Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:46:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2021

Started by dr beat, January 03, 2021, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flouncer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 11, 2021, 12:19:28 PM
Now the Seniors are done the final event of the season is the Warburton's National Front Classic in Cap De L'Horta.

Lucky for Ali Carter his groupies 'Carter's Crohn's' are already there having wintered on the Costa Del Mischief.

There's so many ranking events these days it's hard to keep up with them. Of course after the Classic, the first event of the 21/22 season is the Arconic Cladding Cup down at the Stool Exchange in Bognor Regis. Ronnie's already pulled out; he swore he'd never play there again after the incident last year when he vommed all over Jan Verhaas because of the stench. Bingham loved it though - said it was the best venue he'd ever played in.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Graeme Dott's piece on the bbc is bleak, that guy has his own gravitational orbit of deso. If there's one person I hope doesn't make a comeback it's him. Operation Turdflush is still Mid-mission.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 13, 2021, 10:01:19 PM
Graeme Dott's piece on the bbc is bleak, that guy has his own gravitational orbit of deso. If there's one person I hope doesn't make a comeback it's him. Operation Turdflush is still Mid-mission.

it's assembled from his appearance on the This Sporting Life podcast, which was a pretty good listen once the interviewer realises that Dott doesn't really do specifics of matches very well.

I'm a huge fan of Dott, I guess. He isn't going to be top 16 again, but I hugely respect what he had to battle against to get anywhere in the game.

druss

Yeah I'm a fan of Dott as well. Amazing that he has been in 3 world finals and won one of them, far more talented players haven't achieved anywhere near what he has.

I was thinking this year after Murphy was runner up how amazing it would have been if it had been Stevens who had won in 2005. Murphy would now be a 4 time runner up and would be catching up with Jimmy White as the biggest loser in snooker. Shame.

Blue Jam

Will Mark Selby be joining Leicester City on their team bus again?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 15, 2021, 07:19:53 PM

John Terry has taken his seat.

kidney

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 15, 2021, 07:19:53 PM

If he hasn't sent a banterous gloating message to Chelsea fan Neil "Robbo" Robertson he really should be stripped of his Jester title.

Blue Jam

Only saw this today but it looks like it's been out a month already: hot on the heels of Ronnie's cookbook, here's Steve Davis and Kavus Torabi on their beautiful friendship:

https://www.whiterabbitbooks.co.uk/titles/steve-davis/medical-grade-music/9781474619509/

Probably more Interesting than Willie Thorne and Gary Lineker's Best Of Friends too!

Quote"I couldn't get past the intro"

- Barry Hearn

druss

Mark Allen bankrupt apparently and taking a break from the game, full article is behind a pay wall. Gambling?

Blue Jam

Quote from: druss on May 23, 2021, 01:18:36 PM
Mark Allen bankrupt apparently and taking a break from the game, full article is behind a pay wall. Gambling?

Bit of goss here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/northernireland/comments/nhy7y5/in_todays_bankruptcy_section_of_the_belfast/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

Rumours about divorce, and apparently he opened a snooker club which didn't survive the pandemic. There might be something in the speculation about child support payments to Reanne Evans for their daughter, it looks like things really have been getting ugly there:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bbc-pundit-booted-snooker-after-24003332

"A distraction". Ooof.

EOLAN

After winning the first two rounds in Q-School, Tony Knowles gets knocked out last night in a last  frame decider. Still a couple more events to go for him. Not usually keep track of Q-school but I assume in a normal year recently there may be a higher volume of international and particularly Chinese participants

Flouncer

Quote from: EOLAN on May 31, 2021, 10:33:43 AM
After winning the first two rounds in Q-School, Tony Knowles gets knocked out last night in a last  frame decider. Still a couple more events to go for him. Not usually keep track of Q-school but I assume in a normal year recently there may be a higher volume of international and particularly Chinese participants

Have you just read about that or is there a way to watch it? I'd be well up for watching some more old farts.

EOLAN

Quote from: Flouncer on May 31, 2021, 12:44:05 PM
Have you just read about that or is there a way to watch it? I'd be well up for watching some more old farts.

Don't think there any video or audio coverage. Just go to World Snooker tour website and can get live updates like in the old teletext days.

sevendaughters

Jackson Page, Yuan Sijun, Fraser Patrick, and Peter "Hard" Lines get the first Q School rights to slack off for 2 years tour cards for the next 2 seasons.

Blue Jam

Nice to see Jackson Page get through. Mark Williams will be overjoyed to have his Nando's buddy back for another two years.

sevendaughters

glad that two of them are pretty young, no diss to Knowles and Lawler and that lot but not exactly clamouring to see them regain their card. Knowles did win two matches but his best break was 38. not really familiar with Page but he looks a prospect, still 19, beaten Lisowski and some other decent names of late.

Blue Jam

Page is Mark Williams' protégé as well as his partner-in-ledging.

sevendaughters

Q School 2 (of 3) has started today. Nothing very notable in round 1 as it is very obscure players who start off. Always like to read up on the non-Brits to see if there's anything of interest there. Daniel Kandi of Denmark won a game in the last Q School and has won today. He's got 40k followers on Twitter and is better known in Europe as a trance DJ and mate of Armin van Buuren.

sevendaughters

and and 14-year old Stan Moody just beat 17 year old Johnnie Bates 4-0, all four frames 50+ breaks! You can't give booze to t'baby have a 14 year old on tour!

FredNurke

If Bates says 'Miracleman', we're all in trouble.

sevendaughters

Rebecca Kenna won her opener at Q School. Ghoulish part of me wants her to qualify and play Mark Allen.

Peter Geronimo won his first frames at this level - he qualifies for Q School through the WPBSA through their disability tour and has struggled in the past against able-bodied players. Anyway, he lost 4-3 today, so good effort.

Tony Knowles went down 4-1 in the first round.

sevendaughters

getting down to the sharper end of Q School 2. Vahedi (IRAN) beat Sharav (ISRAEL) today. I guess the Iranian sports authorities don't give a shit.

going to make predictions of those that will prevail from each quarter of the draw (four cards available per event)

TOP QUARTER: old men Lawler and Pinches still in but one might take the other out if Pinches gets past Michael White. I'm going to predict Harvey Chandler.

SECOND QUARTER: would like to have Julien Leclerq come through and I know a lot of people are excited about young Ulsterman Robbie McGuigan, but I predict the winner of Luo Honghao and Craig Steadman.

THIRD QUARTER: I am desperate for Soheil Vahedi to make amends for his WC quals disaster but he has a tough task later against Michael Judge. The winner will produce the card winner.

FINAL QUARTER: Hardest to predict as not all brackets are settled, but Michael Georgiou and James Cahill are in decent nick and will stay apart until the decider. I'll take MG.

Blue Jam

K-Hole has gone back to Q-School already? Awww that's a shame. Think he was a one-hit wonder then?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 06, 2021, 02:56:43 PM
K-Hole has gone back to Q-School already? Awww that's a shame. Think he was a one-hit wonder then?

looks like! he's in a scrap against a Maltese no name at the moment too.

sevendaughters

Not an inspiring bunch of qualifiers from Q School 2 then: Michael Judge (46) and Alfie Burden (44) are through. Barry Pinches (50) leads Sanderson Lam (27) and Craig Steadman (38) leads Hammad Miah (27).

sevendaughters

Pinches and Steadman confirmed.

Q School 3 starts tomorrow (4 more cards available). 2 additional cards for the most consistent performers (frames won) across the 3 events who don't win a card outright. Georgiou, Duane Jones, and K Hole in the mix for those.

sevendaughters

Knowleswatch: he gets through Rd 1 of Q School 3 by beating 44-year-old stripling Garry Coulson 4-0.

He faces Ryan Roberts (20) in round 2 tomorrow night.

sevendaughters

Knowles wins again - 4-3 against Roberts.

sevendaughters

Q SCHOOL 3 RD2 IN BRIEF

THROUGH!
- Vahedi!
- K Hole!
- Seniors champ David Lilley!
- Luke "Son of Barry" Pinches!

OUT!
- Alfie "Son of Stephen" Lee!
- Lee "No Relation just a similar name" Stephens!

ON THE BRINK!
- Rebecca Kenna (3-2 down)

Blue Jam

Thanks for the updates sevendaughters, not got much to add except that I appreciate them.