Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:08:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Worms Armageddon

Started by machotrouts, January 03, 2021, 01:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Haven't played WA full stop for about 5 years no. As I keep moaning in this thread, got no Windows machine. Can't you people take a hint and set up a charity fund??

The experience of people just bailing out of a game is definitely frustrating (believe me I have experienced this), and I think it is a worthwhile problem to think about. However I don't think the solution is necessarily obvious, and the solution you propose has certain design costs; sometimes people have good reasons for wanting or needing to quit a game, and it might have the effect of discouraging new players for fear of commitment. And while the solution works for other ranked games that are lower-impact in terms of time and lower-cost in terms of quitting, it wouldn't be so straightforward for WA.

I am surprised, I have to say, that WA isn't better supported by T17 at this point. I could see it still being played in relatively large numbers online in the way lots of older PC games are, if they just... tidied it up a bit, came up with solutions to problems like the ragequitting one (because it is a problem), oh and ported it to Mac. Suppose it'd be hard to monetise?

St_Eddie

A well reasoned response, popcorn.  I'm in agreement with pretty much everything you say.  I will just note though that the vast majority of quitters in Worms Armageddon are the rage quitters of which you speak.  I can count them in the hundreds.  I can count people who may have quit for other reasons on both hands and a foot, if that.

billyandthecloneasaurus

PLAYING IMMINENTLY , we are quite shit. lemme know if you wanna play xx

Malcy

This version of Worms makes me want to delete Steam. I really don't like it. It's slow, Worms slide all over the landscape and the weapons are shite. Going to give it a few more tries in the hope that I feel differently but can't be doing with it at all.

popcorn

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on January 23, 2021, 10:31:12 PM
PLAYING IMMINENTLY , we are quite shit. lemme know if you wanna play xx

I keep seeing these a day late. You fancy a game in the week?

MojoJojo

Quote from: popcorn on January 22, 2021, 09:51:14 PM
I am surprised, I have to say, that WA isn't better supported by T17 at this point. I could see it still being played in relatively large numbers online in the way lots of older PC games are, if they just... tidied it up a bit, came up with solutions to problems like the ragequitting one (because it is a problem), oh and ported it to Mac. Suppose it'd be hard to monetise?

They're still updating it (although mostly only bug fixes at this point) which is pretty impressive for a 20+ year old game. In terms of actually new content - they released Worms WMD in 2016, which went back to Armageddon for it's core gameplay. It generally gets good reviews but I've never known anyone to play it.

(it's £20 on Steam - but it might be heavily discounted in a sale so I'm going to watch it)

St_Eddie

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 25, 2021, 10:43:04 AM
In terms of actually new content - they released Worms WMD in 2016, which went back to Armageddon for it's core gameplay. It generally gets good reviews but I've never known anyone to play it.

I own a copy.  It's decent but the problem is the titular weapons of mass destruction; there's turrets and tanks scattered around the map, which the player can make use of and these weapons/vehicles have their own health bar.  It overcomplicates things; losing the purity of the traditional Worms match in the process.  That's the issue with all of the subsequent games in the series after Worms Armageddon; they had already perfected the formula, so each sequel is now just trying to reinvent the wheel, or in the case of Team 17's latest effort; trying to appeal to the prepubescent Fortnite crowd (fucking floss dance and all).

popcorn

Finally got a PC and I'm gagging to shove some banana bombs up yer bumholes. Anyone still playing this?

Ferris

No, get a Switch grandad.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on March 09, 2021, 12:25:19 PM
Finally got a PC and I'm gagging to shove some banana bombs up yer bumholes. Anyone still playing this?

I am, popcorn.  I'll destroy you play against you sometime.

popcorn

Ace. Well what with this bloody pandemic and everything I'm free most evenings from about 6pm UK time.

Ferris

Can't believe neither of you grandads have got switches lmao

popcorn

I've got one but I sent it to a friend in Germany because it is boring.

St_Eddie

Quote from: popcorn on March 09, 2021, 02:16:04 PM
I've got one but I sent it to a friend in Germany because it is boring.

What's so boring about Germany?

madhair60

Ferris

popcorn

PLAY WORMS WITH ME YOU BASTARDS

machotrouts

I'm available now and indeed most waking hours of my shitty little pointless vermin life