Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:40:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP

Started by touchingcloth, January 01, 2021, 07:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Flash. I can't believe it's been half a day already, forever in my prayers XoXoXSS.

Glebe

Hopefully Microsoft will do an update that removes the Flash settings thing. And Internet Explorer.

sirhenry

I only discovered today that Newgrounds would delete Flash files that weren't up to scratch 24 hours after uploading. After 15 years, realising that none of the ones I uploaded were isn't quite the ego boost that it would have been back then.

I still haven't got round to seeing if HTML5 and Javascript can do everything Flash did as easily. Seems unlikely.

RIP

Dex Sawash

He's the king of the universe

JesusAndYourBush

Can anyone get iplayer to work?  I use it so infrequently because of get_iplayer but when I tried last night it tried to use flash then fell over.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 02, 2021, 10:55:01 AM
Can anyone get iplayer to work?  I use it so infrequently because of get_iplayer but when I tried last night it tried to use flash then fell over.

What browser and OS was that on? iPlayer has been primarily HTML5 for ages with Flash retained to allow support for legacy browsers. Internet Explorer, basically.

If you're on a different browser I'd try clearing cookies or checking whether it loads in an incognito window.

Zetetic

The Mollusk

RIP flashing. These days if you expose yourself to someone without consent you get thrown in jail.

Zetetic

Quote from: sirhenry on January 01, 2021, 07:51:12 PM
I still haven't got round to seeing if HTML5 and Javascript can do everything Flash did as easily. Seems unlikely.

It feels like the last decade or so, maybe a bit longer, stripped at a family of computer tools - of various kinds - with extremely low barriers to entry. Excel-level barriers to entry, broadly. Stuff for anyone who is a computer user.

In exchange we've perhaps got much better more advanced tools with fairly low barriers to entry - Unity, Unreal, Source, in the context of games? Low-code platforms in the context of Access/Hypercard etc.?

This is not a well-thoughout theory. Neglects things like GameMaker Studio, Bitsy, ink, DragonRuby...

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 02, 2021, 11:02:19 AM
What browser and OS was that on? iPlayer has been primarily HTML5 for ages with Flash retained to allow support for legacy browsers. Internet Explorer, basically.

If you're on a different browser I'd try clearing cookies or checking whether it loads in an incognito window.

XP. (I know!)  Browser: Chrome and Firefox.  Chrome stopped updating ages ago.  Firefox could still do iplayer until sometime earlier in 2000. (I can't narrow it down any more accurately, I mainly use get_iplayer.)

Quote from: sirhenry on January 01, 2021, 07:51:12 PM

I uninstalled flash in 2014.  In the last 6 years the only thing that was broken (and thus needed flash) was iplayer, so that's why I have Firefox with flash installed in it.