Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,497
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:46:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eric Idle- Easily The Worst Python?

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, December 30, 2020, 11:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: druss on December 31, 2020, 09:52:45 PM
Michael Palin is nice. A friend of mine bumped into him, literally, and said "You're Michael Palin!" and he said "Yes. Hello.".

Solid bloke.

Sounds a bit passive-aggressive if you ask me. What a cunt.

Replies From View

But I'll tell you one thing Michael Palin said to me: "Who are you?"  Just like that.  And I thought that made Michael Palin a wonderful human being.

Menu

Quote from: Replies From View on January 01, 2021, 09:49:42 AM
But I'll tell you one thing Michael Palin said to me: "Who are you?"  Just like that.  And I thought that made Michael Palin a wonderful human being.

What a lovely gesture.

Jockice

No matter what crimes Eric Idle has committed he gets a lifetime free pass from me for the travel agent sketch, especially the Hollywood Bowl performance. The very first thing that comes up on google and youtube when I put the words 'Monty Python' in.

Retinend

MortSahlFan

Some of you should become federal judges... So Puritanical. Just begging to be offended, riding some shitty bandwagon. Trendy.

Eric is the best Python.

Retinend

OP wasn't saying Idle was cancelled. He isn't being cancelled. That's not trending...  🤔💭 ... If it's anyone then it's Cleese who is cancelled, though wasn't through CaB.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: MortSahlFan on January 01, 2021, 01:20:39 PM
Some of you should become federal judges... So Puritanical. Just begging to be offended, riding some shitty bandwagon. Trendy.

Eric is the best Python.

First contender for overreaction of the year. Strong start, sets the bar nice and high.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: markburgle on December 30, 2020, 11:58:08 AM
All valid points by the OP, but if you were to pick one of the original 6 to disappear and still hope to have the remaining 5 do great stuff, I think Gilliam would have to be the one.

He may be a much superior artist and a nicer chap than Idle, but as a performer he sucked

Gilliam was surprisingly good in the live show though. Easily the best physical performer of the night. The word 'gusto' springs to mind.

I think Idle did a good fist of the reunion shows. He knew they had to be bold because they were playing an arena and audiences expect more these days. It would have been better if they'd done more shows at Drury Lane but I think they'd have all been dead by the end of the run. Cleese's voice was already shot to pieces by the time I saw it.

Glebe

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 01, 2021, 03:19:04 PMGilliam was surprisingly good in the live show though. Easily the best physical performer of the night. The word 'gusto' springs to mind.

Yeah, hats off for Gilliam for showing willing and enthusiasm.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: MortSahlFan on January 01, 2021, 01:20:39 PM

Eric is the best Python.

Was toying with posting that Idle tends to be Americans' "favorite", but the above post beat me to it.

Revelator

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 01, 2021, 03:19:04 PM
I think Idle did a good fist of the reunion shows. He knew they had to be bold because they were playing an arena and audiences expect more these days.

There are various things I could quibble with (overlong production numbers, using a bowdlerized "I Like Chinese" to close the first half), but the shows were an honorable effort and included several sketches new to the stage. I have a feeling they could have put on a show solely consisting of unused material from the various drafts of what became The Meaning of Life, but (a) no one felt like rummaging around in the archives and (b) they felt fans wanted the "greatest hits."

The last solo Idle project I fully enjoyed was Pass the Butler...which dates back to 1982. For whatever reason his projects afterward have lacked sharpness. His memoir was a quick, fluid read but didn't leave you feeling you knew its author any better than before.

druss

Quote from: Replies From View on January 01, 2021, 09:49:42 AM
That sounds like the Michael Palin I know (via my friend). A truly lovely man.

Menu

Quote from: druss on January 02, 2021, 06:42:15 AM
That sounds like the Michael Palin I know (via my friend). A truly lovely man.

What a lovely gesture.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

He comes across as a vacuous thundercunt in his autobiography. Just page after page of "So we were spending some time in Costa Rica on George Harrison's yacht with David Bowie and Iman, when who should turn up out of the blue but Steve Martin, clutching his banjo!"

Get fucked, Eric.

McChesney Duntz

I will say that Eric seems very friendly and grateful to his fans on Twitter, which isn't nothing.

peanutbutter

Eric Idle's biggest offence is the One Foot in the Grave theme song, gotta be a huge part of why people misremember it as some load of dated old bollocks. Utterly insufferable to sit through when watching episodes back to back too.

thenoise

Also the punchline to one of the episodes (perhaps the 'bottle' episode of them all in a traffic jam?) is another Eric Idle jolly comic song via their cassette deck. We are supposed to assume that the garage mechanics have composed a comic ditty about what a moaning old codger our hero is and recorded a comic ditty for him. But Eric Idle's voice is so instantly recognisable its impossible to overcome disbelief.