Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:15:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Years Eve Party People!

Started by DrGreggles, December 30, 2020, 06:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

After 5 seconds of the Paddy McGuiness nye promo I'll be anywhere except BBC1

imitationleather

I saw a (less impressive, but still good) drone display in Newcastle a couple o' years back.

These things should replace firework displays. Just so much better, and they don't make my cats shit their kitty knickers.

None of the usual Scottish new year traditions are practical this year, so I'm not going to be able to nail shortbread to my front door, throw a lump of coal through my neighbour's window, or recite the poetry of Gordon Burns in a public place.

Probably just going to have to go out for a crunch around in the snow, then watch TV and drink beer.

I DON'T SEE A LOT OF NEW YEAR IN THE VILLAGE[nb]I don't live in a village.[/nb]

steve98

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 30, 2020, 11:58:43 PM
None of the usual shit Scottish new year traditions are practical this year,

You've got Andy Stewart on the YouTube, ken? On the computer? Ye canny beat a bit ae Andy at Hogmany. Ah'd watch him even if there wiz nae Covid.

Marner and Me

Anything but the Hootenany. Most likely be on Fortnite.

non capisco

On a Zoom call with the people I usually pal around with on New Year's Eve. Instead of fond hugs goodbye and sprinting up the road to get the last tram back from Croydon it'll be logging off to find myself abruptly alone looking at a load of empty cans in front of me, deciding "I'll put them in the bin in the morning" and flopping into bed. Pros and cons of the raw new plague age.

Blinder Data

hopefully either in hospital with a baby imminent or safe at home with baby freshly delivered.

latent labour is terrifying, seemingly endless. only so many times you can say "of course you can do it, love".

idunnosomename

its new years eve now. happy new year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Birdie

Quote from: pancreas on December 30, 2020, 08:21:34 PM
Gecko and I have bubbled a stray gay and we're having it over for Ottolenghi celeriac steaks.

You've turned him into a Canadian crooner?

Buelligan

Quote from: Blinder Data on December 31, 2020, 12:51:01 AM
hopefully either in hospital with a baby imminent or safe at home with baby freshly delivered.

latent labour is terrifying, seemingly endless. only so many times you can say "of course you can do it, love".

Quote from: steve98 on December 31, 2020, 01:13:04 AM

Jockice

Was meant to be going to my girlfriend's but her area's just been moved into tier four, so whether that happens remains to be seen.

But more importantly, I'm one of the DJs for a lockdown disco organised by a couple of mates. They did one a couple of months ago and we got five songs* but this time got half an hour. I decided to stick to short, catchy stuff, and also gave the aforementioned my chick and my sister some choices. And here !EXCLUSIVELY! is my playlist. It goes five seconds over the allotted 30 minutes. But it's not bad. Even though, I'd like to reiterate, four of these songs are not my choices. And one is my choice but by a certain person's favourite band (it's their shortest single) See if you can guess which songs aren't mine. That's the problem with democracy. You let women get involved and it all goes tits up.

Private number, William Bell and Judy Clay. 2.33.
Gaudete, Steeleye Span 2.43
A Glass Of Champagne, Sailor. 2.31
Come Back My Love, Darts. 2.30.
Take Me I'm Yours, Squeeze 2.40
Masquerade, Skids. 2.22.
Too Much Too Young, Specials. 2.04
You Trip Me Up, Mary Chain. 2.26.
Ship Of Fools, Erasure. 4.03
To Win Just Once, Saw Doctors, 3.17.
Outro, M83. 4.08.

These are in chronological order although I believe like last time, all the songs will be mixed up, so I don't know at what part of the evening they'll appear. All part of the fun.

(*These were Get Over You by The Undertones, Our Lips Are Sealed by Fun Boy Three, What Presence by Orange Juice, See My Baby Jive by Wizzard and Just Like Everybody by 23 Skidoo. The last of these didn't go down too well. I was surprised. It's a party classic.)

Icehaven

Trying very hard to not start drinking too early so I'm conscious for midnight. Reckon if I can get to about 7pm before imbibing I might just make it, but we'll see. Even if things were normal I dunno what we'd have done since our favourite pub shut down last January and our local is a bit crap, so we'd probably just have had a couple of friends over instead, but as it is it'll just be myself, Mr. H and Jools (probably for about 5 minutes until we realise we don't like or have never heard of everyone on it and turn over.)

Edit; Just looked it up to see who's on, and it starts at 11.15 and goes on for two hours!? Who the fuck is going to sit through another hour and a quarter after midnight? I'm sure it usually starts at about 11 and finishes shortly after 12, doesn't it?

Paul Calf

Quote from: steve98 on December 30, 2020, 10:13:14 PM
There's no Edinburgh party tomorrow, so they've made this vid featuring about a hundred drones, dancing in the highland sky. It's fantastic, I'm gettin' quite emotional watching it (especially the beating heart at the end). No idea this sort of thing was even possible.

There's a Part 2 and the 3rd part will be shown live tomorrow night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV4jNWZlmEU

Quote from: steve98 on December 30, 2020, 11:50:01 PM
Yeah it's real.
Imagine if you were camping up near Ft William (where they filmed it), and you knew nothing about this, and suddenly a huge stag starts running across the sky - mind blown.

"Hey lads! Let's go up into the Highlands and do some acid and eckies this weekend!"

Head Gardener

a visually stimulating way to see in NYE

Head Gardener

Glebe

non capisco

Despite knowing full well what he looks like if I try to picture Jools Holland in my mind for some reason I can only ever conjure up Rigsby from Rising Damp.

Ray Travez

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 30, 2020, 08:25:05 PM
new years what

Heheh!

Ring out the old, ring in some more of the same old shit

GMTV

For viewers in Scotland it's one last gruelling endurance through the final Only An Excuse?

Buelligan

Quote from: non capisco on December 31, 2020, 12:58:27 PM
Despite knowing full well what he looks like if I try to picture Jools Holland in my mind for some reason I can only ever conjure up Rigsby from Rising Damp.

But he is like Rigsby. 

Like Rigsby and Cliffy got married and had a tiny baby.

steve98

Quote from: GMTV on December 31, 2020, 01:32:10 PM
For viewers in Scotland it's one last gruelling endurance through the final Only An Excuse?

Haha yeah. Good riddance to that shit.

Hundhoon

fucking 2020 i swear to god, it can fucking come and eat my arse.

justin_bennett

Off to Optimo in the flat. If it was on for real I probably wouldn't bother due to being an old cunt (plus taxi grief) but can't complain for £9.30.  Got a large sack of powdered shrooms to see in 2021 as well.  Will no doubt be on the Zoom with the usual Hogmanay suspects for a wee while around midnight but after that all bets are off...

canadagoose

Quote from: GMTV on December 31, 2020, 01:32:10 PM
Oh, wonderful. I usually switch over to something else because it's all just "fitba stuff" to me.

Not sure what to watch. I won't be alone this year, so I'll have to see what K reckons. I wonder what special variety of dogshit BBC Scotland has cooked up for us at the bells.

steve98

I couldn't get Andy Stewart (he's booked), but I found a Nat King Cole impersonator who's free, and isn't too expensive.

It seems however he wears blackface, and now I'm having second thoughts: Is it acceptable to hire a NKC impersonator in blackface for a Hogmanay party? It'll only be me and neighbour Derek at the party, and we won't be offended (or angry or disgusted or whatever you're meant to be).

Let me add that this tribute-act guy (who is someone who isn't me) has been doing his act for about 20 years, long before blackin'-up became not acceptable.

Also, what would be a good name for a Nat King Cole Tribute act? (Apart from "Not King Cole".) Note that "Nat King Cole" is plebeian slang for "Hole" (Meaning intercourse), in Glasgow.

Icehaven

Quote from: steve98 on December 31, 2020, 03:40:44 PM
Also, what would be a good name for a Nat King Cole Tribute act? (Apart from "Not King Cole".) Note that "Nat King Cole" is plebeian slang for "Hole" (Meaning intercourse), in Glasgow.

Nat King Role, because he's playing the role of Nat King Cole.
Nat Sings Cole, because he's called Nat and he's singing the songs of Nat King Cole.
Fat King Cole, if he's overweight (this has precedence, there really is a Take Fat featuring Blobbie Williams.)
Nat Spring Roll, if he's of Chinese ethnicity.
Nat Sings Dole, a fusion tribute that does UB40 songs in the style of Nat King Cole.

steve98

These are all good. (Though I suspect not good enough: this guy will only settle for the best).

Looking at them individualy -

Nat King Role - the audience would hear this as king-roll: a big bread-roll. No good
He's not called "Nat"
He's not overweight.
He's not Chinese.
He hates UB40 (fucking can't stand them).

So, none of them are any good.

non capisco

Gnatkin Cole, a furry who's into gnats.