Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The KLF Are Back (Maybe)

Started by matjam13, January 01, 2021, 01:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Looking forward to finding out what else they'll do other than make any new music.

edon

From the channel description:

QuoteIf you need to know more about the work done by The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, The Timelords or The KLF, you can find truths, rumours and half-truths scattered across the internet.

From these truths, rumours and half-truths, you can form your own opinions.

The actual facts were washed down a storm drain in Brixton some time in the late 20th century.

Further information can be found on a poster, fly posted under a railway bridge on the Kingsland Road in London on the 31st of December 2020.

Is it really them though or another fan hoax?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Looks like it's them and they're making a proper go of it judging by the HD videos on the youtube channel[NB]sorry is that the channel you were already referring to, edon?[/nb] some of which do look pretty great!

I don't care what wanky story they might spin instead of just saying  "hi we changed our minds here's the back catalogue". As long as this means everything ends up available to stream in decent quality then great.

edon

The quality of the videos and number of pages set up does give the whole thing some credence, but I didn't think Drummond and Cauty were still much bothered about doing anything with their old material, certainly not with quotes from the former like this from a few years ago:

Quote"We do understand that there are two documentaries being made about The KLF – both of these are nothing to do with us. Jimmy Cauty and I have always remained very close but we have no plans to reform The KLF or exploit our back catalogue in any way."

https://www.nme.com/news/music/bill-drummond-responds-klf-reunion-rumours-1935404

Wet Blanket

Very excited to see this. No doubt they'll only be available for 23 hours/days/years or something. I wonder if it's a necessary fundraiser after 2020 destroyed the market in travelling the globe shining shoes or crafting intricate cityscapes to keep in shipping containers. I'm hoping it's a first step in some wider scheme

purlieu

Yeah, this is very surprising, given how they're always stuck to their guns in the past. Curious to see how it all pans out.

Captain Z

Ambient Sheep

Just happened across this on Twitter, and came here to spread the good news:

https://twitter.com/KLF_Online/status/1344925846629457920

QuoteKLF Online
@KLF_Online

As the first in a series of The KLF's back catalogue selections officially hits streaming services on January 1st, this year has already proven to be much better than 2020.

#kickoutthejams

Solid State Logik 1 - The KLF    open.spotify.com

8:38 · 01 Jan 21 · Twitter Web App

Seems pretty official. :-)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: edon on January 01, 2021, 02:38:11 AM
From the channel description:

QuoteIf you need to know more about the work done by The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, The Timelords or The KLF, you can find truths, rumours and half-truths scattered across the internet.

From these truths, rumours and half-truths, you can form your own opinions.

The actual facts were washed down a storm drain in Brixton some time in the late 20th century.

Further information can be found on a poster, fly posted under a railway bridge on the Kingsland Road in London on the 31st of December 2020

Is it really them though or another fan hoax?

This tweet has a longer and more informative version of that (in picture form), as well as that poster pic and two more pics:

https://twitter.com/ReactionsTo2023/status/1344979571259678722

Ambient Sheep

Has even made the front page of the BBC News website, sixth item down as I type.  Surprisingly well-researched too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55507226

Someone even heard it on Radio 4!

Slow news day though, granted.

NattyDread 2

Aye, it was on the Radio 4 news earlier as the last piece. They managed to wedge in a bit about the fact R4 put out a play about the money burning on Jura.

They also pointed out that it marks the last of the big names to be absent from streaming services. Is that right? Seems a bit of a shame they didn't hold out if they were indeed the only ones not having it.

edon

Genuinely does seem to be legit, I'll be damned. Nice and all to see the videos for the big singles in good quality, but much more interested in what's to come soon from what's been said so far.

I do wonder what the motive behind this is though - it can't just be money considering how shit the pay is for artists from Spotify and the like.

Kind of disappointed in part, since the "deleting the catalogue" thing was a nice bit of their mythos. But in the main it's good to have some of the songs easily accessible.

An official high-quality version of Chill Out would be fantastic.

buzby

I'm slightly disappointed they didn't stick to their guns too really, particularly as I have no interest in subscribing to any streaming services just to hear them.

One thing about the videos uploaded to youtube - the Doctorin The Tardis, Kylie Said to Jason, the Stadium House Trilogy videos and the ones that followed (It's Grim Up North, America:WTIL?, Justified & Ancient) were all shot on film (see the making of Justified & Ancient). Only the initial 'Cornfield' promo for WTIL? was shot on video. The versions they have uploaded to youtube appear to be the video transfer masters (presumably on BetaCam SP) of them though.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 01, 2021, 07:59:49 PM
An official high-quality version of Chill Out would be fantastic.

Might that be problematic cos of all the samples?

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 01, 2021, 09:14:05 PM
Might that be problematic cos of all the samples?
AFAIK they were all cleared. The notes on the rear sleeve state as much:
The KLF would like to thank Evil Graham Lee, Elvis Presley, Nick Coler, Jesus Loves You, Fleetwood Mac, Acker Bilk and all other communicators around the world who contributed to this album.
They learned their lesson on the uncleared sample front after the JAMs period (apart from Wanda Dee on Last Train, of course). The album was still on sale up to the point they deleted their back catalogue. The only issue is if the clearances at the time did not account for future exploitation in other formats, as happened with De La Soul's clearances.

Re-jigged version of Chill Out is now streaming and up on the official Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W99Sn3lYY10&t=124s

I haven't listened to it yet as I'm just off to bed, but the streaming version has different track titles to the original release, and I don't know if they've taken out any unclearable samples.

BJBMK2

Haven't finished listening to it yet, but Elvis seems to have disappeared...

Oh! And at 28 mins, is this...is this new KLF music? Or an unrealised mix/re working?

That diden't half catch me off guard...

edon

Not surprised at Elvis leaving the album. Acker Bilk doesn't look to be on there anymore either.

The rejiging they've done sounds good anyways - it very likely is new as I can't imagine this being a second take that they did after the original. Pretty much the entire last 10 minutes or so is different, so worth listening to that if nothing else.

Wow, so basically an actual new official KLF release in the Year of Our Lord 2021? Can't wait to listen to this later.

Just giving it a listen now.  They've also removed the sample of 'Albatross' by Fleetwood Mac' and replaced it with the tones from 'What Time Is Love?'.

buzby

Quote from: edon on February 04, 2021, 02:44:26 AM
Not surprised at Elvis leaving the album. Acker Bilk doesn't look to be on there anymore either.

The rejiging they've done sounds good anyways - it very likely is new as I can't imagine this being a second take that they did after the original. Pretty much the entire last 10 minutes or so is different, so worth listening to that if nothing else.
Come Down Dawn is also 6 minutes shorter than Chill Out.

I think they have just edited the sections featuring the contentious samples out. Chill Out was allegedly mixed live to DAT, so short of going back to recreate it from scratch, edits are all they could do. A 'new' end section made up of the the Virtual Reality Mix of What Time Is Love? has then been added on to make up for some of the lost runtime.

Quote from: BJBMK2 on February 04, 2021, 01:37:04 AM
Oh! And at 28 mins, is this...is this new KLF music? Or an unrealised mix/re working?
See above. It's the WTIL? Virtual Reality Mix from the 1990 KLF 004Y 'Remodelled and Remixed' 12". It contains the largest clip of the cancelled Pure Trance version of Go To Sleep to be released.

Given the TVT US release of the original was still on sale as an import here long into the 00s (until the licencing deal ran out, I think?) I can only assume that my previous post was correct and it's due to the original sample clearance agreements not covering digital releases or streaming.

bomb_dog

Ron Grainer's estate getting 0.000001% of any proceeds now? (couple of occurances of the Dr Who theme after 28m in)

Not convinced over the changes, but Chill Out still exists so I don't need to listen to the new one. The first half does sound nicer than ever though.

phantom_power

I am glad Chill Out is available for streaming now and I am also glad it has been changed, as that makes the 80 quid I spent on a vinyl copy of it a couple of months ago less of a waste of money.

Aren't there bootlegs of different versions of Chill Out around? Either run-throughs or alternate mixes that they weren't happy with? I have one called something like "Coming down off E at 6am" that sounds like such a thing EDIT: Just checked and it seems to be a fan-made mix

Wet Blanket

I'm interested to find out what's motivated this about face when it comes to making the music available and why it's taking the form of new compilations.

I noticed, similarly, that The White Stripes Spotify feed has recently introduced a handful of compilations 'Best of' 'Covers' 'Deep Cuts' and 'The Complete Collection'. featuring really bland thumbnail artwork that seems at odds with Jack White's usual attention to detail and control freakery over the Third Man catalogue. Is Spotify asserting some right over how it presents artists' music and the KLF are getting an angle on the game with their flyposters and whatnot?

mobias

Quote from: phantom_power on February 04, 2021, 10:06:29 AM
I am glad Chill Out is available for streaming now and I am also glad it has been changed, as that makes the 80 quid I spent on a vinyl copy of it a couple of months ago less of a waste of money.

Aren't there bootlegs of different versions of Chill Out around? Either run-throughs or alternate mixes that they weren't happy with? I have one called something like "Coming down off E at 6am" that sounds like such a thing EDIT: Just checked and it seems to be a fan-made mix

I've got what I've always presumed was an early run through of Chill Out. It sounds roughly like the finished album but has a few different moments in it. I read it was done by Jimmy Cauty and Alex Patterson. I guess it could well be a fan remix though so god knows what its origin is.

phantom_power

There are lots of fan mixes around. Some are pretty good and interesting and some a bit crap.

I am hoping there is a proper streaming release of What Time is Love (Echo and the Bunnymen Mix) which I think is the best thing they have done outside their ambient albums

buzby

Quote from: phantom_power on February 04, 2021, 11:13:31 AM
There are lots of fan mixes around. Some are pretty good and interesting and some a bit crap.

I am hoping there is a proper streaming release of What Time is Love (Echo and the Bunnymen Mix) which I think is the best thing they have done outside their ambient albums
It was a collaboration between the two bands, based on the version performed when Bill & Jimmy appeared with The Bunnymen at a benefit gig at Marsh Lane Community Centre in Bootle on 16th March 1990.

I believe it was recorded in May 1990 at Ridge Farm Studio (on the sleeve it's listed as recorded at 'Trancentral Mobile' which indicates it was likely the the gear they used for their rare live appearances) during the sessions for Echo & The Bunnymen's Reverberation album (Adrian Moore is credited as engineer, and he was the house engineer at Ridge Farm while Reverberation was being recorded). It also features a similar sound to Reverberation, which was produced by Geoff Emerick using instruments and techniques he had used with The Beatles - tablas, sitars, reversed tape loops etc.