Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:48:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Keeping Up Appearances

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 02, 2021, 05:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilcommiedictator

I enjoy it but yes, it's another "Rose loves a man" or "The Vicar Loves Rose" or "Dinner Party" or "Daddy" episode. At least noone ever breaks the fourth wall.
And for those of you who don't know why Richard stays, you haven't met many men who prefer to stay all day in their sheds yet have you?

The episode where Hyacinth hires a river boat is glorious.

Chiefgango

2 thoughts:

Struggle with the running transphobic joke about Hyacinth's brother in-law. Seared into my memory as a closeted child watching UKTV Gold unfortunately.

Clive Swift's son wrote the Introduction to Political Philosophy that was on my university pre-reading list.

the

Quote from: mippy on January 04, 2021, 10:56:14 PMIt gets repeated on CCXTV, along with occasional episodes of Slinger's Day and Bless This House.

Until I looked-up CCXTV, I was genuinely thinking "why the hell is Chinese state TV broadcasting Slinger's Day?"

Quote from: amateur on January 05, 2021, 08:16:06 AMI like to revisit the wonderfully bad-tempered interview Clive Swift gave to Doctor Who magazine every year or so.

Reposted here for those who like to avoid Twitter like the plague that it is: (click to enlarge)

mippy

Bet Duncan off of Blue was more forthcoming.

crankshaft

Quote from: the on January 05, 2021, 12:21:50 PM
Until I looked-up CCXTV, I was genuinely thinking "why the hell is Chinese state TV broadcasting Slinger's Day?"

Reposted here for those who like to avoid Twitter like the plague that it is: (click to enlarge)

He must have been an absolute cunt on set as well. There's no way that Russell T Davies would have let that interview run otherwise.

idunnosomename

Putting a toilet seat in the dishwasher seems like a pretty good idea to me, as long as it wasn't too big to stop the spinny thing from spinning

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Chiefgango on January 05, 2021, 06:55:38 AM
Struggle with the running transphobic joke about Hyacinth's brother in-law. Seared into my memory as a closeted child watching UKTV Gold unfortunately.

Which bit of it didn't you like? My impression is that the pseudo-upper-class Hyacinth just wouldn't talk about Bruce, wearing his wife's clothes, and being a tad kinky?
Like being in denial say if, your son was incredibly obviously a gay stereotype?

amateur

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 05, 2021, 02:22:35 PM
Putting a toilet seat in the dishwasher seems like a pretty good idea to me, as long as it wasn't too big to stop the spinny thing from spinning

It almost certainly would be, I've had some dreadful results on my glasses as a result of that.

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 03, 2021, 09:24:05 AM
It's one of those shows that Americans really love*, in my experience.

*or dismiss as exemplifying British comedy in a nutshell

PBS picked it up and played it endlessly, along with Brittas Empire, My Hero, As Time Goes By, and, when I was living in America, Eastenders episodes from about 6 years previously.

petril

Quote from: amateur on January 06, 2021, 11:52:16 AM
It almost certainly would be, I've had some dreadful results on my glasses as a result of that.

you should just use the wee cloth specsavers give you instead. dishwasher ffs

Rolf Lundgren

Fairly innocuous and amusing but elevated by Patricia Routledge's performance which is note perfect. It does a very good job of depicting a relationship between Richard and Hyacinth where you can't imagine them being anything else but middle aged.

Shit Good Nose

As I've said many a time on CaB, I honestly think it's the worst piece of visual entertainment media ever created by human beings.  Whenever I see Clarke's name pop up on screen I get a cold shiver (I've never even been keen on Open All Hours), but KUA is on another level entirely.  I genuinely can't understand what people ever saw in it.

Jittlebags

F-f-f-fetch yer cloth. Yes, Open All Hours is the only one of Clarke's comedies I like. Apart from the tin bath in Last of obviously.

Botty Cello

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on January 07, 2021, 09:33:38 PM
Fairly innocuous and amusing but elevated by Patricia Routledge's performance which is note perfect.
It gets 7.8 on IMDb which is more than Open All hours at 7.6 . I would agree, that was down to Patricia's performance, but also Clarke's well observed characterisations. It is visually drab, I blame Onslow et al for that.

idunnosomename

Quote from: amateur on January 06, 2021, 11:52:16 AM
the milkman won't be impressed one bit!

Fambo Number Mive

Watched the final episode of Series 5 today- the one where Hyacinth is mistaken for a
Spoiler alert
strippergram
[close]

Apparently there is a suggestion that Onslow went to prison - not sure what for. Can't have been anything too serious, he seems like a nice chap.

willbo

It was filmed near where I grew up and I have the same surname as Hyacinth's family in the prequel. Haven't seen it for years though

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: the on January 05, 2021, 12:21:50 PM

Haha sweet Jesus it's even worse than I remember

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Fambo, watch On the Buses next.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: crankshaft on January 05, 2021, 02:15:11 PM
He must have been an absolute cunt on set as well. There's no way that Russell T Davies would have let that interview run otherwise.

I note the only substantive tribute to him after his death, as referenced by wikipedia, is from the equally beloved comedy performer James Dreyfus. Patricia Routledge just said he was a good actor and it was a shame he'd shuffled off.

petril

Quote from: turnstyle on January 04, 2021, 11:25:29 AM
Mrs Turnstyle: Can you help me take the Christmas decorations down?

Me: NO! I'm too busy arguing with someone on the internet about the perceived mass popularity of Keeping up Appearances!

Mrs Turnstyle: That old sitcom with the posh woman?

Me: Yes! Well, she wasn't really posh, it was more a front to try and elevate herself to a higher social status.

Mrs Turnstyle: But...why?

Me: Because in a lot of older British comedy, class and the desire to move up the social ladder was a central component. Think about it. Steptoe and Son, Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers...

Mrs Turnstyle: No, I mean why are you arguing with someone about Keeping up Appearances on the internet?

Me: Because I've lost control of my life.

that Think about it. with the full stop just gives off this utter Male Online energy and it's great.

pigamus

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 03, 2021, 11:44:20 AM
In the credits, Hyacinth rubs a stamp on what appears to be mash potato before sticking it on - is this to improve how it sticks or something? Never heard of this.

Oh I remember wondering this at the time. Is it flowers? Like - to moisten and scent the stamp?

dr beat

I'm guessing Hyacinth would have regarded licking a stamp as vulgar behaviour.

stonkers

Quote from: pigamus on April 07, 2021, 03:16:07 PM
Oh I remember wondering this at the time. Is it flowers? Like - to moisten and scent the stamp?

Isn't it just a stamp sponge, because only the plebs would lick their oikish saliva onto a stamp?

pigamus

Yes you're right, I just checked. It does also look like mashed potato though tbf.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: stonkers on April 07, 2021, 03:27:03 PM
Isn't it just a stamp sponge, because only the plebs would lick their oikish saliva onto a stamp?

I think it's because she writes so many correspondences, missives and invitations that her poor tongue would be drier than an overcooked turkey by the end of them. And having lots of posh stationery items is a thing.

sevendaughters

just watched the Barchester Chronicles and Clive Swift essentially plays the same supine being in that. it's quite an art.

also Patricia Routledge is my mate's godmother and is loaded.

idunnosomename

It is ironic how much more Hyacinth's stamp sponge looks like mashed potato than Badger's mashed potatoes.

I have friends who think Mrs Brown's Boys is comedy gold. Being forced to watch shit comedy and laugh out of politeness is how you find out how thick your friends and family are (even those who are intelligent with other stuff like making a lot of money).