Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:01:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2021

Started by dr beat, January 03, 2021, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Back to Q school for White, the ultimate ignominy. Reann knocked out in 1st qualifier. Snooker becoming a hegemony,

sevendaughters

there's a 15 year old from Ukraine on today - Iulian Boiko - he's level at 1-1 with Jamie Clarke. Quite a few non-traditional snooker nations up today - France, Brazil, Pakistan. Rebecca Kenna plays tonight.

sevendaughters

this vid of Vahedi at the end of his 6-5 loss from 5-2 up is desolate
https://twitter.com/147Magtr/status/1379133745442226179

druss

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 05, 2021, 11:46:05 PM
Oh thank FUCK that's over...

Hope Hendo makes it to the third round and gets knocked out by Aaron Hill or someone.
Nah he needs to make the crucible. If he thought losing 13-4 to Maguire was bad, imagine losing 10-0 to Barry Hawkins.

Feel like he spent years away watching Williams, Higgins and Ronnie winning everything thinking "if they can do it, so can I!".

Which is funny because he can't.

sevendaughters

watching Rory McLeod (now representing Jamaica) vs. French amateur Brian Ochioski. The wily vet McLeod went 4-0 up but it is now 4-3.

if you follow this account he has all the games streaming through links you can put into VLC: https://twitter.com/tibineklara

Blue Jam

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 06, 2021, 05:55:34 PM
watching Rory McLeod (now representing Jamaica)

Bit like Michael Georgiou, who went from representing England to representing Cyprus. How does that work exactly? You don't seem to get snooker players from Wales representing England and vice versa (for example). No-one like Michael Owen or Vinnie Jones in fitba.

Is there an advantage to changing home nation too? Getting a wildcard for an underrepresented nation or something? A greater chance of getting to represent your new home nation? Or is it purely a personal thing?

Fair play if someone just feels more comfortable with a different identity.

bgmnts

Stephen Hendry vs Jimmy White

Is it 1996?

Is Hendry skint or something? I thought he quit snwcer because he was shit?

Got this:

QuoteIn August 2011, HM Revenue and Customs successfully applied to Glasgow Sheriff Court to liquidate the assets of Stephen Hendry Snooker Ltd, the company set up to manage Hendry's sponsorships and promotion, following its failure to pay an £85,000 tax bill.[

Blue Jam

Divorced as well. Left James Cahill's aunt for a younger model. Think he used some creative accounting to pretend he was bankrupt during divorce proceedings but eventually coughed up.

Blue Jam

Is there a live stream of today's action on anywhere please? Eurosport are showing the cycling and I can't find a link on Bazzavision or YouTube.

Rebecca Kenna and Brandon Sargeant on now, pretty close.

EDIT: Live stream, not the best but better than nothing:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=148486197190553&ref=search

Blue Jam

This Brandon Sargeant fella is a bit hot-blooded. Ragibg away to himself like Stephen Maguire, is Sarge.

Good close match this!

sevendaughters

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 06, 2021, 11:04:22 PM
This Brandon Sargeant fella is a bit hot-blooded. Ragibg away to himself like Stephen Maguire, is Sarge.

Good close match this!

Probably not going to finish until about 1am though. Scrappy in a good way.

sevendaughters

Hard lines for Kenna. Thought she played as well as a lot of the guys at this level and would have probably taken frames off Hendry. From what I've seen so far only about 4 of the players at this rd (Oliver Lines, Jamie Wilson, James Cahill, Si Jiahui) have a shot at getting to Q4, let alone R1 of the World Champs.

Lukas Kleckers currently annihilating the snookerist and part-time rapper Peter Devlin.

EOLAN

Capacity crowd (provisionally) announced for the Final. With 75% for the quarters and semis.

Am finding these early round matches very compelling. Mainly due to the crapness. Don't know whether any shot that seems so basic when watching Robertson/Trump etc... could be missed or not. Once I am invested in a player it is more engaging than a high quality game; where I fast forward/look at phone when a top player has potted three balls and is set to open up the bunch for a big break. Can just feel the high tension in so many of the games; which contributes to a lot of the scrappiness.

My hometown boy of Aaron Hill seems to be a in a nice competitive match at moment. Currently leading 4-3.

Blue Jam

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 07, 2021, 12:11:08 PM
Hard lines for Kenna. Thought she played as well as a lot of the guys at this level and would have probably taken frames off Hendry.

Yes, I'd been rooting for Kenna, bad luck there. Great long-potter and some impressive safety shots, great control. Sargeant could be a bit hasty and make mistakes but got some serious break-building underway when he pulled focus. Again, a bit like Stephen Maguire ;)

Would love to see Cahill get through again, I love his swagger. He can also be a bit hasty and overconfident but hopefully he's ironed that out a bit now. I do hope he's not going to be a one-hit wonder.

sevendaughters

Last 4 matches of Q1 playing now. Rooting for Ka Ka Kavoskii Russia's Greatest Cue Machine. Hendry on tonight in Q2. How many frames will he win? I say 2.

Blue Jam

Jan Verhaas is back and still looking badass.

Blue Jam

Tense stuff between children of the baize Ben Mertens and Lei Peifan now. Lei levelled from 5-1 behind and Mertens had his head in his hands at the thought of having to go back to Q school when Lei missed a red. Just the colours left and 8 points in it now, awkward table too...

Blue Jam

Any chance Stephen Hendry could meet his nephew in the quals?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 07, 2021, 06:37:57 PM
Tense stuff between children of the baize Ben Mertens and Lei Peifan now. Lei levelled from 5-1 behind and Mertens had his head in his hands at the thought of having to go back to Q school when Lei missed a red. Just the colours left and 8 points in it now, awkward table too...

Mertens Vahedi'd that one pretty badly.

All eyes on Hendry now obviously but I have one eye on Lee Walker against Nigel Bond. Walker beat Doherty in a marathon scrap, he might get a reputation as the old man killer.

Blue Jam

Gutted for Mertens, poor lad. Never mind, he's 16, he's got plenty of time to bounce back.

sevendaughters

3-1 at the interval to Xu Si against Hendry. Xu played two shots in that frame that were pretty remarkable:

i. on the blue with the next red down into the corner but no route to a colour as the pink was away and the black frozen to the cushion. He stunned the blue in so the cueball froze on the blue spot and had to be re-spotted on the black spot, giving him a shot after the next red.

ii. on the baulk colours but hampered by the blue. gets the rest out and releases he needs the spider but can't be arsed. instead he just lifts the rest up and plays a shot with it in mid-air and pockets the ball and gets position on the next.

Blue Jam

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 07, 2021, 03:11:30 PMHendry on tonight in Q2. How many frames will he win? I say 2.

Did you put money on this? Never mind, there's still hope...

sevendaughters

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 07, 2021, 10:01:38 PM
Did you put money on this? Never mind, there's still hope...

I wish! Anyway, he'll have to clear up to get to 2 frames but the table is nice.

sevendaughters

...and he didn't. 6-1 to Xu. Never looked in it. No way can this comeback continue.

Blue Jam

Now I hope Cahill qualifies and goes on to become an eight-time winner.

I know that won't happen, I just want to imagine the look on Uncle Stephen's face.

druss

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 07, 2021, 10:28:43 PM
Now I hope Cahill qualifies and goes on to become an eight-time winner.

I know that won't happen, I just want to imagine the look on Uncle Stephen's face.
I'd take them meeting at some point and Cahill battering him. That's the dream.

Or if he beats him at snooker, that would be good too.

EOLAN

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 07, 2021, 09:06:18 PM

ii. on the baulk colours but hampered by the blue. gets the rest out and releases he needs the spider but can't be arsed. instead he just lifts the rest up and plays a shot with it in mid-air and pockets the ball and gets position on the next.

Mark Williams been doing the rest up in the air shot quite a few times lately.

sevendaughters

Quote from: EOLAN on April 08, 2021, 09:59:48 AM
Mark Williams been doing the rest up in the air shot quite a few times lately.

it's really impressive, can't even articulate why.

got Julien Leclercq on. 3-2 down against Chang Bingyu but in amongst the balls in the 6th.

sevendaughters

Leclercq down 5-2 so switched over to Next Ronnie O'Sullivan #384922 Jamie Wilson, who is 3-1 up against Jak Jones. Not too many players from Q1 are even making it to Q3 (0 out of 4 so far) but this kid has the monotremes below the line on snooker.org and the snooker island faithful excited.

sevendaughters

Wilso went 4-1 up but pegged back to 4-4 by Jones, who seems pretty handy. Can see why he's not top 50: he loves to play an enigmatic sweeping screw shot where the natural angle doesn't even favour it. Went from right side of blue to pink via baulk. Showboating a bit while making 130, but easy to see why the decent players like Riggins and Ding ate him up in the season.

Gao Yang was 5-1 against Lyu Haotian too, that's 5-5. So tough for those Q1 guys to get through 2 rounds.