgmnts

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on December 30, 2020, 07:43:02 PM
People like to project this Beatle-esque notion of four best friends conquering world onto the Pythons, they were all Cambridge twats at the end of the day and cultivated a rebellious image because of their proximity to the establishment.

By way of getting things back on track, while he's not my "favourite" Python I do consider Idle the funniest. That said he's a massive money grubbing cunt and I hope he drowns in a slurry pit. I'd bet the other Pythons would say the same.

Well, only three of them went to Cambridge. Palin and Jones went to Oxford and Gilliam is an American.

Happy to be corrected as I am far from an aficionado. From the admittedly little I have read about their early days I did get the impression that a lot of their success came from their association with the footlights etc.

As we were having fun with the Beatles analogy I think maybe the Stones or Pink Floyd would be a better comparison. Talented mercenaries who came together at the right time to create something far greater than the sum of its parts.

druss

Michael Palin is nice. A friend of mine bumped into him, literally, and said "You're Michael Palin!" and he said "Yes. Hello.".

Solid bloke.