Author Topic: Sound of Metal (Riz Ahmed - 2020/21)  (Read 1591 times)

Vitalstatistix

• Photocopies are not admissable as memories
Sound of Metal (Riz Ahmed - 2020/21)
« on: December 30, 2020, 03:03:08 PM »
The sound design and Riz Ahmed's performance in this film are both phenomenal.

Some sequences are the most physically uncomfortable and anxious I've felt whilst watching a film in a long while. Oh, that's meant to be a compliment.

Would link to a trailer or summarise the story but who am I fucking Peter Bradshaw just watch the fucker. It's a drama there you go.

non capisco

• Don't wanna hear those vile trumpets anymore
Re: Sound of Metal (Riz Ahmed - 2020/21)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 03:20:46 PM »
Agreed, hugely affecting film with a stunning final scene, the best film I saw this year that wasn't Parasite or Lover's Rock. Riz Ahmed is amazing, as is Paul Raci who plays his counsellor, an actor I don't think I've seen in anything before this.

Expect earplug sales to soar if this reaches a wider audience!

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 03:24:04 PM »
A friend mentioned this one, hadn't heard of it. Probably wouldn't have bothered with it going by the trailer but will definitely check it out based on the very positive reviews.

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 03:53:09 AM »
Was definitely in my Top 5 films of 2020. Riz is awesome, the gig scenes are very well done and, as an avid concert-goer, it was genuinely unnerving and frightening to watch at times.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
Damn, thought this was close to being really good but fucked it up. The scenes toward the end were way too rushed and i didn't understand the motivations of the 2 main characters at all. The band scenes at the start didn't quite work either, sounded like 2 amateurs banging away without much coordination and hardly the stuff of a successful touring band. Shame because the sound design and performances were very good.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 07:53:25 PM »
Got a soundbar and subwoofer a bit ago, this was the first film I watched with it, fucking fantastic choice!

That being said there was something off about the film, it seemed like a film that should be the length it was, and it seemed to hit the narrative notes, and Riz Ahmed was great, but there was something hugely lacking in how it all built. Felt like it dragged on forever.

Tags: