Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SD card in phone as internal storage or the other one?

Started by paruses, January 02, 2021, 09:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Am going to put  a 16gb SD card in a phone that's run out of storage and has never had one before.

Whenever I do this I agonise over the option to use it as portable storage or make it part of the internal storage. Is there a best practice for this? I think my main thing is that if I ever need to upgrade the card it will be a nightmare if it's part of the internal storage although cheap handsets and built-in redundancy have  meant that I've never learned a lesson the hard way. Photos are always sent up to Dropbox or Google Photos (for better or worse).

canadagoose

Quote from: paruses on January 02, 2021, 09:56:12 AM
Am going to put  a 16gb SD card in a phone that's run out of storage and has never had one before.

Whenever I do this I agonise over the option to use it as portable storage or make it part of the internal storage. Is there a best practice for this? I think my main thing is that if I ever need to upgrade the card it will be a nightmare if it's part of the internal storage although cheap handsets and built-in redundancy have never meant that I've learned a lesson the hard way. Photos are always sent up to Dropbox or Google Photos (for better or worse).

My personal preference is to use it as portable storage, so that it's easy to get your stuff off it afterwards. With phones these days using encryption, it can be a pain in the arse to decrypt (or just impossible). You should be able to set up your camera app to use the SD card to store photos on, and if you can't, you can periodically move them all over.