Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:55:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Berlin cunt hive

Started by Blue Jam, January 01, 2021, 07:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

When I read the free will question it made me assume they were into some Randian bollocks or other. I bet the correct answer is "yes", because the clever entrepreneurs in the bastard hive had all manifested their bastardness into existence through sheer force of their free wills, with no luck involved.

Zetetic

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 02, 2021, 02:40:46 PM
I would assume atheists would be more likely to answer "yes" and religious/spiritual people "no" (and agnostics "don't know") but I wondered if there was anything more to it, if it's a big part of a particular school of psychology or something.
Interesting, because I'd have thought:
- most atheists would answer "no", given a more mechanistic view of the universe (and likely at least a weak committent to determinism)[nb]And that quite a few people view compatibilism as somehow a cop-out side-stepping the real question.[/nb]
- most Christians would answer "yes", given an emphasis on people being ultimately accountable for their choices.

Blue Jam

I did wonder if this might be a New Atheism thing but clearly know absolutely nothing about this, sorry. Just seemed a bit of a weird question to throw in there with the rest.

Quote from: Buelligan on January 02, 2021, 02:41:49 PM
I guessing they choose the people who don't believe in free will to do the housework.

This is probably closest to the truth, aye.

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on January 02, 2021, 02:41:49 PM
I thought the whole point (one of the whole points) of Christianity was that God gave people free will?  You know, so's they choose whether to sin or not and all of that.
Calvin[nb]And Luther?[/nb] very explicitly takes a massive shit on that, sort of: God knows what's going to happen, the path of the universe is fixed, you're already saved or you're already damned.

Still argued that it's right to say that human's have "free will" though, because the still going to make their own decisions as part of that fixed path.

Edit: To make this more interesting to anyone less excited by Calvinism itself - I think this is relevant to why the Magisterium is how it is in His Dark Materials, since it's supposed to be Catholicism if Calvin won.

Buelligan

Quote from: Zetetic on January 02, 2021, 02:46:49 PM
Calvin very explicitly takes a massive shit on that.

Not in those chinos, I hope.

Being serious, original sin does not trump free will.  It just means you inherit your parent's debt, so no one gets away without making the payments.

chveik

having philosophical debates with your landlord sounds like fun

Captain Z

Do you believe in free will?

Yes, he managed to leap over that harbour wall.

Zetetic

Quote from: Buelligan on January 02, 2021, 02:48:05 PM
Being serious, original sin does not trump free will.  It just means you inherit your parent's debt, so no one gets away without making the payments.
It's not so much original sin, but predestination and predetermination that's relevant to Calvin's position.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Captain Z on January 02, 2021, 03:03:09 PM
Do you believe in free will?

Yes, he managed to leap over that harbour wall.

That wasn't full on free will, though, just a bit free willy.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Zetetic on January 02, 2021, 02:45:28 PM
Interesting, because I'd have thought:
- most atheists would answer "no", given a more mechanistic view of the universe (and likely at least a weak committent to determinism)[nb]And that quite a few people view compatibilism as somehow a cop-out side-stepping the real question.[/nb]
- most Christians would answer "yes", given an emphasis on people being ultimately accountable for their choices.

That's how I see it too.

Quote from: Zetetic on January 02, 2021, 02:46:49 PM
Edit: To make this more interesting to anyone less excited by Calvinism itself - I think this is relevant to why the Magisterium is how it is in His Dark Materials, since it's supposed to be Catholicism if Calvin won.

Answer me this: is Will free?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 01, 2021, 07:14:43 PM
Wasn't there a thread about something similar in London a while back? I don't think it was entrepreneurs they were looking for. Just mugs with more money than sense.

Aye, for the record:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=75327.0

Johnny Yesno