Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Years Later, How Much Of What You Were Taught At School Do You Recall?

Started by Dr Rock, January 01, 2021, 09:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenoise

It's always a wonder to me
That when a pendulum swings free
A tick plus a tock
Of a grandfather clock
Is two pi root L over g

Captain Z

Sing hosanna,
Sing hosanna,
Sing hosanna to the king of kings!

Sing hosanna,
Sing hosanna,
Sing hosanna to the king (of kings)

Goldentony

oh actually RE two lads had a pretend fight, or more accurate one of them had an idea and was harder and dragged him and another lad through the fucking thin card door that were in the mobile outdoor classrooms we had lessons in, like an angry pull backwards into it scaring the fucking shit out of everyone except me because I saw it happening.

I think RE was the worst one, I remember things from pre Junior school but after that get fucked. Nothing. Year 7 to 11 was substitutes unable to control mad cunts. We had one angry weird fucking one for ages who nearly got shit out of us but like any hard teacher you still didnt do the work, you just left them alone and let them yell at you once a week. She quit and then a guy turned up who kept telling us Harry Potter film was shit

Goldentony

no idea what we did with geography other than we had another teacher who confused being an angry weird cunt with being able to carry a class and again we never learned anything because you tune the fuck out. Ive wrote about the bloke we had after who was sound because he could have a laugh but was a skinny tiny weird bloke and very camp and hard lads didnt let him get away wnith that, anyway ive wrote about them before because he was the one who had a class interrupted by the football team who jumped around him celebrating then went LETS BATTER HIM and someone did a Jurgen Klinsmann across his desk and wrecked his plan. Again, nice teacher but I cant tell you anything he taught us, nothing, someone ask me some basic gcse geography

thenoise

Year 8 RE they made us watch a circumcision video no less than three times. No anaesthetic, some curly haired cunt whipped off the nappy and chopped the fucker off.

Twit 2

Knowing what I know about education now, it is simply outrageous how boring I found school, how poorly I was taught and how little I remember, especially as I find almost everything interesting and have a pretty good memory for facts. I can remember almost no actual content, only the method it was (poorly) taught, which is entirely the wrong way round. 

thenoise

I assume teaching was so bad because in the glory days of the 90s someone with reasonable competence could make twice as much money in a 'proper' job with their level of numeracy/ intelligence. So we were left with the drop outs, people who couldn't handle stress or middle aged housewives returning to work. And the odd person who did it out of love - those are the teachers we remember. I think most schools had a couple.

Not sure thats true post '08 recession, becoming a teacher is probably the best chance a lower middle class person with a half-decent degree has of earning a decent wage.

JaDanketies

(x-4)(x+3)

I don't remember how to do that but I remember how it looks.

I remember a joke at the start of 12th Night that goes like:

Quote- Man in clown costume is playing drums
- "Pray thee sir, and your music, too. Do you work by your tabor (playing the drums) - ie do you earn a living playing the drums?
- "No, I live by the church."
- "Art thou a churchman?
- "No, but my house is next to the church."

And then there's some dialogue about how incredibly witty this is. Made me realise Shakespeare is shit, it's like Mrs Browns' Boys if Mrs Brown kept talking about how incredibly funny she was.

I remember the colours of the rainbow / spectrum from 'Richard of York Gave Battle in Vain'. Gf doesn't know the colours of the spectrum because she remembers some song "I can sing a rainbow" that's got all the wrong colours in the wrong order. Physics teachers HATE this one song.

Dex Sawash

My last year of high school I signed up for Industrial Cooperative Training. The idea was you went to ICT and two other classes and fucked off to your apprentice loom doffer job at lunchtime and got 3 more credits for going to the coal face. We did absolutely nothing in ICT[nb]I had ICT in the coveted third period slot so most days we were dismissed from class to go home after just a few minutes[/nb]  except for the spring semester we learned to do our income tax forms. The teacher gave us tax forms and income and deduction documents for fictional people. After six weeks of this even the thickest reject from the looms was a skilled tax preparer.

Obv thing I just realized, probably wasn't fictional tax forms. I bet teacher had a side gig as a tax preparer and we were doing the heavy lifting.

thenoise

Lungpuddle

The year I left, a history teacher told me I didn't belong at the school. Took me over a decade to learn I was taught wrong. I've only recently admitted to myself that I was bullied by that teacher out of the school. I'm out the other side, but I did spend a long time feeling worthless and in and out of hospitals. Dark times, to be honest.

Oh well, that's all ancient history now.