Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebrity Death List 2021

Started by oy vey, January 01, 2021, 02:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 08, 2021, 12:02:10 AM
Er, do the points still work as "100 minus the star's age"?

If so, quite a few people (me included) will would get zero points when if Captain Tom dies.

I wasn't aware of that until after I did my list last year which contained Vera Lynn and Kirk Douglas

Marion Ramsey, who played the little high-pitched voice lady in six Police Academy films, has died.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55578481

If anyone has her, they'll surely get a Pointless Answer bonus.

dissolute ocelot

RIP actor Jessica Campbell from Election, the political voice we need in these times. She quit acting and became a naturopath, and died of unknown causes.

Cerys

Mira Furlan has gone beyond The Rim.

Alberon

It seems she had been ill for awhile. The curse of Babylon 5 strikes again.

Malcy

Andy Gray died earlier in the week. Best known for City Lights & Naked Video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55709000

Quote from: Alberon on January 22, 2021, 06:57:49 AM
It seems she had been ill for awhile. The curse of Babylon 5 strikes again.

Bit of a cursed show isn't it? Think it was on here not all that long ago that I heard about it.

Gulftastic

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 13, 2021, 06:31:22 PM
RIP actor Jessica Campbell from Election, the political voice we need in these times. She quit acting and became a naturopath, and died of unknown causes.

That's a shame. She was terrific in 'Election'.

Phil_A

Quote from: Malcy on January 22, 2021, 10:48:47 AM
Bit of a cursed show isn't it? Think it was on here not all that long ago that I heard about it.

I've often thought it's become like the Dad's Army of nineties sci-fi shows, except all the cast who've died weren't even particularly old. It's bizarre.

Dex Sawash

Hank Aaroff has had his final home run

Gulftastic

Has anyone tried turning him Aaron again?

Alberon

Especially when you compare it to a contemporary show like DS9 which has lost just one main cast member and a few recurring ones. It's probably just a statistical quirk, but why did it have to be that show?

Poobum

Gutted about Mira Furlan. Was watching this Babylon 5 panel today by pure coincidence, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2pK_uBpXQ Has Stephan Furst being lovely and interesting, Jerry Doyle being exactly as obnoxious as you'd expect, and some lovely stories about Andreas Katsulas and Richard Briggs. Jerry Doyle's story about Andreas Katsulas in particular is funny and ridiculous. Also funny with Mira Furlan still being upset for quite a cruel prank a few of the cast played on Jason Carter, 20 years after the fact.

Twonty Gostelow

Andy Gray died earlier in the week. Best known for City Lights & Naked Video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55709000

It's not clear from that whether he was already ill in hospital when he caught Covid. I thought he'd recovered from his first illness after his sister donated bone marrow.

For some reason the image of him as a medallion-man running for a bus is the one that sticks with me.

Blue Jam

Went past the King's Theatre in Embra today and saw numerous bunches of flowers stuffed through the door handles. Nice to see Andy Gray hasn't been forgotten even though the theatres are closed.

imitationleather

Honestly would have guessed he was older than 87.

He didn't look good for his age.

Butchers Blind

Married 8 times!  Make your mind up... not now of course, he's dead.

imitationleather

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 23, 2021, 02:09:20 PM
Married 8 times!  Make your mind up... not now of course, he's dead.

I was just looking at that. In the '60s he got married four times in six years.

I've had longer migraines than some of those marriages.

El Unicornio, mang

"Not the marrying type" certainly couldn't be said of him. One was enough for me to decide marriage wasn't my bag.

Phil_A

Quote from: Poobum on January 22, 2021, 09:48:21 PM
Gutted about Mira Furlan. Was watching this Babylon 5 panel today by pure coincidence, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w2pK_uBpXQ Has Stephan Furst being lovely and interesting, Jerry Doyle being exactly as obnoxious as you'd expect, and some lovely stories about Andreas Katsulas and Richard Briggs. Jerry Doyle's story about Andreas Katsulas in particular is funny and ridiculous. Also funny with Mira Furlan still being upset for quite a cruel prank a few of the cast played on Jason Carter, 20 years after the fact.

Without wishing to derail this thread with B5 chat, I've just spotted the "Remastered" versions of the series is available on Amazon Prime, which is essentially the episodes presented as originally broadcast in the correct 4:3 ratio with a bit of digital clean-up. But still a massive improvement on the awful bodge-job DVD versions with the mismatched 16:9 shots and zoomed in/cropped CG sequences.

Gulftastic

The King is dead. Long live the Queen Singers.

Cold Meat Platter

The Iron Corpse of Broadcasting

Alberon

Quote from: Phil_A on January 23, 2021, 02:51:21 PM
Without wishing to derail this thread with B5 chat, I've just spotted the "Remastered" versions of the series is available on Amazon Prime, which is essentially the episodes presented as originally broadcast in the correct 4:3 ratio with a bit of digital clean-up. But still a massive improvement on the awful bodge-job DVD versions with the mismatched 16:9 shots and zoomed in/cropped CG sequences.

I dunno if you can call the 4:3 version the correct one. It was shot in widescreen and intended to be released in that one day. Of course the zoomed in bits of everything with a CGI element in it wasn't good either. Without derailing the thread further it seems an HD version of the 4:3 version exists already. I've no idea if that is where the Amazon Prime version comes from.

https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/05/hd-version-of-babylon-5-may-be-possible.html

The original film exists so it's possible to rebuild each episode with new CGI just like they did with Star Trek: The Next Generation. But that will never happen as B5 had far more CGI shots and even the HD TNG wasn't profitable enough.

St_Eddie

Quote from: imitationleather on January 23, 2021, 01:56:40 PM
Honestly would have guessed he was older than 87.

He didn't look good for his age.

R.I.P. Skeksis King

Bronzy

Paul Newman told me, you never get over it!

Phil_A

Quote from: Alberon on January 23, 2021, 04:55:09 PM

I dunno if you can call the 4:3 version the correct one. It was shot in widescreen and intended to be released in that one day. Of course the zoomed in bits of everything with a CGI element in it wasn't good either. Without derailing the thread further it seems an HD version of the 4:3 version exists already. I've no idea if that is where the Amazon Prime version comes from.

Nah, it was a show from an era when people only had square TVs, it was filmed with that format as a priority.

I'm aware it was shot on 16:9 cameras like most shows at the time, and that they did attempt to future proof for a potential widescreen release somewhere down the line, but this was scuppered because Warners wouldn't pay for the VFX team to have a special 16:9 reference monitor so they could render shots at the correct resolution.

Considering none of the visual effects were designed for a widescreen release I'm not sure you could say the 16:9 was in any way the "correct" version either, it was just a bit of an awkward compromise for the DVDs.

petril

on the other hand, you'd probably get all the CGI redone for free if you asked nicely around the Amiga fan community these days

Fambo Number Mive

A former Brexit MEP who Farage described as a "larger than life character" has died:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-55788542

According to Wikipedia, this man once tweeted the following vile tweet:

Quote"We are behind all our fisherman and the restoration of sovereignty over our waters. 200 miles of exclusion zone with any foreign fishing vessel given the same treatment as the Belgrano*! Well done June. We are 110% behind you and will ensure you give 'em hell on committee."

He lived in the Bahamas, where he died in a diving accident.

*the Argentinian ship sunk by the Royal Navy during the Falklands War.

Butchers Blind