Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:23:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2021

Started by dr beat, January 03, 2021, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

It was on Eurosport last night. Missed Trump but saw a bit of Van Whatsisname and a Canadian/Philippino favourite. Good fun for a bit but gets a bit dull.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Flouncer on September 14, 2021, 09:10:18 AM
Ah, that Magee dude - I did have a look at the draw a few days ago; the only google results I found for Magee were in articles about the Trump match so I assumed he was just some buster. Surprised to hear he got thrashed by such a wide margin though. I'll check out the highlights!

Edit: Trump is apparently playing Dhruvalkumar Patel today, another unknown by the looks of things - seems like the Trumpster will have a fairly easy route through the first round. It'll be interesting to see him come up against a seasoned player. Fingers crossed he gets drawn against Earl Strickland (who won his first match 9-1) at some point!

Patel has a nice trickshot Instagram but no indication of results or game sense.

Blue Jam

How much is the entrance fee? I could be tempted if it meant I'd get to play a few frames with Judd and check out his hairline up close.

Blue Jam

Quote from: jobotic on September 14, 2021, 09:18:55 AM
It was on Eurosport last night. Missed Trump but saw a bit of Van Whatsisname and a Canadian/Philippino favourite. Good fun for a bit but gets a bit dull.

Ah cheers, might check it out. Can't find it on catch-up, is it only being show live?

I see Eurosport are showing the English Open qualifiers from Sunday, bit of a heads-up there.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 14, 2021, 10:09:09 AM
How much is the entrance fee? I could be tempted if it meant I'd get to play a few frames with Judd and check out his hairline up close.

think it was like £600 but you have to stay at the resort it takes place in, bit of a con, but also yeah combing strategies.

jobotic

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 14, 2021, 10:11:08 AM
Ah cheers, might check it out. Can't find it on catch-up, is it only being show live?

I see Eurosport are showing the English Open qualifiers from Sunday, bit of a heads-up there.

Dunno, sorry. I just stumbled upon it as I was flicking through the channels before I went to bed. It was live (I think).

I liked it but it's not as good as the billiards they showed that seemed to be in an underground car park with flimsy partitions around the tables and the referees sitting on school chairs that was on last year. With the camera too close.

jobotic

In nine ball if you knock the 9 ball in off the break is that it? You win the frame?

sevendaughters

Quote from: jobotic on September 14, 2021, 10:41:11 AM
In nine ball if you knock the 9 ball in off the break is that it? You win the frame?

yep. you have to hit the lowest numbered ball, but if it drops the nine at any point you're good. if you, for instance, shoot the 1 onto the 3 and it goes in but the 1 doesn't, you stay on the table.

jobotic

Thanks

It seems more fun to play than watch. Well, not for me because I'm fucking dreadful at anything with a cue, but in principle.

sevendaughters

I think there are better pool variants to play but am generally in favour of all cue sports. Wish I had someone to play cowboy with (no euph).

Blue Jam

Watching last night's action on YouTube now:

https://youtu.be/VFfuB-6lvr4

Marcel! Looks all wrong in a lairy polyester fitba shirt though. Someone get him a bowtie ASAP.

Also Caesar's lighting isn't being too kind to Judd:

R A V A G E D

Blue Jam

This American commentator keeps mentioning "snucker". What the fuck's that then?

https://youtu.be/A2g6D6Ki_-Y

sevendaughters

Flouncer

Trump currently on the hill 10-5 up against Abdullah Al-Shammari, who isn't playing well and has given Trump a lot of easy chances (including an absolute howler of a foul giving away ball in hand on the 9-ball).

buttgammon

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 14, 2021, 08:38:09 PM
This American commentator keeps mentioning "snucker". What the fuck's that then?

https://youtu.be/A2g6D6Ki_-Y

Anthony Bourdain pronounced it that way in an episode of Parts Unknown. I liked him but that made my skin crawl; it might have been the episode with AA Gill so there was another reason to be disgusted.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Flouncer on September 15, 2021, 06:47:40 PM
Trump currently on the hill 10-5 up against Abdullah Al-Shammari, who isn't playing well and has given Trump a lot of easy chances (including an absolute howler of a foul giving away ball in hand on the 9-ball).

against fellow Brit Jayson Shaw in rd 4, think that is later today too

sevendaughters

oh they're playing NOW and Shaw is 3-0 up already.

Blue Jam

Where are you all watching this please? Been watching catch-up on YouTube, nowt on Eurosport.

sevendaughters

I'm watching another table on youtube, not got the ducats to stream it on DAZN

sevendaughters

also Shaw is taking Trump to pool school, it's 7-0.

Blue Jam

buttgammon

I have it on Sky Sports Mix - turned it on just in time to watch Trump get a kicking!

sevendaughters

ouch, 11-1. Trump is still in but needs to win 3 to get to the last 16 by the backdoor. Lose again and he's back to Toni & Guy.

Blue Jam

In his first round match, did anyone else notice Judd looking at the monitors and then smoothing down his hair at the back?

sevendaughters

Trump plays Jason Theron of South Africa today. Never heard of him but he has run deep in big tournaments before, so no mug.

If he wins he plays either Naoyuki Oi of Japan or Wun Kun Lin or Taiwan, both of whom are also proper players.

If he wins that he plays either David Alcaide, who has won big tournaments, or Marc Bijsterbosch, who won the European 10-ball tournament in 2017.

If he wins that he's in the last 16 where it goes back to straight knockout.

If he can win one more match and not get powerdunked by Oi or Lin then this has not been a terrible run.

Jayson Shaw and Darren Appleton are the Brits still alive on the winner side of the draw.

sevendaughters

Trump has been allocated table 2 for his next round match, which has a youtube livestream. If I'm online when he plays I'll throw up the link.

Blue Jam

sevendaughters

he'll be on next on this stream, but probably not for at least 30 mins or more - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dOgeR04ZNg

sevendaughters

right I am sure he is next on and the prev match just finished

Blue Jam