Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worms Armageddon

Started by machotrouts, January 03, 2021, 01:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

machotrouts

Do any of you cunts want to play Worms Armageddon. I don't have actual friends

machotrouts

The 1999 game. I downloaded it on Steam last year. It's about worms.

I've only played one person at it online, on two occasions, and I'm not friends with him anymore and in fact I'm not friends with anyone. I played Worms World Party to death on the PS1 as a kid but I haven't fully adapted to the PC controls yet so I'm still sometimes blowing myself up with a bazooka when I want to jump. I'm vulnerable and defeatable, is my selling point.

You can use this thread to ignore me and just talk about Worms Armageddon too if you like. It's a forum innit.

Glebe

Used to play this with me mates and always got hammered.

Famous Mortimer

It's been a while (I remember completing the full challenge series on one of the old Worms games, proud gaming moment), but I'll have a play with you. My Steam name is the "I was bored of typing variants on my name" xxxmortimerxxx.

popcorn

The thinking man's chess. Would love to play it again but never got it working on Mac. One of a handful of games I remain permanently addicted to even though I haven't touched it in years, like alkies giving up the plonk.

Glebe

You'd always dig a couple of worms in deep but then somebody would use one of the heavy weapons and kill them.

evilcommiedictator

It's funny how literally none of the successive Worms games, now with online matchmaking and no need to have people in your house, has failed badly compared to Armageddon.

Remember playing it online with dudes who were amazing with rope skills. That probably didn't help new players ;)

popcorn

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on January 03, 2021, 10:03:03 PM
It's funny how literally none of the successive Worms games, now with online matchmaking and no need to have people in your house, has failed badly compared to Armageddon.

I don't think it's that funny - all the games since have been fucking shite. I remember the franchise souring quickly after WA, with World Party being history's least content-packed sequel, then a sequence of poorly considered spin-offs no one wanted, and in the last few years a series of new 2D games that don't get the physics or graphics right. I remember the head being quite a nasty piece of work too, lashing out at people posting on forums about how rubbish Worms Blast was by saying "you don't know how hard it is to develop video games" etc, as if that was supposed to make them happier with their purchase.

I think partly they were limited by the tech, oddly. They hit on a great formula with Worms 1, then expanded and refined and updated it enormously for Worms 2/Armageddon. The Worms 2/WA graphics really were fantastic at the time, an unusual commitment to 2D sprites and animation when everything else was going 3D. But doing everything in sprites is so much more time-consuming compared to 3D models - you could already see this in WA, where lots of tools and weapons don't have graphics, or just reused old ones -  so T17 were always doomed to switch to a new engine for the later games and they've never recaptured it.

Malcy

I'm up for this. I've been playing 3 different Worms games on Xbox recently so will be good to have a change. Just have to set up Steam and buy the game, which seems to be about £3 at the moment which is great.

Anyone tried the new Worms game that came out recently? I think i read it isn't turn based.

Edit - £2.74 down from £10.99 for the next 20 hours.

Wonderful Butternut

It's a multiplayer platform shooter in real time.

It's decent. Nothing special. Problem I have is you can routinely run into other worms when you respawn who have a powerful weapon whilst you have a pea shooter, and you end up trying to hop around them and hit them with the baseball bat.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Definitely up for some Armageddon! I'm crap but it was the perfect game to jump back into when I had crap internet during the first lockdown

Malcy

Malcy

I've installed it and had a quick go. Haven't played Worms on a PC in a long time and struggling with the controls. Took me far too long to get passed the first couple of training missions and then told the game to fuck off when it gave me a stupid ninja rope thing to do and closed it.

Still up for a match though I don't know how as I've never really used Steam before.

St_Eddie

I'll play a match, providing cross platform multiplayer is doable, as I have the GOG version.

EDIT: I just checked and cross platform multiplayer is indeed enabled, so if someone wants to set a date/time, I'd be happy to play.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Malcy

I still haven't got any practice in on this ( I'm shit hot at worms but not on pc for a long time so don't want to show myself up!) but can we all try come to some sort of agreement on a match?  Can we get 4 of us playing at a time? I have no idea how to do this on Steam so looking for someone who knows what they are doing to get the ball rolling!

Ferris

I have it on the switch if anyone else is Nintendo'd.

popcorn

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 07, 2021, 12:25:22 AM
I have it on the switch if anyone else is Nintendo'd.

got all excited then. But Worms Armageddon is not on Switch. Ferris you IDIOT.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on January 07, 2021, 12:27:06 AM
got all excited then. But Worms Armageddon is not on Switch. Ferris you IDIOT.

Hang about, what do I have then? Some manner of worms game, let me check.

It was Worms WMD. I'm so very sorry.

The Mollusk

I'm pretty sure what you actually did was type "have I got worms" into Web MD and you are now frantically trying to cover your tracks. It's not working.

machotrouts

To start a match, one player must "host": open the game > click "Play over a local area network or the Internet" > click "WormNET" > open the #PartyTime channel > click "Host" and set a name and password. Then the other player(s) go to the same place, select the room with that name, enter the password.

I was PMing Noodle Lizard as he was first to the thread, if everyone else is wondering why I'm snubbing them, BUT we have not successfully arranged a match yet. Should I cheat on him by PMing a different one of you now, or are we organising a big melee in this thread?

You can have up to 6 players in a match! With up to 8 worms each, if you want the map to be absolutely rammed to fuck. I've played matches of 8 of my worms vs 40 allied CPU worms.

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on January 03, 2021, 10:03:03 PMRemember playing it online with dudes who were amazing with rope skills. That probably didn't help new players ;)

This is why I've not even DREAMED of taking on strangers online. They've had 21 years to develop insane alien skills. I've seen footage on YouTube and it's barely recognisable as the same game to me.

St_Eddie

I'm free for the next few hours, machotrouts.  PM me if you want a match.

popcorn

St_Eddie

It's easy to tell Worms Armageddon and Worms WMD apart; one is a bona fide classic and the other is a honking great steaming, over engineered and gimmicky pile of shit, not fit to lick the boots of the former.

St_Eddie

In other, less scathing news; machotrouts and I had our Worms Armageddon match and the end result was... a draw.

Fun times were had by all (two) people though.  Come on then, where are the rest of ya?  Let's be havin' ya.

Crikey, I've suddenly turned into Delia Smith!

machotrouts

More specifically, one match St_Eddie won (2-0, trouncings), followed by one match I won (2-1, skin of my teeth). Thankfully no individual rounds were ties, there was a close one where I could have forced a tie if I was a coward but I tried to win instead, and lost.

It was fun. It's disorientating playing against a human with their own distinct human tactics after all the time I've spent playing against CPU bots, and having to adjust my own tactics accordingly. Humans know to use ninja rope and girders and they chase you around the map. Scary!

Malcy

6 players sounds like great fun but I'll play with however many we can get together.

I'll have a look at the online bit now and see how it all works.

St_Eddie

I was thinking that we should all have one big bumming session... sorry, I mean worming session and that we (or at least those of us who feel confident enough) should all hook up on microphones via Discord whilst we play.  It would be a grand ol' time, I reckon.

Quote from: machotrouts on January 07, 2021, 11:14:22 AM
It's disorientating playing against a human with their own distinct human tactics after all the time I've spent playing against CPU bots, and having to adjust my own tactics accordingly. Humans know to use ninja rope and girders and they chase you around the map. Scary!

Ah ha!  My AI sub-routines are finally fooling the pitiful humans! Yes, I agree.

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2021, 11:21:31 AM
I was thinking that we should all have one big bumming session... sorry, I mean worming session and that we (or at least those of us who feel confident enough) should all hook up on microphones via Discord.  It would be a grand ol' time, I reckon.

Ah ha!  My AI sub-routines are finally fooling the pitiful humans! Yeah, I agree.

I've heard of Discord but that's it. Suppose I should start dragging myself up a bit tech wise!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on January 07, 2021, 11:24:06 AM
I've heard of Discord but that's it. Suppose I should start dragging myself up a bit tech wise!

Please do!  I've played against people on Worms before, whilst simultaneously chatting on Discord and it's a hoot and a holler!  You get to say things like "oh, you incompetent tit" and "you massive bellend" in real-time.  It's brilliant!  No fear of physical repercussions whatsoever!