Author Topic: Worms Armageddon  (Read 5243 times)

Re: Worms Armageddon
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2021, 09:51:14 PM »
Haven't played WA full stop for about 5 years no. As I keep moaning in this thread, got no Windows machine. Can't you people take a hint and set up a charity fund??

The experience of people just bailing out of a game is definitely frustrating (believe me I have experienced this), and I think it is a worthwhile problem to think about. However I don't think the solution is necessarily obvious, and the solution you propose has certain design costs; sometimes people have good reasons for wanting or needing to quit a game, and it might have the effect of discouraging new players for fear of commitment. And while the solution works for other ranked games that are lower-impact in terms of time and lower-cost in terms of quitting, it wouldn't be so straightforward for WA.

I am surprised, I have to say, that WA isn't better supported by T17 at this point. I could see it still being played in relatively large numbers online in the way lots of older PC games are, if they just... tidied it up a bit, came up with solutions to problems like the ragequitting one (because it is a problem), oh and ported it to Mac. Suppose it'd be hard to monetise?

St_Eddie

• St_Eddie's YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2021, 12:25:21 AM »
A well reasoned response, popcorn.  I'm in agreement with pretty much everything you say.  I will just note though that the vast majority of quitters in Worms Armageddon are the rage quitters of which you speak.  I can count them in the hundreds.  I can count people who may have quit for other reasons on both hands and a foot, if that.

billyandthecloneasaurus

• LIVING ROOMS, bedrooms, dinettes, OH yeah!
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2021, 10:31:12 PM »
PLAYING IMMINENTLY , we are quite shit. lemme know if you wanna play xx

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2021, 11:52:17 PM »
This version of Worms makes me want to delete Steam. I really don't like it. It's slow, Worms slide all over the landscape and the weapons are shite. Going to give it a few more tries in the hope that I feel differently but can't be doing with it at all.

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2021, 11:56:26 PM »
which version is that?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

• Oh it's a whole flock of detectives
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2021, 09:23:39 AM »
PLAYING IMMINENTLY , we are quite shit. lemme know if you wanna play xx

I keep seeing these a day late. You fancy a game in the week?

MojoJojo

• Between a cow college and a MetaLab.
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2021, 10:43:04 AM »
I am surprised, I have to say, that WA isn't better supported by T17 at this point. I could see it still being played in relatively large numbers online in the way lots of older PC games are, if they just... tidied it up a bit, came up with solutions to problems like the ragequitting one (because it is a problem), oh and ported it to Mac. Suppose it'd be hard to monetise?

They're still updating it (although mostly only bug fixes at this point) which is pretty impressive for a 20+ year old game. In terms of actually new content - they released Worms WMD in 2016, which went back to Armageddon for it's core gameplay. It generally gets good reviews but I've never known anyone to play it.

(it's £20 on Steam - but it might be heavily discounted in a sale so I'm going to watch it)

St_Eddie

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2021, 05:53:57 PM »
In terms of actually new content - they released Worms WMD in 2016, which went back to Armageddon for it's core gameplay. It generally gets good reviews but I've never known anyone to play it.

I own a copy.  It's decent but the problem is the titular weapons of mass destruction; there's turrets and tanks scattered around the map, which the player can make use of and these weapons/vehicles have their own health bar.  It overcomplicates things; losing the purity of the traditional Worms match in the process.  That's the issue with all of the subsequent games in the series after Worms Armageddon; they had already perfected the formula, so each sequel is now just trying to reinvent the wheel, or in the case of Team 17's latest effort; trying to appeal to the prepubescent Fortnite crowd (fucking floss dance and all).

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2021, 12:25:19 PM »
Finally got a PC and I'm gagging to shove some banana bombs up yer bumholes. Anyone still playing this?

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2021, 12:27:18 PM »
No, get a Switch grandad.

St_Eddie

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2021, 01:52:26 PM »
Finally got a PC and I'm gagging to shove some banana bombs up yer bumholes. Anyone still playing this?

I am, popcorn.  I'll destroy you play against you sometime.

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2021, 01:57:17 PM »
Ace. Well what with this bloody pandemic and everything I'm free most evenings from about 6pm UK time.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2021, 01:59:04 PM »
Can’t believe neither of you grandads have got switches lmao

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2021, 02:16:04 PM »
I've got one but I sent it to a friend in Germany because it is boring.

St_Eddie

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2021, 04:09:21 PM »
I've got one but I sent it to a friend in Germany because it is boring.

What's so boring about Germany?

madhair60

• わたしは価値がないと感じます
  • Golden Member
  • ほっといてくれ
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2021, 09:28:43 PM »

Boehring.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2021, 09:46:59 PM »

Hamburg.

« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2021, 12:46:21 PM »
PLAY WORMS WITH ME YOU BASTARDS

machotrouts

• Twitter
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2021, 02:04:58 PM »
I'm available now and indeed most waking hours of my shitty little pointless vermin life

Tags: