Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:37:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Patronising BBC Brexit shitheels

Started by Paul Calf, December 31, 2020, 09:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Still think Brexit is a death cult, an idiotic act of self-harm that will only really benefit ultra-wealthy psychopaths? The BBC has some advice for you: stop being such a recalcitrant child who won't accept the discipline of your betters!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55348994

You rage, you lose.

QuoteFor Andrea Balboni, a couples therapist at Zoe Clews and Associates in London, it is like one of those divorces where one child is relieved by the split, while the other felt it was so much better when we were all together.

QuoteFor some Remainers, therapists have compared the process of leaving the EU to the emotional stages of loss - beginning with denial, and then anger, sadness, bargaining, until finally they reach acceptance.
It's a process many Remainers may experience even now, four years on from the referendum vote as the transition period ends.
"Burying your head in the sand, hoping it's not true," says Mr Wilkie. "That's an instinctive response to hearing something you don't like."
Person trying to press rewind on an image of Europe
Some people hoped that, despite the vote, Brexit could be cancelled.
"It's about still being stuck in it emotionally, even though the relationship is over," psychotherapist and author Hilda Burke says. It's natural, but the key is to be aware of your feelings and just be kind to yourself, she adds.
Anger is definitely an issue for many - and there has been a lot of it over politics in the last four years, notes Mr Wilkie, who warns anger can resurface and potentially go on for many years.
And while the experts agree that it can be cathartic to express those feelings, it's also unlikely to resolve your issues with the other side.

So, there you go. Opposing Brexit is now officially a psychological illness according to the state's official propaganda organ.

DoesNotFollow

Buelligan

The odd thing is, they appear to understand it only as a theoretical conceit.  Not something that will radically change the lived reality of real actual human lives.  Let alone their own.  They imagine they're immune.  Why was it important if that's all it really was?  What will happen when reality bites?

I suspect that these people are the same people who speak about their trials during the pandemic in terms of builders not finishing their extensions on time[nb] https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/dec/29/crammed-tiny-one-bed-flat-realised-i-loved-my-home[/nb].  The privation of a damaged 12" vinyl or the lack of fresh coriander in Waitrose. 

They say pride runs before a fall, I'm in the cheap seats, no popcorn but happy to wait.

Pingers

It is a trite piece of witless journalism, but let's be clear that having experiences of loss is not a psychological illness in any way. I can't imagine anyone actually going through the stages of bereavement in regard to Brexit mind, although for families who are split across Europe it's going to be hard.

Buelligan

It's been worrying the fuck out of me.  Literally overshadowing everything.  Next month I have to try to get a carte de sejour, it should be fine.  What if it isn't.  What if it isn't.

If it isn't, I really will not have anything left to lose and I'm guessing I won't be alone in that predicament.  If that happens, why the fuck should people like me go off and die in a corner quietly?

Is that a mentally-ill thing to consider?

Pingers

Quote from: Buelligan on December 31, 2020, 09:55:45 AM
The odd thing is, they appear to understand it only as a theoretical conceit.  Not something that will radically changed the lived reality of real actual human lives.  Let alone their own.  They imagine they're immune.  Why was it important if that's all it really was?  What will happen when reality bites?

I suspect that these people are the same people who speak about their trials during the pandemic in terms of builders not finishing their extensions on time[nb] https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/dec/29/crammed-tiny-one-bed-flat-realised-i-loved-my-home[/nb].  The privation of a damaged 12" vinyl or the lack of fresh coriander in Waitrose. 

They say pride runs before a fall, I'm in the cheap seats, no popcorn but happy to wait.

I just read that article. Peak fucking Guardian. How about sharing a room with your family in shitty temporary accommodation for 2 years, next door to drug dealers and people who scream all night, waiting to be housed, eh? EH MICHAEL?? Maybe should have given the column inches to those people eh? Maybe should have encouraged people to vote FOR a party that wanted to make that a thing of the past YOU CUNTS.

Zetetic

Quote from: Pingers on December 31, 2020, 09:57:13 AM
having experiences of loss is not a psychological illness in any way.
Not per se, no. Practically, it probably depends on how long they go for, whether you experience them as disabling, and whether you can do anything about the cause of the experience (which you can't).

Edit: Obligatory mention of "sluggish schizophrenia", which is interesting to consider both as something probably applied entirely earnestly in some cases and also as calculating response of agents of an authoritarian state.

Zetetic

I think probably the "Dealing with... feeling rejected " bit of the article is the most obnoxious.

For some it was not just coming to terms that they'd misunderstood this country and what its people thought of people like them for half-a-century, but the more material fear that they might be subjected to the some of the things that their parents were (and those things were sometimes why they were in Britain themselves). Whether you think that's misplaced or not.

Zetetic

jobotic

Board legend Biggy regularly accused me and others of having Brexit Derangement Syndrome.

Not agreeing with the far-right is mental illness. Either that or virtue signalling. No other options.

Kankurette

Brexit does not compare to how I felt when my dad died, but it fucking sucks and being worried or annoyed about it does not make you mentally ill.

Jobotic, the whole 'liberalism is a mental disease' thing is beyond disgusting but then I don't expect conservatives to have any regard for mentally ill peopld, they think we should either suck it up and stop being snowflakes, or be locked up.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Kankurette on December 31, 2020, 10:25:42 AM
Brexit does not compare to how I felt when my dad died, but it fucking sucks and being worried or annoyed about it does not make you mentally ill.

Jobotic, the whole 'liberalism is a mental disease' thing is beyond disgusting but then I don't expect conservatives to have any regard for mentally ill peopld, they think we should either suck it up and stop being snowflakes, or be locked up.

It is a trite piece of witless journalism, but let's be clear that having experiences of loss is not a psychological illness in any way. I can't imagine anyone actually going through the stages of bereavement in regard to Brexit mind, although for families who are split across Europe it's going to be hard.

It absolutely isn't mental illness, but the way the BBC have presented it definitely colours it as such.

Ray Travez

I can't imagine anyone actually going through the stages of bereavement in regard to Brexit

I absolutely did, in 2016. Actually posted jokingly about it back then, but the loss is real, and some of the feelings remain.

Paul Calf

Yes. People aren't 'emotionally attached'. They're angry because they've lost things of real value, traded in by people who've received nothing in return but lies and empty platitudes. 

idunnosomename

It is a trite piece of witless journalism, but let's be clear that having experiences of loss is not a psychological illness in any way. I can't imagine anyone actually going through the stages of bereavement in regard to Brexit mind

well I can't because most of the FBPE CHUK-TINGE wankers skipped depression and went right onto acceptance of their new job in PR