Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2021

Started by dr beat, January 03, 2021, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Always difficult to compare eras, but if you think of the drive he and Ray Reardon had, their enthusiasm to bring the game on, try new things, and win everything going, they would surely be doing the same today, albeit with tougher baseline competition in the early rounds of tournaments.

Flouncer

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 04, 2021, 08:07:24 AM
What the hell is Big Ig doing among the seniors?

I thought they had to be 45 or over to enter, but Ig is only 43 so either I've misremembered or they've changed it.

Quote from: EOLAN on May 04, 2021, 10:14:14 AM
Oh Igor is in the Seniors? Great stuff. Hope I don't curse him by supporting him for this. Thought it be on Eurosport app. Can't get BBC online coverage in Ireland. Being shown anywhere else?

All it says on this blog is BBC and Zhibo TV in China.

Apparently Cliff Thorburn and Tony Drago were due to play but they couldn't get over here because of covid restrictions!

The Culture Bunker

I might have misheard last night, but I think during the BBC coverage of the final last night, the presenter mentioned this Seniors tournament would be shown via iPlayer. Not sure if that's any use if you're in Ireland.

druss

Ronnie should enter for a laugh and batter them all.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: druss on May 04, 2021, 01:10:54 PM
Ronnie should enter for a laugh and batter them all.

I think every top 30 professional currently aged over 40 should enter and annihilate them. I want to see those  codgers bloodied and battered on the floor of the arena. I want to see Joe Johnson broken in half.

buttgammon

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on May 04, 2021, 12:59:28 PM
I might have misheard last night, but I think during the BBC coverage of the final last night, the presenter mentioned this Seniors tournament would be shown via iPlayer. Not sure if that's any use if you're in Ireland.

Yeah, we're proxy-bound, and most of those don't work too well for iPlayer any more sadly. How sad Ken Doherty's homeland is being deprived of his snooker.

Blue Jam

Just bought Ronnie's cookbook (on Kindle). Need to get healthy, been getting bored of smoothies and needed some new, healthy recipes that will make me feel full instead of hungry all the fucking time and thought "Dietary advice in the context of snooker? Yeah, I'll probably actually read that". The recipes look a bit basic but mostly in that they're simple and quick to prepare, seems pretty decent tbh.

It's got a recipe for chocolate porridge. Think this is my kind of healthy eating. Cheers Ronnie (and Rhiannon).

BlodwynPig

QuoteWhite faces Tony Knowles, while Hendry plays Patsy Fagan in the last 16.

were there qualifiers for this?

sevendaughters

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 04, 2021, 05:03:04 PM

were there qualifiers for this?

covid test and basic DBS check

Norton Canes

To be considerably less proficient at snooker than 20 years ago

druss

Anyone done this nickname quiz? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/50479158

Most were quite easy. The one that really got me was "The Wonder Bairn" as I have never once heard this man called this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Not exactly a difficult one given you can get about 9 of them by just naming the most successful players. I didn't get The Angry Farmer, got the rest. I remember The Wonder Bairn, actually.

Blue Jam

Just made some healthy raspberry jam from a recipe in a book with a snooker player on the cover. What a time to be alive.

Gonna make Ronnie's healthy pizza now. Will report back. I bet it's nicer than Frankie Dettori's.

Blue Jam

...fair do's Ronjo, this is pretty damn tasty:

Jam to be eaten separately.

BlodwynPig

Looks great but isnt that just a classic pizza. Healthier than a dominoes but...?

EOLAN

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 04, 2021, 05:49:17 PM
Not exactly a difficult one given you can get about 9 of them by just naming the most successful players. I didn't get The Angry Farmer, got the rest. I remember The Wonder Bairn, actually.
Got them all except for Captain UKIP. Only got the Wonder of Bairn as it was referenced numerous times in his Williams loss. Never heard it before that.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 04, 2021, 08:09:00 PM
Looks great but isnt that just a classic pizza. Healthier than a dominoes but...?

The dough is 250g of flour, 250g of low-fat yogurt, a bit of salt and a bit of baking powder. Recipe calls for wholemeal flour but I was using up what we had in. Topping is passata, baby plum tomatoes, basil, dried herbs and not too much cheese (used cheddar instead of mozzarella because I prefer it). No oil whatsoever. Tasted nothing like a naan and because of the protein from the yogurt it was surprsingly filling without being stodgy. Not remotely greasy either. Recipe made two so that's tomorrow's lunch sorted. It was a piece of piss to make as well, will definitely be making this again.

Credit to Rhiannon Lambert for the recipes, Ronnie for the motivational words.

The list of snooker player nicknames on Wikipedia is always good for a laugh. Except some of the Chinese ones, which seem a bit racist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snooker_player_nicknames

mippy

Petition to change "The Thunder from Down Under" to "Snookerdoodle"

Flouncer

Darren Morgan has just gone 2-0 up against Lee Walker. Taylor and Virgo on the commentary - I'd been spared JV's dulcet tones during the World Championship, having opted for Eurosport this year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Even the referee seems to have been exhumed.

Flouncer

Leo Scullion! He's got to be the oldest ref currently on the circuit. Michaela Tabb was doing it last year.

sevendaughters

just emptied my bank account and put it on Patsy Fagan to win the World Seniors, should be easy as he's the oldest!

druss

Quote from: Flouncer on May 06, 2021, 01:03:38 PM
Leo Scullion! He's got to be the oldest ref currently on the circuit.
I think he's the bloke Ronnie told to get his eyes tested.

Flouncer

I can't believe there hasn't been more enthusiasm on here, for watching a load of old farts struggling to make a 30 break. Shame on you all!

druss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usCfqD2_1tY

This is what the youth want. Tim Westwood tribute acts.

Blue Jam

Quote from: druss on May 07, 2021, 10:49:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usCfqD2_1tY

This is what the youth want. Tim Westwood tribute acts.

BRIZZLE FO' SHIZZLE

(who else clicked that expecting another video of Peter Devlin rapping about working class people?)

sevendaughters

their attempts to be snooker influencers are so craven that they might just work

EOLAN

Quote from: Flouncer on May 07, 2021, 10:26:21 AM
I can't believe there hasn't been more enthusiasm on here, for watching a load of old farts struggling to make a 30 break. Shame on you all!

One of my favourite frames was Hendry beating White with a highest break of 7 (on the last pot) in the Qualifiers.

DocDaneeka

Ken Docherty white washes Joe Johnson who frankly deserved it for his ostentatious Gold Rolex and Apple Watch on the same arm look.