Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worms Armageddon

Started by machotrouts, January 03, 2021, 01:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

I'm in the part time thing and tried to join a game but got booted out. Probably for not being Russian like the rest of them!

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2021, 11:25:26 AM
Please do!  I've played against people on Worms before, whilst simultaneously chatting on Discord and it's a hoot and a holler!  You get to say things like "oh, you incompetent tit" and "you massive bellend" in real-time.  It's brilliant!  No fear of physical repercussions whatsoever!

Great stuff I'll get Discord up and running at some point today hopefully.

Malcy

Currently in a match and have lost 2 worms and dealt no damage. People are back flipping and using the parachute to lift themselves up!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on January 07, 2021, 11:35:55 AM
...tried to join a game but got booted out. Probably for not being Russian like the rest of them!

Indeed.  That happens a lot.  On days when I'm feeling grumpy, I rejoin their launch room and have a pop at them and instruct them to "learn to host private matches, you thick cunts.  This is a public match, you stupid morons!".  After all, it's considered incredibly poor etiquette to kick people out from a public match without good reason (especially when they suddenly decide to kick you out after you've been waiting patiently for the game to commence for 5 minutes).  Not exactly proper etiquette to scream obscenities at bewildered Russians either, but still...

Quote from: Malcy on January 07, 2021, 11:35:55 AMGreat stuff I'll get Discord up and running at some point today hopefully.

Malcy

Not sure I like this. I'm going to have to put a few hours in first or try plugging in a controller.

popcorn

Urgh well jealous of this. I'm probably going to end up getting a PC in the next few months so please keep playing until then.

What sort of rules are you using? Please don't tell me infinite banana bombs.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on January 07, 2021, 12:01:07 PM
Not sure I like this. I'm going to have to put a few hours in first or try plugging in a controller.

I looked into doing this myself, via a third party key strokes to joypad piece of software but unfortunately it's not really feasible.  You'd be at an extreme disadvantage because you'd be using your analogue stick as a mouse cursor to select weapons, which would take around 3 times as long to select your weapon/item than it would with a mouse.  Not exactly ideal in a game where the clock is ticking.  It would be lovely if Team 17 released a patch to support full controller support, but realistically that's never gonna happen.

Quote from: popcorn on January 07, 2021, 12:05:01 PM
What sort of rules are you using? Please don't tell me infinite banana bombs.

Not on my watch, Sir.  Infinite banana bombs are the cowards way oot.  Infinite blowtorches and fuck all else is my game.  My matches last 14 hours and I win every time because everyone else quits out of boredom.  I am boss at Worms by default.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2021, 12:11:54 PM
I looked into doing this myself, via a third party key strokes to joypad piece of software but unfortunately it's not really feasible.  You'd be at an extreme disadvantage because you'd be using your analogue stick as a mouse cursor to select weapons, which would take around 3 times as long to do than it would with a mouse.

It might work because the game already requires you to move between keyboard (space/enter+arrow keys) and mouse  - not using them simultaneously like a FPS. Maybe you'd just move between mouse and controller instead.

Malcy

First game done. Took nearly half an hr then I just exited after I was out. The map was shite, no one was really in a position to attack each other with the limited weapons there was.

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2021, 12:11:54 PM
I looked into doing this myself, via a third party key strokes to joypad piece of software but unfortunately it's not really feasible.  You'd be at an extreme disadvantage because you'd be using your analogue stick as a mouse cursor to select weapons, which would take around 3 times as long to select your weapon/item than it would with a mouse.  Not exactly ideal in a game where the clock is ticking.  It would be lovely if Team 17 released a patch to support full controller support, but realistically that's never gonna happen.

That's a bollocks. It takes seconds to attack when I play on Xbox. I thought at first that a controller wouldn't be as good as a keyboard and mouse but it turned out to be much easier. Maybe I'm just too used to it now. Think the last one I played on PC was Worms World Party.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on January 07, 2021, 12:17:13 PM
It might work because the game already requires you to move between keyboard (space/enter+arrow keys) and mouse  - not using them simultaneously like a FPS. Maybe you'd just move between mouse and controller instead.

Theoretically that would be possible, yes.  There's a chasm of difference between alternating between mouse/keyboard and joypad/keyboard though, as one has the player with both hands upon both keyboard and mouse at once and the other has you awkwardly switching between the two.

Quote from: Malcy on January 07, 2021, 12:19:27 PM
That's a bollocks. It takes seconds to attack when I play on Xbox. I thought at first that a controller wouldn't be as good as a keyboard and mouse but it turned out to be much easier. Maybe I'm just too used to it now. Think the last one I played on PC was Worms World Party.

It's not bollocks because the XBox version of the game is setup to use the pad as default; the port is literally build around that setup and redesigned from the ground up to support it.  The PC version is setup to use the keyboard and mouse.  In order to use a controller, one has to make use of a third party piece of software to remap the keys and the PC version is not designed to accommodate that.  When you select weapons on the XBox version, I imagine that you can use the d-pad to move around the grid.  You can forget about that if you try it on the PC; you'd literally be emulating the mouse cursor with your analogue stick; slowly positioning it and highlighting the weapon/item you want to select.  It's not realistically workable.

machotrouts

Quote from: popcorn on January 07, 2021, 12:05:01 PMWhat sort of rules are you using? Please don't tell me infinite banana bombs.

My go-to settings, or at least the ones I used with St_Eddie just there, are just 'Intermediate' but with 60 seconds a turn instead of 45, and with dud mines disabled. Anyone who plays me, let me know if you want something different because I'll probably default to that unless otherwise specified! (Dud mines non-negotiable because I hate them. Why is that even a game mechanic. Bewildering)

popcorn

Quote from: machotrouts on January 07, 2021, 12:21:51 PM
(Dud mines non-negotiable because I hate them. Why is that even a game mechanic. Bewildering)

I think the logic is that it gives worms a lucky escape from time to time, but it feels unfair to me because they will just ruin people's plans randomly through no fault of their own. Turn em off.

St_Eddie

Quote from: machotrouts on January 07, 2021, 12:21:51 PM
My go-to settings, or at least the ones I used with St_Eddie just there, are just 'Intermediate' but with 60 seconds a turn instead of 45, and with dud mines disabled. Anyone who plays me, let me know if you want something different because I'll probably default to that unless otherwise specified! (Dud mines non-negotiable because I hate them. Why is that even a game mechanic. Bewildering)

My sole request is; rope knocking!  I feel lost without it.

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2021, 12:20:59 PM
Theoretically that would be possible, yes.  There's a chasm of difference between alternating between mouse/keyboard and joypad/keyboard though, as one has the player with both hands upon both keyboard and mouse at once and the other has you awkwardly switching between the two.

It's not bollocks because the XBox version of the game is setup to use the pad as default; the port is literally build around that setup and redesigned from the ground up to support it.  The PC version is setup to use the keyboard and mouse.  In order to use a controller, one has to make use of a third party piece of software to remap the keys and the PC version is not designed to accommodate that.

Sorry I didn't mean you were talking bollocks, just that it's a shame there's no proper controller support.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on January 07, 2021, 12:30:53 PM
Sorry I didn't mean you were talking bollocks, just that it's a shame there's no proper controller support.

I agree that it's a shame.  The two things which I'd like to see patched within Worms Armageddon are...

1/ Proper controller support.

2/ A ranking system which gives players a rating.  Every time you win a match; 2 points.  Every time you play a match to completion; 1 point.  Every time you quit a match before it's finished; -2 points.  Quitters are a massive problem in online Worms Armageddon.  They are the scum of the Earth.  "Ooohhhh, somebody is beating me. I will quit and waste their time because I am a massive baby!".  People like that need to be flagged for the petulant losers that they are.

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 07, 2021, 12:37:19 PM
I agree that it's a shame.  The two things which I'd like to see patched within Worms Armageddon are...

1/ Proper controller support.

2/ A ranking system which gives players a rating.  Every time you win a match; 2 points.  Every time you play a match to completion; 1 point.  Every time you quit a match before it's finished; -2 points.  Quitters are a massive problem in online Worms Armageddon.  They are the scum of the Earth.  "Ooohhhh, somebody is beating me. I will quit and waste their time because I am a massive baby!".  People like that need to be flagged for the petulant losers that they are.

I don't online game much but this used to be a huge problem in GTA. A friend of mine years ago would yank the controller cord so hard that his PS2 would switch off somehow any time he was losing a racing game!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on January 07, 2021, 12:51:31 PM
I don't online game much but this used to be a huge problem in GTA. A friend of mine years ago would yank the controller cord so hard that his PS2 would switch off somehow any time he was losing a racing game!

I can't stand that sort of thing, I really can't.  It's pathetic behaviour; proper egocentric.  Whenever I'm losing at an online game, I stay until the bitter end.  After all, my opponent deserves the victory which they worked hard to achieve.  Fuck your ego, moron.  Nobody gives a flying fuck about your precious little ego, other than you.  Learn to accept a defeat with humility and acceptance.  It proper pisses me off when stupid little overgrown babies rage quit.  Do they actually think that it somehow negates their loss?  Do they not realise that by quitting it only further reinforces their status as a loser?  Absolutely fucking pathetic behaviour.  Can't stand it.  There's so many damn Trumps playing online games.  Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

On that note, do you know what I used to do when playing Wipeout HD on my PS3?  I got really good at the game (I'm not boasting; it took dozens of hours) and would often find myself playing against a player far below my skill level.  I would purposefully slow down to allow them to catch up, but without making it obvious that I was doing so.  I did so because I wanted them to have a good time and to have a chance of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.  It's called sportsmanship.  I just can't stand egocentric wankers.  Their obsession with protecting their ego from bruises; their selfish nature; seriously, just fuck them.  Cunts, the lot of them.

popcorn

That would be great but would also require them to patch their dodgy network code that used to disconnect people randomly half the bloody time.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Anyone fancy a game tonight?

popcorn

Also, I want to be able to set mine fuses like grenades, and have mine fuse times be visible above mines (which you could hide with a key, like worm names/health). It's unfair to have to get people to check the rules for fuse lengths each time before the game starts, and it's especially unfair when mines set by worms and worms already on the landscape have different fuse lengths but look identical.

billyandthecloneasaurus

PLAYING IN 10 MINS PM ME YOU CUNTS

Malcy

Still haven't played this. When I have the laptop hooked up to the tv with HDMI the game goes really small and no amount of fannying about will get it to go full screen.

Edit - Never mind, it goes full when I start a game.

peanutbutter

It'd be better on both sides imo, as someone who is shit at many many games a hugely offputting part of online gaming is that there doesn't seem to be a universally polite way to be like "well, I'm very obviously ludicrously outmatched in this and it's a waste of both our times"

Would you prefer they just spent 5 minutes suiciding their characters after a few moves?

St_Eddie

Quote from: peanutbutter on January 22, 2021, 08:27:59 PM
It'd be better on both sides imo, as someone who is shit at many many games a hugely offputting part of online gaming is that there doesn't seem to be a universally polite way to be like "well, I'm very obviously ludicrously outmatched in this and it's a waste of both our times"

I was shit at the game when I first started playing.  It's not like I started playing and was instantly brilliant and winning loads of matches.  I lost match after match after match.  Not once did I quit.  I kept playing and slowly improved.  That's how one gets better at a game; learning from your mistakes and adapting, as well as observing the tactics of more skilled players.  There's absolutely no excuse for quitting a match halfway through.  It's poor gaming etiquette and downright rude.

Also, it should be noted that 99% of quitters are people who are doing fine in a match and then they make one, single mistake halfway through and they insta-quit.  It's fuck all to do with them not being skilled enough; it's just a bunch of wankers with bruised egos, who can't handle not playing the "perfect" game or even entertaining the possibility of not winning.

Quote from: peanutbutter on January 22, 2021, 08:27:59 PM
Would you prefer they just spent 5 minutes suiciding their characters after a few moves?

No, because that would be equally obnoxious.  If people are incapable of playing an online match to completion, then they shouldn't play online matches.  Simple as.

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 22, 2021, 09:22:13 PM
I was shit at the game when I first started playing.  It's not like I started playing and was instantly brilliant and winning loads of matches.  I lost match after match after match.  Not once did I quit.  I kept playing and slowly improved.  That's how one gets better at a game; learning from your mistakes and adapting, as well as observing the tactics of more skilled players.  There's absolutely no excuse for quitting a match halfway through.  it's poor gaming etiquette and downright rude.

No, because that would be equally obnoxious.  If people are incapable of playing an online match to completion, then they shouldn't play online matches.  Simple as.

I've played plenty of online gaming matches that just simply weren't fun, or they were glitchy and laggy, or even just I was majorly underlevelled or its a shite pay to win multiplayer. I think it's alright to quit during a game.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 22, 2021, 09:25:17 PM
I've played plenty of online gaming matches that just simply weren't fun, or they were glitchy and laggy, or even just I was majorly underlevelled or its a shite pay to win multiplayer. I think it's alright to quit during a game.

You've just listed a load of qualifiers for quitting online games in general.  It's alright to quit during a game such as Counter-Strike, where you have multiple players dropping in or out of a server, but this is the Worms Armageddon thread; I'm talking about Worms Armageddon.  It's not acceptable behaviour to quit halfway through a match of a game such as Worms Armageddon, where the players are set in stone at the start of the match.  It's just not on.  It ruins the entire match for everyone else, much less when someone quits halfway through a 1v1 game.  There's absolutely no excuse for it.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 22, 2021, 09:27:38 PM
It's alright to quit during a game such as Counter-Strike, where you have multiple players dropping in or out of a server.  It's not acceptable behaviour to quit halfway through a match of a game such as *Worms*, where the players are set in stone at the start of the match.  It's just not on.  It ruins the entire match for everyone else, much less when someone quits halfway through a 1v1 game.  There's absolutely no excuse for it.

I can see both sides. I think it's a tall order to demand someone sit through a glitchy, laggy game, or a game that's just otherwise boring or not fun, when Worms games can take, like, an hour or something. It's an interesting design problem though, there are probably things that could be done about it.

I don't recall ever having fun playing with randos in WA, for a variety of reasons. It was always a very social event with real or online mates, and whose skill levels you knew so people could team up or whatever. Even then I remember the network code being so shite people would drop out unintentionally with irritating regularity.

Is the reason you have all so far failed to chip in towards the purchase of a Windows machine for me to join in because you are all afraid of losing??

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on January 22, 2021, 09:31:57 PM
I can see both sides. I think it's a tall order to demand someone sit through a glitchy, laggy game

Neither of which apply to Worms Armageddon.

Quote from: popcorn on January 22, 2021, 09:31:57 PM...when Worms games can take, like, an hour or something.

The vast majority of matches in Worms Armageddon take around 15 minutes.  Sudden Death, which typically kicks in after 15 minutes, is enabled by default and applies to approximately 95% of online matches.

Quote from: popcorn on January 22, 2021, 09:31:57 PMI don't recall ever having fun playing with randos in WA.

If you did, then I pretty much guarantee that you'd quickly learn why it's a fucking annoyance when idiots quit halfway through a match of Worms Armageddon.  it's a sizeable problem with online matches against strangers and it's absolutely considered to be extremely poor etiquette among the community.  I don't think you appreciate how frustrating and time wasting it is to have quitters RUIN a match halfway through and for it to happen in 1 out of 4 matches.  The two biggest problems in online Worms Armageddon are quitters and racist, foul mouthed trolls.

popcorn

QuoteI don't think you appreciate how frustrating and time wasting it is to have quitters RUIN a match halfway through and for it to happen in one out of four matches.

Why do you think I haven't experienced that? I said I never had much fun playing with randos.

popcorn

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 22, 2021, 09:37:30 PM
Neither of which apply to Worms Armageddon.

Used to be laggy as fuck back in the day, with games often hanging for like 30-60-90 seconds, maybe longer. That bloody network problem icon bouncing up and down. Maybe the netcode is better these days.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on January 22, 2021, 09:41:56 PM
Used to be laggy as fuck back in the day, with games often hanging for like 30-60-90 seconds, maybe longer. That bloody network problem icon bouncing up and down. Maybe the netcode is better these days.

It is.  It doesn't sound like you've played online with strangers in ages.