Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebrity Death List 2021

Started by oy vey, January 01, 2021, 02:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

No, but I should have. He's been in very poor health for well over a decade. He was only 59 and had a stroke 14 years ago.

Blue Jam

Andy Fordham took that joke about him in This Country very well. Aww he seemed alright.

The Culture Bunker

He teamed up with Bob Mortimer in some BBC Celebrity Darts show years ago, and I remember him creasing with up laughter at Bob's pleading at the need to "get this country carpeted again".

Cerys

If it had been done then maybe he'd still be alive.  Makes you think.

Sebastian Cobb

'I think of myself as an athlete because I have been on Grandstand and I wear trainers.'

Alberon

Tom O'Gonner

QuoteComedian Tom O'Connor died in hospital on Sunday aged 81, his family has said.

He had had Parkinson's for about 14 years said his daughter-in-law, the former athlete Denise Lewis.

Actually got to see his act about seven years ago. It wasn't aimed at my age group, but he was proper old school professional and quite funny (down to Earth I wouldn't know about though).

At the time I thought he looked a little bit older than his years, but he was seven years past his Parkinson's diagnosis I suppose. Didn't stop him making a sharp exit at the end to reception to man a table selling his books (not that is at all unusual for comedians, of course. I remember Stewart Lee doing the same).

Jockice

I was at a Paul McCartney open-air gig in Liverpool in the early 90s. I looked to my left and realised I was standing next to Tom O'Connor. Then I looked to my right and realised I was also standing next to John Robb. What are the chances of that happening, eh?

The curse of "Celebrity Fit Club" - Jono Coleman and Andy Fordham gone in the space of a few weeks. Kay Purcell died last December. Ian McCaskill died in 2016; Freddie Starr 2019; John Forgeham 2017; James Whitaker 2012; Jeff Rudom 2011.

mothman

Aged 65, 59, 57, 78, 76, 75, 71, and 51. Some hardly surprising (McAskill), some quite sobering (Rudom)...

robhug

its almost as if there's some sort of link between being morbidly obese and dying

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on July 20, 2021, 11:55:21 AM
The curse of "Celebrity Fit Club" - Jono Coleman and Andy Fordham gone in the space of a few weeks. Kay Purcell died last December. Ian McCaskill died in 2016; Freddie Starr 2019; John Forgeham 2017; James Whitaker 2012; Jeff Rudom 2011.

Yeah who would have thought the stars of a show initially called Celebrity Fat Club would be unhealthy? I'm not being funny, but I remember one of them got disqualified for "cheating", by having a gastric band.

Blue Jam

...and yet Ann Widdecombe lives.

Blue Jam

mothman

Blue Jam

Just seen the thread on him in Comedy Chat. Sounds like Rabbi Krustofsky and Sideshow Bob might have got on well.

Mr Banlon

Was persona non grata in Vegas for years after making a jibe about Frank Sinatra and Mia Farrow's relationship : 'He has toupees older than she is'
Then spent the last 5 years of his life with a tarantula glued on his bonce. Turned into a fucking horrible right-wing racist cunt as well.
The Stoolie (1972) is quite a good movie though.

Small Man Big Horse

Australian actor Dieter Brummer has died, he was best known for Home and Away but was also in Underbelly (and great in it too) and a couple of episodes of Review With Myles Barlow that he was very funny in. Seems to have been suicide given the bit at the end of the piece, which makes it all the sadder. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jul/26/dieter-brummer-home-and-away-star-found-dead-at-45

Blue Jam

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 26, 2021, 09:52:51 AM
Australian actor Dieter Brummer has died, he was best known for Home and Away but was also in Underbelly (and great in it too) and a couple of episodes of Review With Myles Barlow that he was very funny in. Seems to have been suicide given the bit at the end of the piece, which makes it all the sadder. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jul/26/dieter-brummer-home-and-away-star-found-dead-at-45

That's really sad, I remember him well, a very familiar name and face from my teenage years. I didn't know he'd been up to much since H+A, especially not Review With Myles Barlow, been checking out Forrest MacNeil's remake lately and loving it so fair play to him. This is properly bleak.

Virgo76

MSN seem to have started deliberately presenting celebrity death news stories from the past as if they have just happened.
Last week stories about Dame Diana Rigg and Kelly Preston came up (both died in 2020) and yesterday there was one about Gene Wilder (2016). All were in the Daily Express originally.
Not death-related but today there was a story from Hello! about David Tennant leaving Doctor Who.
No dates anywhere. Nothing anywhere to indicate that these are old stories.
I presume this is a deliberate dishonest tactic to attract clickbait?

MojoJojo

It may not be deliberate - it's a known issue with the way recommendation algorithms work. Basically the algorithms will recommend anything that generates clicks.

https://www.cjr.org/the_experiment/the_second_death_of_tony_hart.php

... But most platforms have put in fixes so old stories don't get bumped.

JaDanketies

Former Slipknot drummer Joey Jordison, aged just 46: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57993121

He had a condition called 'transverse myelitis', which is a form of MS.

I never knew he had that - I remember when he left, Corey Taylor kind of implied that he was kicked out because of a drug problem or something like that. If he had to quit because of his disease and he (CT) insinuated that in the press then he's a bigger cunt than I thought.

Jim_MacLaine

Markie Post of Night Court, Scrubs and Something About Mary has died.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/markie-post-dead-night-court-newsupdate

My American cousin informed me of this by saying this poster was his 'Farah Fawcett moment' as a teen.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Tony Bennett, 95, has retired from performing, according to a statement just released by his son. Hope he hangs on til after Christmas, cos I left him out of my list this year.

Alberon

Due to increasingly acute Alzheimers. Apparently the last year or so he was often unsure of where he was, but the singing and concerts helped him. With the pandemic lockdown that's been taken away and it sounds like he's declined markedly.

Gulftastic

My hero, Nanci Griffith has passed. I can't even begin to tall you how much her music has meant to me for over 30 years. My heart is broken tonight.