Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BFI player on Prime

Started by Pinball, January 02, 2021, 11:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball

I installed this as an add-on in Prime- 7 days free then £4.99 per month. A lot of nice stuff, including many Japanese movies which suits me fine. I have a sizable BFI collection from back in the day, but many DVD not HD as now. Anyone else partaken?

Chedney Honks

I did for a while last year and it's excellent. Well worth the fiver, anyway.

Zetetic

For anyone wondering, the Amazon thing isn't necessary, you can just do it through the BFI website:
https://player.bfi.org.uk/

steveh

Have subscribed a couple of times for a few months before running out of things to watch. My main complaint is that they aren't very consistent in adding new things, so like this summer there was the Japanese season with a mass of excellent new additions but then for a couple of months in the autumn there was almost nothing new at all. With cinemas not running there have been a few straight-to-BFI-Player additions which is good though.

The quality of some of the older films is a bit variable sometimes. There's some SD ones and at least one has the aspect ratio wrong, like it's been badly ripped from DVD, which isn't what you expect from the BFI. None of them I think have 5.1 sound even when that's how they were produced and they seem to have been universally mastered to a high loudness level so there's no subtlety. Subtitles are also on the video stream rather than separate.

Think there's something like a third overlap with MUBI's library on Amazon and a few films are part of Prime anyway. There seem to be some minor differences between the Amazon channel and subscribing direct plus you don't get access via Amazon to any of the free films. With no general app, if you go direct you're stuck having to play things via a browser. Someone I know who tried both reckoned Amazon were better at consistently delivering streaming video.

Pinball

I'm using an XB1 as a media player with the TV, and the Prime app works well with BFI- no problems with streaming 2 movies last night. There is no separate BFI app in the 'store'.

I agree that there are a lot of Japanese movies, which is great, and some good horror stuff. Not a massive library though, as in solid watching for a few months would clear it. The movies are however a refreshing change from the mainstream B-grade Hollywoody stuff on Netflix and Prime.