Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MF Doom MF Dead :(

Started by madhair60, December 31, 2020, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

QuoteBegin all things by giving thanks to THE ALL!

To Dumile

The greatest husband, father, teacher, student, business partner, lover and friend I could ever ask for. Thank you for all the things you have shown, taught and given to me, our children and our family. Thank you for teaching me how to forgive beings and give another chance, not to be so quick to judge and write off. Thank you for showing how not to be afraid to love and be the best person I could ever be. My world will never be the same without you. Words will never express what you and Malachi mean to me, I love both and adore you always. May THE ALL continue to bless you, our family and the planet.

All my Love
Jasmine

Transitioned October 31,2020

Urinal Cake

MF Too Soon

RIP. I didn't realise he was that old.

peanutbutter

he died in october? how did they keep a lid on that in this day and age

imitationleather

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 31, 2020, 09:58:03 PM
he died in october? how did they keep a lid on that in this day and age

It implies they did a thorough check that it was the right one who died.

Pretty upset about this. I went to the first UK gig he did at the Roundhouse years back. It was ace.

Bernice

RIP DOOM. Guy wasn't exactly living a healthy lifestyle and he sounded increasingly off on records... Still, responsible for some of my favourite albums and, at his best, was as good as any before or since.

GoblinAhFuckScary

this fucking sucks. first death like this in ages that floored me a bit. rip villain

Non Stop Dancer

Can't believe it. Have to admit I didn't keep up with everything he did but the 2 KMD albums, Operation Doomsday, King Ghedora, Madvillian etc, absolute legend on the mic not to mention behind the boards.

Gamma Ray

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 31, 2020, 10:08:28 PM
this fucking sucks. first death like this in ages that floored me a bit. rip villain

Exactly how I feel. RIP Daniel Dumile.

Non Stop Dancer

Of all the rappers, his rhymes are the most likely to just pop into my head at any given time. So many quotables.

wooders1978

One of the best rappers and producers ever - gutted to hear this very sad news

Zero Gravitas

Hooked since Neil played Hoe Cakes on cab radio back in the day, ALL CAPS.

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on December 31, 2020, 11:01:17 PM
Of all the rappers, his rhymes are the most likely to just pop into my head at any given time. So many quotables.

https://youtu.be/Qe5Hfx1okZc?t=134

Dannyhood91

This is the third celebrity death I've ever shed real tears over. My mate just rang me and told me to sit down and tell me the news. I've been getting messages of people since the news came out. I've done a eulogy for him that I've put on Facebook that I'll share here

I know hero worship is in essence a fools endeavour because ultimately it's pointless but this has really caught me off guard. I never knew the guy personally and I'm not gonna even pretend to be grieving like those who were close to him or can I pretend to grieve like those I know personally who've lost someone truly close to them but I'm gonna try and put this down clearly and coherently.
I remember in 2004 a friend in school knew I was into hip hop and introduced me to a bunch of artists like Jurassic 5, The Roots and this weird guy called MF DOOM. I couldn't veal the barrier with DOOM for a good few weeks, I think Madvillain had just come out at this point so he was big in the underground press at this time. I wasn't a good student by any stretch of the imagination so as I was one to do I was listening to some DOOM on my mp3 in my maths lesson. I remember the exact song was Doomsday from the album Operation Doomsday, the line was "It's like me holding up the line at the kissing booth
I took her back to the truck, she was uncouth
Spittin' all out the sunroof, through her missing tooth" and it turned a switch in my mind that's been on ever since.

I rapidly became obsessed and Dangerdoom was one of the first CD's I ever got with my own money in 2005. I think the first thing I ever watched on YouTube was an MF DOOM music video and I think he's been a regular in my search bar every day or two just to see if anything knew has dropped.

Some who knew me in the 00's knew I was for some time writing bars and honestly it was DOOM that made me want to conquer the English language and do the things he did to it. I even recorded a track in 2009 that was basically DOOM lite but was too shy to do anything with it.

I'd have never have had curiosity to put pen to paper if not for him. I'd never have honed my craft of writing, something which at times was my only solace in my darkest moments throughout my life. Id never have been published. I'd have never written love letters and eulogies for family members who've passed. My passion for literature and passion to learn basically has its origins with DOOM.

I've made friends for the night and friends for life through shared love of DOOM. I've had a friend from college a few years ago say whenever he hears DOOM he thinks of me because of how much I played him. He's basically part of the furniture of who I am at this point. I've probably muttered his lyrics under my breathe while doing idle tasks by myself every day since I was a teenager.

One of the single most euphoric moments of my life was last year seeing Madlib last summer and being in a room full of people all singing along to Accordion.

2020 has been a twisted and evil year but to have the man with the mask turn out to be dead on the final day on the year of the mask makes me think the universe has a sick sense of humour. It's not been a great New Year's Eve spending it alone in my room during a pandemic but this news has made it even more difficult.

"On Doomsday!, ever since the womb 'til I'm back where my brother went, that's what my tomb will say."

idunnosomename

cheers for that Danny. I am not a rap fan at all but I do know MF Doom was good stuff and have come into contact with his stuff quite a bit over the last 20 years of internet (along with the other groups you mention)

49 though. older than I expected, but no age.

Mister Six

Just saw this. Hit me like a truck. Haven't been this shocked or moved by a celeb death since Robin Williams. 49, for fuck's sake. I had a new song from him on my Spotify releases list just this week!

Mister Six

Good words, Danny. Being a basic bitch, the first thing I heard of Doom's was on November Has Come, from the second Gorillaz album. From the first bar he had me - this crazy, gravelly voice, words tumbling over one another:

QuoteSlow it down some, no split, clown bum
Your gold hits sound dumb, hold it now, crown 'em
Where you found them at?
Got 'em 'round town, could've drowned in it
Would have floated, bloated, voted
Sugar-coated, loaded hip shooter
Draw for the poor, free coffee at the banks
Hit through the straw, none more for me, thanks
That blanks the raw, that dank sure stank lit
Sank past the pit for more hardcore prank spit
Crank it on blast, roll past Front Street
Blew the whole spot like some old ass with skunk meat
These kids is too fast, juiced off a junk treat
Who could get looser off a crunk or a funk beat?

I was captivated, but stupidly didn't follow up until the next year, when I found a copy of DangerDoom in my mate's car and asked if I could borrow it. Then I was off to the races, hoovering up all his stuff. A consistently enjoyable oddball rapper, and I took particular delight in discovering that he was, officially, British.

Given the state of this fucking year, I wonder if he knew he was on the way out and requested they save the announcement for the dying hours of 2020. If so, well played.

Off to that big banquet in the sky. So long, villain.

monkfromhavana

This is terribly, terribly shit. Mmm... Food, for me, is probably the greated hip-hop album of all time.

JaDanketies

Absolutely shit news. Impossible to overstate how important DOOM was to my developing music tastes. Madvilliany is one of the best and most influential hip hop albums of all time.

Can't believe he died on Halloween and they kept it quiet for two months. Classic DOOM.

Never got to see the man live. Best wordsmith the world has seen for a long time imo

The Mollusk

Heard the news 8 minutes to midnight last night and had to go off to the bathroom and sob my heart out for a few minutes so I could be composed enough to ring in the new year with my partner. I'm so utterly devastated.

As a rapper he was iconic but as a beat maker to me personally he was truly singularly wonderful and a monumental influence on me and how I saw what hip hop could be as a genre - cartoonish, freewheeling, so fucking cool and funny that it hurt your face grinning at what you were hearing. The haphazard playful style that he punched beats into the MPC over the sweetest loops, a serious ear for The Finest and what felt like an effortless talent.

The track "Monster Zero" where he uses loads of samples from King Ghidorah films to tell a story about a three-headed space lizard who produces beats for other MCs who are also space monsters will always dazzle me like the first time I heard it. What a concept! That album is definitely one of the best things he ever did, fucking awesome stuff.

wooders1978

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 01, 2021, 12:49:28 PM
Heard the news 8 minutes to midnight last night and had to go off to the bathroom and sob my heart out for a few minutes so I could be composed enough to ring in the new year with my partner. I'm so utterly devastated.

As a rapper he was iconic but as a beat maker to me personally he was truly singularly wonderful and a monumental influence on me and how I saw what hip hop could be as a genre - cartoonish, freewheeling, so fucking cool and funny that it hurt your face grinning at what you were hearing. The haphazard playful style that he punched beats into the MPC over the sweetest loops, a serious ear for The Finest and what felt like an effortless talent.

The track "Monster Zero" where he uses loads of samples from King Ghidorah films to tell a story about a three-headed space lizard who produces beats for other MCs who are also space monsters will always dazzle me like the first time I heard it. What a concept! That album is definitely one of the best things he ever did, fucking awesome stuff.

well said mollusc - Madvillainy was my "in" for his stuff, and is one of my top ten albums of all time, can't remember where I got the recommendation from but I am grateful to them & him for helping shape my music tastes and broaden my horizons massively.

Petey Pate

Must admit that I went off him a lot due to him sending imposters in to 'perform' at shows that he couldn't be bothered to attend. It's also a shame that his output slowed down after a really productive period in the early noughties. Looking at his discography there's not a lot after 2005 besides guest appearances, though I suppose after releasing 12(!) albums[nb]King Geedorah, two Viktor Vaughn albums, Madvillainy, Mm... Food, the Special Herbs and Blends volumes[/nb] in a two year period alone you can't blame him for taking a break.

I think my favourite stuff of his is still from the KMD period. Here's a really interesting article on the infamous Black Bastards album which Elektra records refused to release. Around the same time KMD were dropped from the label, one of the members (Subroc - Doom's brother) was hit by a car and killed. This is the origin story of how Zev Love X became MF Doom.

https://medium.com/cuepoint/check-the-technique-kmds-black-bastards-and-the-birth-of-mf-doom-1849f4c0a6f4

Also didn't realise that the name Doom was not just derived from the Marvel character but his real surname Dumile (DOOM-ee-lay).

R. I. P.  M. F.

buttgammon

It's amazing to see how much his music meant to so many people; I was surprised and delighted to see my timeline fill with people talking about him. He was just such an original.

popcorn

Major bummer. Never been a big hiphop guy but Madvillainy back in 2005 (?) was the first hiphop album I really loved.

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on December 31, 2020, 11:01:17 PM

Same.

Bernice

QuoteOnce sold an inbred skinhead a n***a joke
Plus a brand new chrome smoker with the triggers broke
I thought I told him "Firing pins was separate"
He'll find out later when he tries to go and rep it

Gregory Torso

Really shit news. Amazing lyricist and producer. RIP MF

Mister Six

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 01, 2021, 11:31:59 AM
Never got to see the man live.

Neither did some of the people who went to his shows, to be fair.

Brundle-Fly

Not really a massive hip-hop head but always found his output very innovative and really dug his persona and aesthetic.

R.I.P. indeed. 2020 delivers one last sucker punch before fucking off forever, Well done you.