Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,472
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lethal Finale

Started by Operty1, December 31, 2020, 12:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operty1

Lethal Weapon 5 now confirmed to be in development with 90 year old Richard Donner to direct.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Butchers Blind

Phil_A

I thought it was amazing just how bad a film LW4 was when I saw it again for the first time in many years recently (I'd not seen it since the original cinema release). It's a total mess.

The franchise as a whole has long been case of diminishing returns in any case, there was little worth in the second and third ones, let alone a fourth. The fact Donner is willing to go back to it now is just baffling. The well's not only dry, it's been filled in with concrete.

QuoteThe franchise was revived for a television series between 2016 and 2019, starring Clayne Crawford and Damon Wayans as Riggs and Murtaugh respectively.

Wait, what?? This ran for three years and I've never heard it mentioned even once.

Shaky

It's long been mentioned but Murtagh turned 50 in 1987. How the shit would he still be a cop?

El Unicornio, mang

Considering the size of a lot of American cops, I don't imagine age being that much of a problem. My Mum could run faster than some of those guys.

dissolute ocelot

Digitally simulated Mel Gibson provokes a race riot and is tortured by Danny Glover for 2 hours before being crucified. Jews are somehow responsible?

Shaky

Maybe we'll get a tedious passing of the badge with Roge advising the young un's from the toilet.

As pointed out further upthread, the fucking sax stings and fast banter got old as early as the first sequel.

Keebleman

I saw the first one when it came out and thought it was rubbish then.  I'd been expecting a tough, meaty cop drama along the lines of French Connection, but instead it was TJ Hooker with added violence.

kalowski

I hope it's Riggs and Murtagh's kids.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Keebleman on January 02, 2021, 10:18:16 AM
I saw the first one when it came out and thought it was rubbish then.  I'd been expecting a tough, meaty cop drama along the lines of French Connection, but instead it was TJ Hooker with added violence.
I thought the first one was pretty good; not up to the standards of some 80s cop movies (Die Hard, To Live Or Die In LA, Manhunter, Untouchables, Midnight Run, Robocop, Tango And Cash, etc), but some funny bits and a decent plot moving at a good pace to a climax that isn't totally ridiculous, and Gibson's character is surprisingly dark for a buddy cop thing. Very much of a piece with Beverly Hills Cop, 48 Hours, etc. LW2 was a hilariously awful attempt to defeat the evils of apartheid, and after that fuck knows what was going on. It would be nice if a new film returned to the subject matter of Gibson's mental health, but sadly it's much more likely to feature a scene on a toilet.

Sebastian Cobb

Hope Pesci comes back for an aged Leo Getz.

Brundle-Fly

Operty1

I hope there are some throwbacks to the other films...

Something to do with a toilet...being too old...erm... all the other things that the originals are famous for.

Pasting this from an article on 'E':

Talking to The Telegraph (though much of the article is locked behind a paywall), Donner seemed positive about the idea, despite the hurdles such as the problematic position of Mel Gibson, the continuing global pandemic and the age of all involved, with Donner likely to be 91 when he shouts action. "This is the final one," Donner says. "It's both my privilege and duty to put it to bed. It's exciting, actually..."

Put it to bed? Donner has apparently wanted to make this for years, I imagine at best, a 2 star movie. There can't be many people thinking...finally...we get to find out what happens after Lethal Weapon 4.

Did that movie end on some kind of cliff hanger?

dissolute ocelot

I defy even Richard Donner to remember the plot of LW4.

El Unicornio, mang

The scene where Glover's whole family comes in to wish him happy birthday while he's in the bath always freaked me out. Also, his "16-year old" daughter was actually 27, only 4 years younger than Mel Gibson.

Operty1

The scene where Gibson sees Glover's daughter being attacked and beats the guy up, only for it to be revealed they are acting on a film set is so stupid it wouldn't be in a Police Academy movie.

He is playing a veteran police detective for fucks sake.

Keebleman

Donner was on the Gilbert Gottfried podcast a couple of years ago and he certainly sounded ok.

https://www.gilbertpodcast.com/richard-donner/

His movie career didn't get going until he was well into his 40s (after years on TV, including The Banana Splits!) so maybe movie directors are guaranteed fifty years of activity.  Would explain why Coppola has stopped.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Brundle-Fly

Maybe when Murtaugh jumps off the building in the first movie he actually lands headfirst on the crash mat and this put him into a coma since 1987. He is revived in this new sequel and everything that happened in the subsequent films has been in 
his dreams all this time. Even Patsy Kensit, He also believes himself to be Sir William Wallace now.

Johnny Textface

Hopefully this will be set in a care home where Riggs and Murtagh need to solve a crime involving stolen biscuits.

Phil_A

QuoteDanny explained how he had seen a version of the script for the flick and hinted that it is "relevant" to current events.

The 74-year-old star said: "There has been a conversation about that in January. I don't want to give away the plot on the script I read, but I found the plot had very strong relevance to some of the things that are happening today. I can say that."

Oh fuck, they're gonna try and do Black Lives Matter, aren't they. With Mel "raped by a pack of n1ggers" Gibson.

kalowski

Quote from: Phil_A on January 03, 2021, 07:19:01 PM
Oh fuck, they're gonna try and do Black Lives Matter, aren't they. With Mel "raped by a pack of n1ggers" Gibson.
Murtagh on a ventilator, Riggs destroying 5G ariels.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Phil_A on December 31, 2020, 02:16:35 PMWait, what?? This ran for three years and I've never heard it mentioned even once.
I'm not sure it ever got much attention over here - the sort of thing that was on ITV2 at 11pm on Tuesday night, or otherwise found on some obscure channel like 'CBS Action'.

Out of boredom, I did watch the first episode a few weeks ago and it was fine, I suppose.

Operty1

Maybe the plot is that Riggs gets out of his depth with SJWs, then gets cancelled on the socials, his address is then published online and he ends up taking his own life in the face of hysterical public opinion.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 03, 2021, 08:11:15 PM
I'm not sure it ever got much attention over here - the sort of thing that was on ITV2 at 11pm on Tuesday night, or otherwise found on some obscure channel like 'CBS Action'.

Out of boredom, I did watch the first episode a few weeks ago and it was fine, I suppose.

I think it was on ITV as it was being aired on STV, but unusually they didn't have catch-up rights for it, so even fewer people (in Scotland at least) saw it.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 04, 2021, 06:35:59 AM
I think it was on ITV as it was being aired on STV, but unusually they didn't have catch-up rights for it, so even fewer people (in Scotland at least) saw it.

Think one of the lead actors got into trouble regarding some off camera behaviour and was sacked.

Bad Ambassador

It was on ITV in a rare prime-time slot. The actor who played Riggs got sacked and replaced with Stifler.