Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:42:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

MF Doom MF Dead :(

Started by madhair60, December 31, 2020, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: Mister Six on January 01, 2021, 03:36:28 PM
Neither did some of the people who went to his shows, to be fair.

Yeah that DOOMposter stuff was weird

PaulTMA

Mr_Simnock

Well this has actually made me feel a bit sad for a while. I only heard this track a couple years ago after someone popped it into the 'what are you listening to at the moment' thread and it's pretty much all I know but I love it soo much though. :(

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 01, 2021, 04:32:48 PM
Well this has actually made me feel a bit sad for a while. I only heard this track a couple years ago after someone popped it into the 'what are you listening to at the moment' thread and it's pretty much all I know but I love it soo much though. :(

AKA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yve5AaFB9Ak or (((99.99999%))) when he finally used it with MC Paul Barman.

Don't I recall hearing that most of the herbs stuff predates the Doom persona and were from his brother's collection?

The Mollusk

Styrax Gum is one of my favourite Metal Fingers beats. Delicious.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on January 01, 2021, 05:48:01 PMDon't I recall hearing that most of the herbs stuff predates the Doom persona and were from his brother's collection?

That would make sense. There is a whole volume devoted to KMD era instrumentals. Seems likely that he spent his time in the wilderness between Black Bastards and Operation Doomsday just making beats and putting out the occasional single.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: peanutbutter on December 31, 2020, 09:58:03 PM
he died in october? how did they keep a lid on that in this day and age

So he could do his shows in November? (sorry, bad joke based on the imposter concerts someone else already mentioned)

But fuck, loved him since Gas Face/KMD days, been so damn consistently good.

king_tubby

Shit news, this. Listened to the DangerDoom record so much.

Here's a story from a mate of a mate who used to work in a radio control car shop in Otley:

QuoteMF DOOM- in Otley.

Further info:
So why did he have to come to the shop?

Lee: " his credit card kept being declined over the phone. His bank figured it must be a scam and someone else was using his card. So the quickest way for him to sort it and get the stuff he wanted was to come down to the shop and sign for it

Why did his bank think it was a scam?

Lee: they couldn't believe anyone was just going to drop £5000 in a single day on remote control cars

iamcoop

Quote from: imitationleather on December 31, 2020, 10:00:06 PM
It implies they did a thorough check that it was the right one who died.

Pretty upset about this. I went to the first UK gig he did at the Roundhouse years back. It was ace.

Was that the show at The Roundhouse when he supported GFK? If so that night was crazy. I've never been in a 'mainstream' venue that was filled with so much weed smoke before. I was off my tits within about 5 minutes.

That was my first real introduction to DOOM, I hadn't listened to much of his stuff prior to that. My memory is hazy but he rocked the joint and even GFK was amazing which is rare, given every time I've ever seen anyone from Wu Tang live they've been unequivocally disinterested and awful. (Oh the joys of paying £40 to see 'Wu-Tang' only to watch U-God phone it in for an hour).

Anyway RIP. One of the great hip hop characters and an amazing wordsmith to boot.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Did MF stand for Mother Fucker?

WestHill

Metal Face.

Heartbreaking shit. As others have said, this one hit really hard.

C_Larence

Quote from: WestHill on January 02, 2021, 10:44:01 PM
Metal Face.

Heartbreaking shit. As others have said, this one hit really hard.

Metal Face when he's rapping, Metal Fingers when he's producing. Not to be confused with the MF in MF Grimm, which actually does stand for Mother Fucker (also Mad Flows, and Manhattan's Finest).

Cried listening to Krazy World from Take Me To Your Leader yesterday, DOOM's production was unparalleled.
https://youtu.be/F7HfrpW3YCo

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Metal Feet when he's playing football.

phantom_power

Metal Foreskin when he is...etc.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 03, 2021, 06:11:17 AM
Metal Feet when he's playing football.

Metal Femur when he's playing keepy uppy

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

WestHill

Metal Foreskin when he's doing a wee wee.

Marner and Me

Curse These Metal Fingers, when he's watching Peep Show

I'll get me coat

SpiderChrist

holyzombiejesus

I found a load of MF Doom stickers when I was sorting through a drawer a while ago and tried to sell them on ebay. Going to end the listing now as it seems a bit ghoulish even thought they've been up for sale for several months. If anyone wants one (I have about 10), PM me your address and I'll send you one in the post.

king_tubby

MF DOOM tribute in Leeds where he definitely lived.

holyzombiejesus

Everyone who PM'd me has got a sticker, will post tomorrow. Got a couple left if anyone else wants one.

The Mollusk

The Mollusk

"Can I shock you?" moment: I don't think Madvillainy is as unequivocally amazing as most people seem to. Like, it is a bloody great album, but I don't think it's quite as representative of either artist's best work when compared to some of their individual efforts which had preceded it (The Unseen, Shades of Blue, Operation: Doomsday and Take Me To Your Leader).

As a collaborative record, it works just as well as I'd expect, but it doesn't exceed those expectations enough for me to be like "phwoar mate YES, head and shoulders above the rest, that is". When I found out that it was all made quite haphazardly - with DOOM and Madlib rarely in the same room as one another, DOOM chucking together bars over beats Madlib would send him (beats which he'd ripped using a crappy miniature turntable) - it sort of all made sense to me. Creating something great on the fly with relatively minimal creative effort is a huge inspiration and highly admirable, but to me it remains an album which still sounds exactly like the sum of its parts.

I have always vaguely felt this way about it but I was unsure of how to express it without getting ma fucken heed kicked in, but it became more of a clear and cogent thought when the Madlib/Freddie Gibbs album Piñata came out. That album actually does sound like two huge forces coming together and creating something monumental, almost like losing control of it as it runs off into the world and becomes more powerful than you could imagine. Gibbs' lyrics which he arranges into numerous different flows are so perfectly suited to every single beat on that thing that they sound like they've been a duo for at least a decade prior to its release.

I dunno, I expect the feelings expressed in that third paragraph are how a lot of people feel about Madvillainy, but not me personally. Piñata is a solid 10/10 which thrills me with every listen. Madvillainy is a bit behind it, probably an 8/10. Soz DOOM!

chveik

yeah I prefer Pinata too. I think Vaudeville Villain is my favourite Doom album

Non Stop Dancer

Thanks for reminding me how incredible Piñata is. Listened to it so much I had to stop, but it's now back in vogue. Agree it's probably better than Madvilliany as much as I love that (another one I just don't listen to any more due to over exposure over the years).

Joe Oakes

I agree that Madvilliany doesn't stand out as peak DOOM, it's great, but I preferred the collab albums with Dangermouse & Czarface.

C_Larence

QuoteOne for the money, two for the better green
3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine

I mean, who else is going to write shit like that now?

buzby

Quote from: king_tubby on January 02, 2021, 12:24:52 PM
Shit news, this. Listened to the DangerDoom record so much.

Here's a story from a mate of a mate who used to work in a radio control car shop in Otley:
Blimey, MF Doom used to buy stuff from Modelsport?