Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,323
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:23:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Re: Graham Chapman- Easily The Python Who'd Be The Most Fun On A Night Out?

Started by Replies From View, January 02, 2021, 12:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Chapman was the best actor of the group.  I wish I was better at detecting his writing style within the Cleese-Chapman offerings.  Cleese obviously had his gripes within the pairing, felt Chapman wasn't pulling his weight once he had collapsed into alcoholism, but this can't always have been the case.

I'd love to have a stronger sense of what Chapman brought as a writer to the Python collaboration.  Does anyone know what has been specifically credited to him?

It's a shame this thread is in HS Art now, but there you go.

PlanktonSideburns

whats that tv special where he's ranting at the camera for ages

thats really great, can someone link to that

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on January 02, 2021, 12:59:34 PM
Chapman was the best actor of the group.  I wish I was better at detecting his writing style within the Cleese-Chapman offerings.  Cleese obviously had his gripes within the pairing, felt Chapman wasn't pulling his weight once he had collapsed into alcoholism, but this can't always have been the case.

I'd love to have a stronger sense of what Chapman brought as a writer to the Python collaboration.  Does anyone know what has been specifically credited to him?

Cleese was writing a sketch about a customer returning a faulty item to a shop.
Chapman said the item should be a dead parrot.

I think that's how the partnership worked: Cleese would have a rough outline and do 80-90% of the writing around that, then Chapman would make it sillier (and, dare I say it, more 'Pythonesque').

Jake Thingray

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 02, 2021, 01:09:34 PM
whats that tv special where he's ranting at the camera for ages

thats really great, can someone link to that

Is this what you mean? From the early days of Channel Four. Chapman was well suited to C4's early days ethos, another reason to despise the O2 show is it was televised by Murdoch's Evil Galactic Empire.

Shaky

That's great, thanks for sharing. Presumably Chapman wrote it with David Sherlock, going by the credits?