Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:00:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2021

Started by dr beat, January 03, 2021, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 21, 2021, 08:55:57 PM
Slessor is executioner tier bald.

Slessor's little chinstrap beard lends him shades of Eavis as well. Upside-down head man.

Ledge's ginger goatee is more Villainous Simon Pegg.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Slessor has a Help for Heroes insignia emblem outside his property. '23 Heroes Gardens'.

Blue Jam

I hope Sharter had been planning to spend his maximum break prize on a five-day blueberry and fizzy water bender and now can't because of the Brexit he voted for.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Maybe projection but the match referee always looks way more involved than the others. Lots going on in the eye department.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ledge cleaning up here like nobody's business. Bye Sellsooelsors mate

Blue Jam

"A couple of big scalps"

Bit harsh there Jill

Blue Jam

I had been considering putting a quid on Jimmy Robertson, thinking about how the Nando's chicken shortage has caused lots of branches to close and the effect this may have had on Mark's mental state, but nah...

https://mobile.twitter.com/markwil147/status/1429138868310351875

..."adopt, adapt and improve" and all that.

mippy

Is Ali C a bad'un, then?

Blue Jam

Quote from: mippy on August 21, 2021, 11:00:52 PM
Is Ali C a bad'un, then?

He's a bit UKIP. Brexit Nathan Barley.

mippy

All I know of him was that he shoulder-barged Ronnie.

Flouncer

He's an aggressive little twat - he always seems really sullen when he loses, and he gets arsey about it if the run of the ball goes against him during a match. Just seems a generally unpleasant individual. He's had a lot of challenges with his health; he has Chrohn's disease and is a cancer survivor. Whether that's anything to do with it or not I don't know, but he comes across as being really bitter.

Blue Jam

Jack Lisowski is also a cancer survivor and he doesn't act like Carter.

I mentioned upthread that thing of Allen and Evans both refusing to watch the table when their opponent was on it and how that was the kind of thing Carter would do. That's because he was refusing to look at Ronnie on the table during the match with the shoulder-barge incident. Just making a show of disrespect but without the excuse of Ronnie owing him child support.

EOLAN

I thought that Allen and Evans turning away was a bit respectful. Mainly Noticed it when Allen had a shot staring down towards Reanne. Would have seemed a good old stare down given the mental baggage would have been a good way to put him off his shot.

Blue Jam

Sori Gwlad, I am totally Team Gary here. C'mon you sparkly-shoed ledge.

jobotic

Where are you watching this? I mean, which channel?

Well it's finished now, but it was on ITV4.

sevendaughters

season is structured weirdly. they had the Champions League over the fortnight before the British Open, which just concluded. This week is the NI Open Quals and then 4 weeks off before the English Open in Barnsley.

EOLAN

Quote from: sevendaughters on August 23, 2021, 10:56:41 AM
season is structured weirdly. they had the Champions League over the fortnight before the British Open, which just concluded. This week is the NI Open Quals and then 4 weeks off before the English Open in Barnsley.

Turkish Open was main tournament in the gap but had to be pulled.

sevendaughters

Quote from: EOLAN on August 23, 2021, 11:16:42 AM
Turkish Open was main tournament in the gap but had to be pulled.

ah right. maybe they can do something on OnlyFans.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/58301127

One for misleading headlines. Shock as Mark Williams didn't win a tournament that didn't exist for 17 years.

Blue Jam

Much like his similarly comb-overed namesake, Trump is going to Atlantic City... for the US Open Pool Championship:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/58414917

tbh I would actually watch this is it was televised.

Flouncer

I like a bit of 9-ball; it's a lovely game to watch. Haven't seen any for years. I would imagine that Trump's foray into it will go about as well as Ronnie and Steve Davis managed; they got a few victories but pretty much got thrashed by the better players. Although it's a much simpler game than snooker, the top level players are very good at it, and it's a savage, cut-throat game. I assume they're still using the format where the winner of the previous frame breaks - a good player can string together several frames in a very short time and overwhelm their opponent. If you're not used to the conditions and aren't well versed in the finer points of the game, you're easy pickings for someone who's been playing for years. I think if a good snooker player properly devoted themselves to it they could become very successful at it in a fairly short space of time, but it would be a case of focusing on pool to the exclusion of snooker and nobody has been prepared to do that so far. My prediction would be that Trumpy goes out in the first round and comes back to the UK with his tail between his legs.

sevendaughters

the article (badly explained, given the dozens of pool variants) suggests it might be 8-ball as Darren Appleton is our big name in 8-ball. I think Trump has a shout of winning something. I watched a vid of US pool player Shayne van Bohnen playing in a Russian Pyramid match against a mid-level player and once he figured it out he started to look good.

Flouncer

Hmm, I'm pretty sure it is 9-ball as the US Open is a famous 9-ball tournament. It is a really poor article.

sevendaughters

looked it up - yes, it is 9-ball. interesting decision by Trump then, as you say, they're different beasts as sports. Double elimination format, so he's got a life if he loses a match. I'd back him to beat some players, but he might get bang-bang against a couple of lifers.

EOLAN

Happened to watch the Color of Money yesterday, basically based around this tournament.

Main takeaway was how massive the tables were. Could play a big bounce going down the side cushion and still easily get into the corner pocket.

sevendaughters

yeah I play Virtual Pool 4 quite a bit. it's quite easy to make long banks too because you just have to knock the ball into a general area if the pocket is open. on the flip side it is far easier to go in off, leave things on, and harder to play safe.

Flouncer

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 06, 2021, 01:22:15 PM
looked it up - yes, it is 9-ball. interesting decision by Trump then, as you say, they're different beasts as sports. Double elimination format, so he's got a life if he loses a match. I'd back him to beat some players, but he might get bang-bang against a couple of lifers.

Apparently there's a field of 256 players! Given that, he might be able to make some headway but I'd be very surprised to see him get to the business end of the event.

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 05, 2021, 02:04:05 PMtbh I would actually watch this is it was televised.

From what I can gather it's only available to us on matchroom.live - I'm considering chucking Bazza & Son a fiver for a monthly pass so I can watch it, not so much for Trumpy but just to see some 9-ball. It's a fun game to watch.

sevendaughters

Trump wins round 1 9-0. Dunno if his opponent was anyone or just a guy who paid the entrance fee, but the highlights are on YouTube. Trump looked good.

Flouncer

Ah, that Magee dude - I did have a look at the draw a few days ago; the only google results I found for Magee were in articles about the Trump match so I assumed he was just some buster. Surprised to hear he got thrashed by such a wide margin though. I'll check out the highlights!

Edit: Trump is apparently playing Dhruvalkumar Patel today, another unknown by the looks of things - seems like the Trumpster will have a fairly easy route through the first round. It'll be interesting to see him come up against a seasoned player. Fingers crossed he gets drawn against Earl Strickland (who won his first match 9-1) at some point!