Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MF Doom MF Dead :(

Started by madhair60, December 31, 2020, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
How the fuck did this pass me by? Absolutely loved him. Goddamn amazing, both as a rapper and a producer. Wasn't expecting this at all.

thugler

Madvillainy is great, but always found myself going back to mm food and vaudeville villain the most. I think the track lengths are a bit longer and i can get into the tunes a bit more. Always felt like i want everything on madvillainy to go on for a little longer. It's like lots of delicious little canapes

JaDanketies

Operation Doomsday has The Finest on it, which is his worst song. Good rhymes etc but the production is strikingly sub-par. Hardly even sounds like a DOOM track. I believe it's a remix of some older song. Looking at the comments on that YouTube video there are clearly loads of people who think it's his best work, but I don't get it.

The Four Tet Remixes of Madvilliany are some of my favourites.

Vitalstatistix

Some surprising shouts in this thread. Czarface better than Madvillain!? I find the former project extremely hit and miss.

"The Finest" his worst song!? It's an absolute classic! Even if you don't dig the beat or Tommy Gunn's verses, it's miles above anything on Venomous Villain, Born Like This (apart from "That's That"), Key to the Kuffs and NehruvianDoom. That reminds me, his choice of collaborators post Dangerdoom.. pretty strange on the whole.

Anyway, each to their own :)

I was majorly obsessed with DOOM for years. For me, Madvillainy and Vaudeville Villain are masterpieces, whilst Operation Doomsday, Take me to Your Leader, Mm..Food? and The Mouse and the Mask are stone cold classics. It's an unbelievable run DOOM had, especially around 2003/04.

Had this on recently.
"Let Me Watch (feat. Apani B)" from Vaudeville Villain.

The perfect Viktor track. A beautifully produced, hyper-detailed romantic story which descends into tragicomedy. Vik's true loser nature slowly emerging to ruin the seduction whilst his prey gets the upper hand with the classic line "I'd rather masturbate than fuck with Vik Vaughn". Vik fancies himself a womanising 'vet' but, as with his attempts at crime, he fails in hilarious fashion due to his arrogance and ineptitude.

garbed_attic

I remember my students seeming a bit bemused when my prog-loving-self playing 'Strange Ways' at the start of a lesson... but DOOM sampled Gentle Giant long before Kayne sampled King Crimson!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSxlZQUqVPY

RIP

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: gout_pony on January 08, 2021, 08:21:29 PM
I remember my students seeming a bit bemused when my prog-loving-self playing 'Strange Ways' at the start of a lesson... but DOOM sampled Gentle Giant long before Kayne sampled King Crimson!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSxlZQUqVPY

RIP
Are you an English teacher? My mate is and reckons there's a recognisable phenomenon of people finding a love of wordplay from MF DOOM specifically and following that career path as a result.

Bernice

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 08, 2021, 07:04:38 PM
The Four Tet Remixes of Madvilliany are some of my favourites.

Fuck, yeah, forgot how much I love those. The Great day remix is such a soundtrack to nostalgia for me.

Joe Oakes

This unofficial Christmas-themed remix album from a year or two ago was pretty damn good, MF Grinch at 7:07 is particularly outrageous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwzBjBHfDIs

The Mollusk

Anyone clocked the fuckin vultures on Discogs selling his otherwise affordable music at now ludicrous prices? I can't say I'm surprised to see rare bits like the Operation: Doomsday lunchbox set (which was previously going secondhand in very good condition for about £40-50) ramped up to over £350, but there are bog standard used condition CDs of not-at-all rare albums like Mm.. Food and Take Me To Your Leader now selling for upwards of £40. It's a fucking CD you dickheads, get over yourselves. I got my copy of TMTYL from a record exchange for about £2 but I'd never part with it obviously.

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on January 08, 2021, 08:05:42 PM

Had this on recently.
"Let Me Watch (feat. Apani B)" from Vaudeville Villain.

The perfect Viktor track. A beautifully produced, hyper-detailed romantic story which descends into tragicomedy. Vik's true loser nature slowly emerging to ruin the seduction whilst his prey gets the upper hand with the classic line "I'd rather masturbate than fuck with Vik Vaughn". Vik fancies himself a womanising 'vet' but, as with his attempts at crime, he fails in hilarious fashion due to his arrogance and ineptitude.

Always thought '"Fancy Clown"' was a perfect companion piece to this song.

Starting off with Viktor Vaughn calling a girl who cheated on him with MF DOOM and sounding a mix of bitter and heartbroken, then in the second verse showing his true loser nature with all of his fictional tales of sleeping with other people in a "I didn't like you anyway" tone to try and spite her. Perfection.

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 13, 2021, 09:54:39 AM
Anyone clocked the fuckin vultures on Discogs selling his otherwise affordable music at now ludicrous prices? I can't say I'm surprised to see rare bits like the Operation: Doomsday lunchbox set (which was previously going secondhand in very good condition for about £40-50) ramped up to over £350, but there are bog standard used condition CDs of not-at-all rare albums like Mm.. Food and Take Me To Your Leader now selling for upwards of £40. It's a fucking CD you dickheads, get over yourselves. I got my copy of TMTYL from a record exchange for about £2 but I'd never part with it obviously.

It's mad, From 2003-2005 I think I bought literally any record with MF DOOM featuring on it and there were some properly shit ones amongst that (I think he'd just had a kid and was looking to earn as much money in a short time period as he could). Now even the worst of his collaborations are going for big money (or at least being listed at that price).

Vitalstatistix

Quote from: thelittlemango on January 13, 2021, 10:39:10 AM
Always thought '"Fancy Clown"' was a perfect companion piece to this song.

Starting off with Viktor Vaughn calling a girl who cheated on him with MF DOOM and sounding a mix of bitter and heartbroken, then in the second verse showing his true loser nature with all of his fictional tales of sleeping with other people in a "I didn't like you anyway" tone to try and spite her. Perfection.

Absolutely. You have to love an MC who takes the piss out of himself in such a meta convoluted way whilst staying true to his multiple characters.

"But have it your way, raw— no foreplay
That's you if you want a dude who wear a mask all day"

madhair60

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 13, 2021, 09:54:39 AM

Ah, OK. This is a shame. This explains things - I've been looking up some of the stuff I don't have in the wake of his passing and finding them absurdly expensive. This is disappointing, hopefully prices will calm down.

JaDanketies

Yeah all this stuff about the hospitals fucking it up too, I read Reddit comments that made it sound like it was quite foreseeable that he'd have a reaction like that and it should've been dealt with better.

Surprised he lived in Leeds too!

momatt

The almighty Metal Fingered Super-Villain died in Leeds?!  No offense to the town, but that doesn't sound right at all.

He has so much tragedy in his life, really sucks.

Blinder Data

enjoyed this article exploring his connection to Leeds:

Quote from: https://www.thesquareball.net/leeds-united/operation-doomsday/He was known to be a collector of remote control cars, once reviewing different models for an issue of a dedicated magazine, giving each one a rating from one to five DOOM masks. I visited a shop in Leeds selling RCs priced up to almost £4,000, where I'd heard DOOM might have shopped. A member of staff told me it was true, but asked neither he nor the shop were named. He told me DOOM sometimes sent one of two friends he was living with on his behalf. They all wore DOOM rings, he said, but only Dumile's was gold. Apparently there was once a problem with one of his orders, so DOOM left a one-star review on TrustPilot.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 07, 2023, 11:45:48 AMenjoyed this article exploring his connection to Leeds:

Trying to find his Trustpilot profile
he just had too many pseudonyms so how could you tell

The Mollusk

Should have known this late unpublished lyric of his wasn't as cryptic as it first seemed:

Wanna know what he's up to, well here's a story
Had a thing in the hospital, respiratory
Time away from the rap game for threading seeds
Last seen with his head in weeds, dead in Leeds

The Mollusk

Strayed from the bustle of the RnB bars
Instead started hustling the RC cars
And he don't want no argey-bargey
Tryin not to go like Elvis bloated on the khazi

JaDanketies

RC car shop failings make the metal mask go violet
See his non-stop wailing take them to task on Trustpilot
A one-star review when they fucked up the order
The race car wouldn't move with a faulty transformer

king_tubby

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 07, 2023, 11:45:48 AMenjoyed this article exploring his connection to Leeds:

I posted this when he died, from a mate who knew a guy who worked in the shop:

QuoteMF DOOM- in Otley.

Further info:
So why did he have to come to the shop?

Lee: " his credit card kept being declined over the phone. His bank figured it must be a scam and someone else was using his card. So the quickest way for him to sort it and get the stuff he wanted was to come down to the shop and sign for it

Why did his bank think it was a scam?

Lee: they couldn't believe anyone was just going to drop £5000 in a single day on remote control cars

Blinder Data

the hospital trust has apologised for his death: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-66133881

sounds like he got terrible care. how tragic

The Mollusk

Hard to be objective when this is one of my heroes and one of the most beloved MCs in the world but this sort of oversight from our woefully failing health system is almost certainly not uncommon and is an absolute tragedy for whomever falls under it. Just horrible.

I can vouch that St James's is a great hospital though (well they got rid of my kidney stone).

gabrielconroy

The news that DOOM had been living in Leeds, of all places, for over a decade is utterly surreal. And the details of his death upsetting. It's not right for anyone who's not an evil bastard to go like that, never mind a great like him.