Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Question for Universal Credit types

Started by privatefriend, December 31, 2020, 12:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

privatefriend

Scroungers etc.

Are you being told/forced to actively look for work during covid?

I'm trying to gauge what is normal. At the start of lockdown they closed the job centres and I've only had a couple of brief phone chats with my advisor (they have clearly been swamped with new claimants). I explained that as I had asthma I was reluctant to look for work and put my health at risk, would rather wait and see how things developed. This seemed to be fine until I spoke to some new advisor recently who had the opposite tone and was saying I need to be looking for work as normal or get a doctor's note.

I can see both sides of it to some extent, lots of people are working during the pandemic. But there are fuck all jobs to apply for at the moment anyway.

Icehaven

Do these advisors actually advise what kind of jobs you could/should apply for or just blankly tell you to apply for anything? Obviously it depends on your work background etc. but with the normally enormous employment industries of retail and hospitality not only not expanding but frequently shrinking at a rapid rate there's not a fraction of the casual/temporary jobs there used to be. Maybe they'll advise people apply to become unemployment advisors.

privatefriend

I think for most people they steer you into very broad categories of potential work. They have very little to offer you either way, it's just about being seen to be actively looking whatever that means.

imitationleather

Get off the benefits treadmill by selling drugs on the darknet.

Junket Pumper

Quote from: privatefriend on December 31, 2020, 12:43:18 PM
Scroungers etc.

Are you being told/forced to actively look for work during covid?

I'm trying to gauge what is normal. At the start of lockdown they closed the job centres and I've only had a couple of brief phone chats with my advisor (they have clearly been swamped with new claimants). I explained that as I had asthma I was reluctant to look for work and put my health at risk, would rather wait and see how things developed. This seemed to be fine until I spoke to some new advisor recently who had the opposite tone and was saying I need to be looking for work as normal or get a doctor's note.

I can see both sides of it to some extent, lots of people are working during the pandemic. But there are fuck all jobs to apply for at the moment anyway.

Just lie and say you're applying for jobs. Don't try to be reasonable with such an oppressively bureaucratic system

C_Larence

Signed on in October I think. Had one conversation with an advisor who said he'd put me down for a zoom conference about interview techniques. Haven't heard back from them since, which suits me just fine. On my Journal or Log or whatever it's called, I put maybe three entries a month, sporadically (though usually I spread them out around just before I'm meant to get paid, just in case) that basically say "thought about getting a job" or "went for a walk, looked for help wanted signs". Haven't had any issues with getting my money thus far. Agree completely with the post above mine.

privatefriend

Quote from: Junket Pumper on January 02, 2021, 07:44:08 PM
Just lie and say you're applying for jobs. Don't try to be reasonable with such an oppressively bureaucratic system

This is absolutely my new plan. It also happened to be my old pre-covid plan too.

The Mollusk

I applied for it last November when I was made redundant. Didn't expect fuck all from it since I had to do a joint application with my partner whose salary is tidy so was pleasantly surprised to get approved and paid with no notification from them. Even more surprising is they've not requested any proof I'm looking for work whatsoever. They've just been like "yeah mate have money" and that's it. I expect they're swamped and maybe I've slipped off their radar but I'm certainly not complaining.

bgmnts

I wasnt from March til December but now I am. Unsure why really as its been even more barren for me than usual.

Dusty Substance

I was on Universal Credit for over two years (had a break and then re-claimed late last year) and it was absolutely fine. Not the kind of inhuman treatment as seen in I, Daniel Blake. Just look for work and keep the journal up to date. Hope you find a job you like. 

canadagoose

The UC lot seem to be like "arsed, mate" lately with a lot of things. I feel like I had quite an easy ride compared to some people.

Malcy

Currently getting phone appointments every 2-3 weeks. During the first lockdown you didn't have to be looking for work which i didn't know until I had my phone appointment to do my commitments again. I was still looking anyway so even if I had known it wouldn't have made a difference.

Have my next appointment during the week so don't know what will be said. I had a fairly rough couple of months before Xmas and was told that if I wasn't able to do my job search due to issues or stress that I would need a doctor's note which is fair enough I suppose. I didn't get one though.

bgmnts

Quote from: Malcy on January 10, 2021, 03:09:19 PM
Currently getting phone appointments every 2-3 weeks. During the first lockdown you didn't have to be looking for work which i didn't know until I had my phone appointment to do my commitments again. I was still looking anyway so even if I had known it wouldn't have made a difference.

Have my next appointment during the week so don't know what will be said. I had a fairly rough couple of months before Xmas and was told that if I wasn't able to do my job search due to issues or stress that I would need a doctor's note which is fair enough I suppose. I didn't get one though.

I had mine last week and he couldn't get me off the phone quick enough. Get the feeling they are a bit all over the place, so aren't arsed much.

Malcy

Half heard something on the news about a vote, I think tomorrow, to cut the extra from UC that has been going since last year. Knowing the tories it will be cut.

Edit - Apparently a one-off £500 payment is being considered but being shot down as a 'terrible idea' which it really is.

https://news.sky.com/story/replacing-universal-credit-increase-with-one-off-payment-of-500-a-terrible-idea-labour-says-12190548

bgmnts

How the fuck did Starmer allow Labour to speak out against a shit Tory idea?

Malcy

The cut was opposed with a majority vote of 278 to 0. Apparently non-binding though so doesn't really mean anything from what I've read. So what was the point?