Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:11:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2021

Started by dr beat, January 03, 2021, 03:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidnightShambler

Higgins is a nice bloke (or was back when I met him a few times, could be a complete cunt now for all I know) and there's no doubting he's one of the greatest ever. But he's as bent as fuck and the only reason no top pro came out and called him for it was because every single other one is too. There wasn't a single player I knew of back in the days when I was around it regularly who hadn't thrown the odd frame. No harm done, still win 6-2 against Robert Milkins or whoever, the correct result still occurred. Just a nice 5k to the holiday fund too, it was thought of as being a victimless crime.

I think I've mentioned this before but about 20 years ago I was playing in a county pool match at The Bradford Hilton, Sky Sports were covering it as there was a pro event happening too that some of us were involved in. Anyway, James Wattana had a snooker club not far from the venue.

The day before the event kicked off, lots of us went for a practice in the snooker club, as the Hilton wasn't up to much. Some of the pro snooker players of the time who played pool also were in there, lots of gambling going on with the Asian locals from a certain fraternity. I watched a Welsh pro beat a local guy in a two-frame cumulative score game at £100 a point stakes. And he annihilated him. Big losses, the guy was almost in fucking tears. It wasn't his money to lose.
There was a certain portly player there too who was quite heavily involved in trying to recruit us to play with his 'backing' against some of the local top amateurs who wouldn't play against the pro's, smaller stakes but still significant. I declined. He made a little bit of news a few years later for liking a bet.

Anyway, long story short the guy the pro battered was found with his throat cut in the NCP next door to the Hilton in the morning and the whole event was called off as the place became a crime scene. We all gave statements but nobody saw a thing.

Next time I caught up with some of the lads at an international in Butlins Minehead they filled me in on the state of pro snooker. Essentially, everybody is in the pocket of gangs to some degree but there's honesty of sorts in that nobody will ever be asked to throw a whole match, just a couple of frames here and there. And they aren't daft enough to do it at a televised event. Now this was 20 years ago, Barry Hearn may have changed things. But I fucking doubt it.

Blue Jam

Quote from: MidnightShambler on January 16, 2021, 12:27:01 AM
Thank you very much, I dip in now and again but not as much as I used to. Watching Judd Trump win things makes me upset.

That's one of the good things about this year's Masters. While I wouldn't wish the 'vid on anyone it is nice to know Judd Trump won't be winning. I've been getting so bored of him winning everything. Lockdown has been boring enough already.

QuoteHope you're well :)

I'm good thanks, hope you're well too and not missing the table too much!

poo

kidney

Titanic battle here between Erotic Yan and Ballrun, hoping the former can pull out a win.

Blue Jam

I have noticed all the refs are British, with the exception of Tatiana Woolaston who is married to Ben Woolaston and presumably living in the UK. Did all the other refs go home for Christmas and get stranded there?

Blue Jam

I like Yan's Breaking Bad tie.

Beats the Bazza Shitcrown waistcoat patch.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What a fuckup by Bingham there

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 16, 2021, 05:38:28 PM
I like Yan's Breaking Bad tie.

Beats the Bazza Shitcrown waistcoat patch.

All the more reason why he should be Bingtown Waspman

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Nice one Yan. Final won't be 100% gammon now.

Blue Jam

Ronnie O'Sullivan and Jimmy White have the same voice. It's unnerving.

druss

I like Bingtao and I think he will end up winning a triple crown event at some point but not a chance he beats Higgins tomorrow.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: druss on January 16, 2021, 09:36:20 PM
I like Bingtao and I think he will end up winning a triple crown event at some point but not a chance he beats Higgins tomorrow.

Yeah Ballrun* was awful and still almost crawled dribbling into the final.

*On this occasion I am using the official World Snooker nickname because it's the only one that sounds more like an insult than a compliment

MidnightShambler

Stick me neck out and say Bingtao wins it tomorrow and wins it easy.

Blue Jam

Would love to see a Bingtao win tomorrow. Feels like it  could go either way. Very high standard these last few matches, I've been loving it.

Blue Jam

Respotted black!

Gwaaaaarn Yan

Blue Jam

Higgins was just eyeing up a four-ball plant, balls not in full alignment, the kind of reckless and risky shot you'd have to be mad or a plucky amateur to attempt.

Got the pot! Wow.

Norton Canes

I think they were lined up. Only heard one click. Literally unmissable.

Blue Jam

Frame 13 down to the black ball, Yan snatches it from right under the nose on Higgins' big gammony face.

Why is no-one else watching this?

Blue Jam

Imagine Yan playing Ding at poker. The totally unreadable Young Chinese Lad would have Ding's eyelid twitching him into bankruptcy.

kidney

Man it's gonna sting so much if Bingtao loses this from here

poo

Blue Jam

Higgins was raging at himself like Maguire when he last re-entered the arena.

Cor, Yan is a machine. Not in a bad way like Trump or Selby, in a good way like Marcel Eckhardt.

poo

Blue Jam

Foul and a miss from 4mm away? Fuck's sake Riggins.

Norton Canes

Now THAT is a snooker

Blue Jam

Absolutely beautiful snooker that. And Yan has retaken control...

kidney

9-8 to Bingtao! Come on you erotic young man

sevendaughters

not a huge fan of Chinese soft power projects but come on Yan lad

Norton Canes

I like Hendry. Could Hendry not have kept on playing instead of Higgins? He's only six years older.