Author Topic: MF Doom MF Dead :(  (Read 4070 times)

Re: MF Doom MF Dead :(
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2021, 02:56:13 PM »
How the fuck did this pass me by? Absolutely loved him. Goddamn amazing, both as a rapper and a producer. Wasn’t expecting this at all.

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2021, 06:54:29 PM »
Madvillainy is great, but always found myself going back to mm food and vaudeville villain the most. I think the track lengths are a bit longer and i can get into the tunes a bit more. Always felt like i want everything on madvillainy to go on for a little longer. It's like lots of delicious little canapes

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2021, 07:04:38 PM »
Operation Doomsday has The Finest on it, which is his worst song. Good rhymes etc but the production is strikingly sub-par. Hardly even sounds like a DOOM track. I believe it's a remix of some older song. Looking at the comments on that YouTube video there are clearly loads of people who think it's his best work, but I don't get it.

The Four Tet Remixes of Madvilliany are some of my favourites.

Vitalstatistix

• Photocopies are not admissable as memories
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2021, 08:05:42 PM »
Some surprising shouts in this thread. Czarface better than Madvillain!? I find the former project extremely hit and miss.

"The Finest" his worst song!? It's an absolute classic! Even if you don't dig the beat or Tommy Gunn's verses, it's miles above anything on Venomous Villain, Born Like This (apart from "That's That"), Key to the Kuffs and NehruvianDoom. That reminds me, his choice of collaborators post Dangerdoom.. pretty strange on the whole.

Anyway, each to their own :)

I was majorly obsessed with DOOM for years. For me, Madvillainy and Vaudeville Villain are masterpieces, whilst Operation Doomsday, Take me to Your Leader, Mm..Food? and The Mouse and the Mask are stone cold classics. It’s an unbelievable run DOOM had, especially around 2003/04.

Had this on recently.
“Let Me Watch (feat. Apani B)” from Vaudeville Villain.

The perfect Viktor track. A beautifully produced, hyper-detailed romantic story which descends into tragicomedy. Vik’s true loser nature slowly emerging to ruin the seduction whilst his prey gets the upper hand with the classic line “I’d rather masturbate than fuck with Vik Vaughn”. Vik fancies himself a womanising ‘vet’ but, as with his attempts at crime, he fails in hilarious fashion due to his arrogance and ineptitude.

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2021, 08:21:29 PM »
I remember my students seeming a bit bemused when my prog-loving-self playing 'Strange Ways' at the start of a lesson... but DOOM sampled Gentle Giant long before Kayne sampled King Crimson!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSxlZQUqVPY

RIP

Non Stop Dancer

• Nice apple tart
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2021, 10:06:29 PM »
I remember my students seeming a bit bemused when my prog-loving-self playing 'Strange Ways' at the start of a lesson... but DOOM sampled Gentle Giant long before Kayne sampled King Crimson!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSxlZQUqVPY

RIP
Are you an English teacher? My mate is and reckons there's a recognisable phenomenon of people finding a love of wordplay from MF DOOM specifically and following that career path as a result.

Bernice

• a turkey is a bad person
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2021, 12:00:57 AM »
The Four Tet Remixes of Madvilliany are some of my favourites.

Fuck, yeah, forgot how much I love those. The Great day remix is such a soundtrack to nostalgia for me.

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2021, 02:42:27 AM »
This unofficial Christmas-themed remix album from a year or two ago was pretty damn good, MF Grinch at 7:07 is particularly outrageous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwzBjBHfDIs

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2021, 03:40:48 PM »

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2021, 09:54:39 AM »
Anyone clocked the fuckin vultures on Discogs selling his otherwise affordable music at now ludicrous prices? I can't say I'm surprised to see rare bits like the Operation: Doomsday lunchbox set (which was previously going secondhand in very good condition for about £40-50) ramped up to over £350, but there are bog standard used condition CDs of not-at-all rare albums like Mm.. Food and Take Me To Your Leader now selling for upwards of £40. It's a fucking CD you dickheads, get over yourselves. I got my copy of TMTYL from a record exchange for about £2 but I'd never part with it obviously.

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2021, 10:39:10 AM »

Had this on recently.
“Let Me Watch (feat. Apani B)” from Vaudeville Villain.

The perfect Viktor track. A beautifully produced, hyper-detailed romantic story which descends into tragicomedy. Vik’s true loser nature slowly emerging to ruin the seduction whilst his prey gets the upper hand with the classic line “I’d rather masturbate than fuck with Vik Vaughn”. Vik fancies himself a womanising ‘vet’ but, as with his attempts at crime, he fails in hilarious fashion due to his arrogance and ineptitude.

Always thought '"Fancy Clown"' was a perfect companion piece to this song.

Starting off with Viktor Vaughn calling a girl who cheated on him with MF DOOM and sounding a mix of bitter and heartbroken, then in the second verse showing his true loser nature with all of his fictional tales of sleeping with other people in a "I didn't like you anyway" tone to try and spite her. Perfection.

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2021, 10:44:14 AM »
Anyone clocked the fuckin vultures on Discogs selling his otherwise affordable music at now ludicrous prices? I can't say I'm surprised to see rare bits like the Operation: Doomsday lunchbox set (which was previously going secondhand in very good condition for about £40-50) ramped up to over £350, but there are bog standard used condition CDs of not-at-all rare albums like Mm.. Food and Take Me To Your Leader now selling for upwards of £40. It's a fucking CD you dickheads, get over yourselves. I got my copy of TMTYL from a record exchange for about £2 but I'd never part with it obviously.

It's mad, From 2003-2005 I think I bought literally any record with MF DOOM featuring on it and there were some properly shit ones amongst that (I think he'd just had a kid and was looking to earn as much money in a short time period as he could). Now even the worst of his collaborations are going for big money (or at least being listed at that price).

Vitalstatistix

• Photocopies are not admissable as memories
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2021, 12:35:50 PM »
Always thought '"Fancy Clown"' was a perfect companion piece to this song.

Starting off with Viktor Vaughn calling a girl who cheated on him with MF DOOM and sounding a mix of bitter and heartbroken, then in the second verse showing his true loser nature with all of his fictional tales of sleeping with other people in a "I didn't like you anyway" tone to try and spite her. Perfection.

Absolutely. You have to love an MC who takes the piss out of himself in such a meta convoluted way whilst staying true to his multiple characters.

"But have it your way, raw— no foreplay
That's you if you want a dude who wear a mask all day"

madhair60

• 一番
  • Golden Member
  • ごめんなさい
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #73 on: Yesterday at 10:16:25 AM »

Ah, OK. This is a shame. This explains things - I've been looking up some of the stuff I don't have in the wake of his passing and finding them absurdly expensive. This is disappointing, hopefully prices will calm down.

Tags: