Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:14:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebrity Death List 2021

Started by oy vey, January 01, 2021, 02:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

Also great in Midnight Run.

New page - we're talking about deceased actor Yaphet Kotto.

Was he the one who got filled with helium by James Bond before going pop in a laughable special effect?

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 16, 2021, 01:51:48 PM
Was he the one who got filled with helium by James Bond before going pop in a laughable special effect?

Yep...

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I like how he gets more shiny as he expands.

kalowski

He was in Truck Turner, worth watching just for the theme song.
There's some dudes in a bar
With busted heads and broken jaws.
What hit 'em?
Truck Turner!

George White

Henry Darrow too's passed.
Manolito in the High Chaparral, lots of telly, including as Vulcan Savar in TNG.

Sabine Schmitz, the only woman to win the Nurburgring 24hrs, and regular Top Gear contributor, has died from cancer aged 51.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: George White on March 16, 2021, 11:30:01 PM
Henry Darrow too's passed.
Manolito in the High Chaparral, lots of telly, including as Vulcan Savar in TNG.

Farewell Manolito. Fond memories of lazy Sunday afternoons lounging on the couch watching The High Chaparral

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 17, 2021, 09:13:31 AM
Sabine Schmitz, the only woman to win the Nurburgring 24hrs, and regular Top Gear contributor, has died from cancer aged 51.

Thought this one was a shame and then as an extra bleak bonus my phone informed me that Sarah Harding from Girls Aloud has terminal breast cancer and doesn't expect to see Christmas. I was never a GA fan or really knew anything about her but it made me quite sad.

Blue Jam

Thought Girls Aloud had some pretty good stuff myself.

I read the news about Sarah Harding the other day and was really very sad about it too, especially as I also learned that she's my age. No age at all.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I, too, have always rated Girls Aloud, have quite a few of their recordings, and rate " The Show" as one of the best pop songs of recent times.

Bad, sad news, indeed.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Former England Fowrard,,player for other clubs like Leicester City, and Dieter Meire out of Yello lookalike Frank Worthington gone at the age of 72.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 23, 2021, 12:53:49 PM
Former England Fowrard,,player for other clubs like Leicester City, and Dieter Meire out of Yello lookalike Frank Worthington gone at the age of 72.
Trying to figure out how I, a non-football fan, have heard of Worthington. Did he have some kind of cult status or indie music stardom or do a lot of drugs or something? Did David Gedge write a song about him or was he on a Smiths cover or something? Or was he more of a Loaded icon?

petril

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 24, 2021, 09:15:44 AM
Trying to figure out how I, a non-football fan, have heard of Worthington. Did he have some kind of cult status or indie music stardom or do a lot of drugs or something? Did David Gedge write a song about him or was he on a Smiths cover or something? Or was he more of a Loaded icon?

there was one really good goal from 1979 that's doing the rounds as taking more skill than 1979 had any right allowing. one of those ones that back then people just talked about forever as the rest of his career faded from memory.

kind of like how everyone in a precise age band knows about Toto Schillachi, but outside of seven games and one tournament, didn't seem to amount to much

phantom_power

Worthington was a "cool" footballer a bit like George Best. I am sure he has appeared on a single or album cover by some indie band.

Echo Valley 2-6809

He was one of a handful of apparently self-sabotaging working-class mavericks in the 1970s, brilliantly skilful on their day, but inconsistent. The fame and notoriety came from the tabloid press always looking for the next George Best (as phantom_power mentioned): good-looking, long-haired, little respect for authority, always in the betting shop or the pubs and clubs (see also Stan Bowles and Peter Marinello etc). He managed to fail two medicals for Liverpool when Shankly wanted to buy him, probably due to his partying, reportedly had a threesome with a Swedish mother and daughter, and called his autobiography One Hump or Two? In a Shoot magazine questionnaire under Former Clubs he wrote 'The Playboy and Tramps', and for Most Difficult Opponent, 'the taxman'.

Lineker says he was kind and helpful to him when he was a youngster at Leicester. He probably was worshipped in Loaded and the like years after his career was over, but I doubt he would have ever described himself as a legend.

kalowski

George Segal
"I love it when a death comes together."

Oh, that's George Peppard.

Neomod

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

" Hearse!"

( Instead of " Taxi!")

( He shouts this line while hailing a taxi in a couple of scenes in the 1973 film " A Touch Of Class")

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: phantom_power on March 24, 2021, 09:33:12 AM
Worthington was a "cool" footballer a bit like George Best. I am sure he has appeared on a single or album cover by some indie band.
I had a look but couldn't find anything relating Frank Worthington and indie music, unless he inspired Frank Sidebottom. I may have confused him with Robin Friday who was on the cover of the SFA's "The Man Don't Give a Fuck". But it definitely appears Worthington is a hero to many, for obvious reasons.

mothman

Jessica Walter RIP. She doesn't understand resuscitation, and she won't respond to it.

Mobius

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: mothman on March 25, 2021, 07:16:58 PM
Jessica Walter RIP. She doesn't understand resuscitation, and she won't respond to it.

Play " Misty" for her.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on March 24, 2021, 09:50:43 AM
He was one of a handful of apparently self-sabotaging working-class mavericks in the 1970s, brilliantly skilful on their day, but inconsistent.
Worth countering to the self-sabotaging bit that Worthington was still playing top flight football well into his mid 30s, so presumably he kept himself in decent health - indeed, his last first division season saw him play regularly for Southampton as they finished second and he was still playing league standard till he was close to 40.

Although, that said, I gather Lawrie McMenemy sacked him after finding him in his team hotel room with two young ladies and Ron Atkinson claims he turned down a move to Man United in 1982 in favour of going to relegation-bound Leeds.

Blue Jam

Quote from: mothman on March 25, 2021, 07:16:58 PM

Aww this is sad. No-one did "emotionally abusive matriarch" quite like her. RIP.

Blue Jam

Houston Tumlin, child actor whose only film role was little Walker Bobby in Talladega Nights- 28, suicide:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/houston-tumlin-dead-dies-talladega-nights-1234937366/

zomgmouse

French filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier has passed away.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobius on March 25, 2021, 07:31:21 PM
Poet, from Oz also died :(

I saw a post about him from Questlove earlier and thought it must have been his anniversary. Thought he died a few years back.

petril

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 25, 2021, 11:14:53 AM
I had a look but couldn't find anything relating Frank Worthington and indie music, unless he inspired Frank Sidebottom. I may have confused him with Robin Friday who was on the cover of the SFA's "The Man Don't Give a Fuck". But it definitely appears Worthington is a hero to many, for obvious reasons.

you know when a 90s comedy show has a character who's meant to be the shitty old trad comedian type? that's the sort of off-stage look they get

Blue Jam

That is quite a haircut to be fair. Proto-mullet with nature's Mohican?

Is co-author "Steve Wells" the late Steve(n) Wells who wrote for the NME? He was also a sports writer, seems like an appropriate choice of author.